No more dog park for Luca

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I hate dog parks. It's unfortunate, really, but there are always out of control dogs, because of their owners. Have you thought of a more controlled Enviroment? My sister, who is a professional tainer, just opened a location that has a great indoor play yard ..supervised. It is open to the public, but most are members and get members only time nd the dogs really get to know each other. Sadly, it's 2 hours away, so we don't get to use it.. :( just on special trips..but there are places like hers all over the country. They even have Wednesday night Social Evening..with beer and pizza for the humans, while the doggies get to play! You might check to see if there is anything around..

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
It's a strange mentality but people who bring there dogs in the park on a leash always get attacked. That's why there is a seperate enclosure where you take the leash off before entering. It's unfortunate. He loves the park so much

From what I learned from dog trainers never take your dog into a dog park on a leash it can lead to fights because they are more prone to want to "protect" you. Also they can feel overwhelmed if mulipule dogs are trying to greet them and they cannot move or manuver away if on a leash.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mike, I agree that you're being hard on yourself. If you were a true "jerk" you wouldn't be feeling this bad! I avoid dog parks myself only b/c my experiences there haven't been very positive ones either. You could try taking Luca to a daycamp where there are people there to watch him interact w/the other dogs. I take mine to Petsmart doggie daycamp often. The training is a good idea too. Good luck!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's a strange mentality but people who bring there dogs in the park on a leash always get attacked. That's why there is a seperate enclosure where you take the leash off before entering. It's unfortunate. He loves the park so much

Don't be so hard on yourself man. This is all about him growing up, growing pains. Some English have that bad a$$ attitude and should they're the KINGS of the Dog world!! He's a playful tike and he's a baby and if he wants to grow up to be King of that park so be it.....don't stop taking him because a hand full of bad apples got weird. He'll learn that he cant do what you don't want him to do. He isn't even a year old yet. That escape act he pulled the other day is the same thing, he's a baby, he'll learn.

You said about playing rough with him could possibly be making him that way. I play like that with Buster all the time, my wife gives me MASSIVE grief about it mostly because he has injured me pretty bad but I think it releases the energy that would otherwise be used up by doing bad stuff. Like chewing shoes or digging random holes in the yard or in the rug or ESCAPING the home while you're in shower.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I just went to see the trainer who handled him at his puppy classes and made arrangements for private lessons at my home. She said she has a dog that she will bring to help with proper socialization. It's big $ but who gives a s***, right? Hopefully I can readjust his behavior before he gets too old to learn.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have nothing to offer except support. I won't take Dudley to the dog park -- he's tall and weighs 80 pounds...I'm always afraid he will get into it with another dog, or one will go after him...and he's a lot of dog for me to try and separate! He's usually pretty good with other dogs on his leash at the regular park, but I just don't think I would trust him...or other dogs! I love him...but I'm afraid...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What happen to cause the 'get into it'?

Brutusbearsdad

Apr 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I read this post and immediately thought of my own little tank. Brutus, he can get very rough in play, and even when their are bigger dogs he immediately puffs up his chest, perks his head right up and gets into this tough guy stance. Brutus has never been a fighter though, but his play is very rough at time. Sometimes to the point of grabbing a back leg in his mouth. Over time i have worked to correct this. And as soon as I see him go for the legs, I leash him again and play time is done. No need for him to be biting! His bite is very, very strong. This used to be a big thing with the bigger dogs. But now, his roughness in play is different. instead of taking out the legs, now he will run up to the dog, and throw his front paws into their side, he then pushes off of them as he pushes them and swings his butt around to them. Kind of hard to explain, but it still manages to piss off some dogs. He is about 64 lbs, and a little over a year and a half. His ribs are easily felt, and his waist is very apparent and the vets have said he is right where he should be for his size. I have come to the conclusion that some bullies just don't realize their strength or size. Big things come in little packages especially with these guys! He also tried to throw himself on top of other dogs, like he's trying to pin them. Once at petco, we ran into another bully and he was exactly the same, they were both throwing their weight around into each other but at the same time you could see it was all in good fun. Sorry, a little distracted from the post.

But like i said, what worked for me was realizing what was the beginning of the behavior I was trying to correct, or stop it before it was allowed to happen. I don't remember what it was, but their was a point when I could tell he was going to lunge for a leg, and when i saw it I grabbed his collar, leashed him, and we went on our way, dragging Brutus away haha.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Cesar Millan clearly addresses this type of thing in many of his blogs and videos. Yes, playing roughly with your dog is promoting this behavior with other dogs. As the pack leader you are supposed to establish the acceptible energy level in play. If you teach your dog that being aggressive in play is acceptable, then obviously he is going to do the same with other dogs. I totally blame myself for a why Baxter is biting so much right now. I always used my hands near his mouth when playing. A rookie mistake with puppies and even kittens. Never do that. Then their mouth becomes the focus of aggressive play with other animals and people. I have to untrain him now.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
What happen to cause the 'get into it'?

To be honest I am not sure. It happened nearly the second we walked in. I was walking in the direction of the bench I wanted to put my bag down on and I happened behind me. This is what I believe happened. When you bring your dog into the first enclosure to unleash; all the dogs that are already on the park are ganging up in front o the gate barking and anxiously waiting to meet you and your dog. It's not unusual. It's possible Luca was overwhelmed right off the bat and felt threatened or just over exited and the dog he got jnto it with was a victim of circumstance. That's why I was kinda standoffish with the owner of te other dog. For all I know their dog may have triggered it. Either way I'm on the spot cause regardless of who started it; Luca was finishing it.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Don't be so hard on yourself man. This is all about him growing up, growing pains. Some English have that bad a$$ attitude and should they're the KINGS of the Dog world!! He's a playful tike and he's a baby and if he wants to grow up to be King of that park so be it.....don't stop taking him because a hand full of bad apples got weird. He'll learn that he cant do what you don't want him to do. He isn't even a year old yet. That escape act he pulled the other day is the same thing, he's a baby, he'll learn.

You said about playing rough with him could possibly be making him that way. I play like that with Buster all the time, my wife gives me MASSIVE grief about it mostly because he has injured me pretty bad but I think it releases the energy that would otherwise be used up by doing bad stuff. Like chewing shoes or digging random holes in the yard or in the rug or ESCAPING the home while you're in shower.

You know what sux, Phil? When I first started going to the dog park I saw those brain dead owners with out of control dogs and aggressive dogs. And all day yesterday that's what I felt like. I was waiting for knock on the door from the cops or a clerk from a lawyers office, wondering if the other owner took my license plate number to sue us later for vet bills. That level of anxiety makes it impossible for me to wrap my head around going back to that park or any other park for that matter. It sux

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Please get him some more training, he's too young to not. He should be able to learn and adjust. In the future, I'd leave out details of the event, just for liability reasons.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Please get him some more training, he's too young to not. He should be able to learn and adjust. In the future, I'd leave out details of the event, just for liability reasons.

I hear ya. If the injuries were serious of even visible it never would have made it to the forum :)

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Mike, I agree that you're being hard on yourself. If you were a true "jerk" you wouldn't be feeling this bad! I avoid dog parks myself only b/c my experiences there haven't been very positive ones either. You could try taking Luca to a daycamp where there are people there to watch him interact w/the other dogs. I take mine to Petsmart doggie daycamp often. The training is a good idea too. Good luck!

The trainer we have coming over to the house also does an adult class at a local store (can't mention name, trainers aren't supposed to work on the side) so Luca can have well supervised socialization time there. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.