Undescended testicles.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Well I took duke in to get checked today - thought he might have kennel cough-he doesn't but during examination the vet said he only had one testicle. I posted in the past that when he gets really excited or nervous that it goes back up. I mean he's been to that vet before and they have noted that both testicles were down. I use this vet for minor stuff as its a walk-in clinic open 7 days a week what I don't like is they typically only have young vets that are fresh out of school- my quam is they typically don't have bully experience. She went on and on how the testicle needs to be remove etc and basically infered she didn't believe me that they have been down. Has anyone had experience with the testicles being down and going up? He will be 6 months tomorrow. I'm gonna call his normal vet tomorrow to see what he has to say. He has been in practice 35 years and knows bulldogs really well. I drive over an hour to see him. Any thoughts?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have not had experience with a testicle going up and down. I do know that if he has a retained testicle, it would be prone to becoming cancerous. A little toy poodle I had, had a surgery for that reason. If your bully vet is knowledgeable, I would go by what he recommends.Perhaps this could happen if he is not quite mature yet? Your vet will give you good advice.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no experiece this, but go with your gut and talk it over with your normal vet. See what he thinks should be done .... if anything!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake had one that didn't drop until he was 10 months..there were times the vet could feel it more than others, but it ended up fine. Duke is still young...

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Jake had one that didn't drop until he was 10 months..there were times the vet could feel it more than others, but it ended up fine. Duke is still young...

That's what I'm thinking. Just found a good article explaining Cryptorchidism. It said in some breeds such as bulldogs, Great Danes, ssome toy breeds that this can't be diagnosed with complete certainty until about 12-18 months.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's what I'm thinking. Just found a good article explaining Cryptorchidism. It said in some breeds such as bulldogs, Great Danes, ssome toy breeds that this can't be diagnosed with complete certainty until about 12-18 months.

Guarantee the other Vet will say to not worry about it. Buster had one that didn't drop and then did and then went back and then dropped for good at 10 months. I think you nailed it when you said about those vets being green. No worries he'll get the full package. HAPPY TO HEAR there's NO kennel cough. Thank G!!!!!!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not experienced it with mu pups, but a friend did with her Corso... so the vet just waited till he was 1 year old before neutering just to make it easier on the pup, because going in after one that has not dropped is very evasive and really painful

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Spoke to dukes regular vet he said not to worry since they were both down so early. told me where to feel and said if I felt em gently massage it back to the scrotum- low and behold duke now has both testicles in the scrotum. This is so important to me because I want to show him. For some of the newer members it is soooooo important to have a knowledgeable bully vet you trust. Had I been a rookie owner this other vet I saw Sunday probably would have convinced me to duke neutered Monday morning!! Thankfully I'm not a rookie and i have ebn. Have a great day all!

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
We had a Yorkie that only had one testicle come down, it's call cryptorchid. We had to have him neutered. They had to cut his abdomen open to remove one of his testicles. As someone else had said, we were told that if we did not do the surgery that it was very likely he would develop cancer. Also, we were informed that it is genetic.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Can't fully recall when Stig's descended but it was past 6 months of age.

Fantastic that you waited until you saw your other vet. Good ones are priceless aren't they? And of course ebn too ... helps avoid panic attacks. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online