No more dog park for Luca

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The trainer we have coming over to the house also does an adult class at a local store (can't mention name, trainers aren't supposed to work on the side) so Luca can have well supervised socialization time there. :)

I think you're right. Trainer is best for Luca.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Well..I hate dog parks. It's unfortunate, really, but there are always out of control dogs, because of their owners. Have you thought of a more controlled Enviroment? My sister, who is a professional tainer, just opened a location that has a great indoor play yard ..supervised. It is open to the public, but most are members and get members only time nd the dogs really get to know each other. Sadly, it's 2 hours away, so we don't get to use it.. :( just on special trips..but there are places like hers all over the country. They even have Wednesday night Social Evening..with beer and pizza for the humans, while the doggies get to play! You might check to see if there is anything around..
Wow, California has everything. Would love something like that around here.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow, California has everything. Would love something like that around here.

Lol! Well..we indeed DO have EVERYTHING! Not all so wonderful..lol....but..I do believe they are in other states too. It's not a franchise, but many have the name "Dogspot". It really is a great place.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
I used to take jameson and when i had titan to the dog park u til some guy yelled at me one day. The dogs were all in a group playing and titan had just finished going around marking the fence and saw the play. He proceeded to run full force to the pile....dove over and into the middle of he pile. He is tall and lanky. Well the other dogs didnt like that but titan thought it was the best. I was then berated by some guy who told me i should never bring my dogs to the park they were aggressive and a shouldnt be allowed out. I was lime what???? My dogs have never snapped growled or been mean. They were trying to play. I was i. Tears and everyone there was like what???? We left and i have never been back. I take jameson to camp bowwow for playtime. They keep them by size and have a monitor with the groups at a times. He loves it

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I used to take jameson and when i had titan to the dog park u til some guy yelled at me one day. The dogs were all in a group playing and titan had just finished going around marking the fence and saw the play. He proceeded to run full force to the pile....dove over and into the middle of he pile. He is tall and lanky. Well the other dogs didnt like that but titan thought it was the best. I was then berated by some guy who told me i should never bring my dogs to the park they were aggressive and a shouldnt be allowed out. I was lime what???? My dogs have never snapped growled or been mean. They were trying to play. I was i. Tears and everyone there was like what???? We left and i have never been back. I take jameson to camp bowwow for playtime. They keep them by size and have a monitor with the groups at a times. He loves it

A friend of mine goes to camp bowwow every day. I've heard a lot of great things about that place :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
To be honest I am not sure. It happened nearly the second we walked in. I was walking in the direction of the bench I wanted to put my bag down on and I happened behind me. This is what I believe happened. When you bring your dog into the first enclosure to unleash; all the dogs that are already on the park are ganging up in front o the gate barking and anxiously waiting to meet you and your dog. It's not unusual. It's possible Luca was overwhelmed right off the bat and felt threatened or just over exited and the dog he got jnto it with was a victim of circumstance. That's why I was kinda standoffish with the owner of te other dog. For all I know their dog may have triggered it. Either way I'm on the spot cause regardless of who started it; Luca was finishing it.

Kind of thought this would be close to the reason.... public dog parks are just a mess and an accident waiting to happen. having worked at a dog daycare for 4 years, what you describe we had to supervise and regulate every dog entering the play area all day long. Dogs in the area are trained to stay away from the gate as the new dog enters and once entered and the gate is closed the pups knew, play was on. Now, there is NEVER perfection there were dogs that needed to be walked into the area on leash regardless of the gate activity - why, because it is just how they were, coming in full throttled did not work. My point is, public dog parks are not a safe environment because 9 owners out of 10 do not in any way understand dog behavior and think what happen that day with your boy and the other pup is because one of them is aggressive or out of control....may be one of them is, but good chance, no they aren't they were just being a dog and reacting to over excitement or one of them said 'hello' the wrong way.... there is no real leadership because most are not paying any attention to their dog until something happens. Basically, it is 'Lord of the Flies'

It is great you are doing more training with Luca, it never hurts, but please do not be so hard on yourself or Luca....

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Kind of thought this would be close to the reason.... public dog parks are just a mess and an accident waiting to happen. having worked at a dog daycare for 4 years, what you describe we had to supervise and regulate every dog entering the play area all day long. Dogs in the area are trained to stay away from the gate as the new dog enters and once entered and the gate is closed the pups knew, play was on. Now, there is NEVER perfection there were dogs that needed to be walked into the area on leash regardless of the gate activity - why, because it is just how they were, coming in full throttled did not work. My point is, public dog parks are not a safe environment because 9 owners out of 10 do not in any way understand dog behavior and think what happen that day with your boy and the other pup is because one of them is aggressive or out of control....may be one of them is, but good chance, no they aren't they were just being a dog and reacting to over excitement or one of them said 'hello' the wrong way.... there is no real leadership because most are not paying any attention to their dog until something happens. Basically, it is 'Lord of the Flies'

It is great you are doing more training with Luca, it never hurts, but please do not be so hard on yourself or Luca....

Great advice and so spot on!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online