Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more dog park for Luca

Baxter Tiberius

Default Re: No more dog park for Luca

Cesar Millan clearly addresses this type of thing in many of his blogs and videos. Yes, playing roughly with your dog is promoting this behavior with other dogs. As the pack leader you are supposed to establish the acceptible energy level in play. If you teach your dog that being aggressive in play is acceptable, then obviously he is going to do the same with other dogs. I totally blame myself for a why Baxter is biting so much right now. I always used my hands near his mouth when playing. A rookie mistake with puppies and even kittens. Never do that. Then their mouth becomes the focus of aggressive play with other animals and people. I have to untrain him now.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    What happen to cause the 'get into it'?
    To be honest I am not sure. It happened nearly the second we walked in. I was walking in the direction of the bench I wanted to put my bag down on and I happened behind me. This is what I believe happened. When you bring your dog into the first enclosure to unleash; all the dogs that are already on the park are ganging up in front o the gate barking and anxiously waiting to meet you and your dog. It's not unusual. It's possible Luca was overwhelmed right off the bat and felt threatened or just over exited and the dog he got jnto it with was a victim of circumstance. That's why I was kinda standoffish with the owner of te other dog. For all I know their dog may have triggered it. Either way I'm on the spot cause regardless of who started it; Luca was finishing it.

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself man. This is all about him growing up, growing pains. Some English have that bad a$$ attitude and should they're the KINGS of the Dog world!! He's a playful tike and he's a baby and if he wants to grow up to be King of that park so be it.....don't stop taking him because a hand full of bad apples got weird. He'll learn that he cant do what you don't want him to do. He isn't even a year old yet. That escape act he pulled the other day is the same thing, he's a baby, he'll learn.

You said about playing rough with him could possibly be making him that way. I play like that with Buster all the time, my wife gives me MASSIVE grief about it mostly because he has injured me pretty bad but I think it releases the energy that would otherwise be used up by doing bad stuff. Like chewing shoes or digging random holes in the yard or in the rug or ESCAPING the home while you're in shower.
    You know what sux, Phil? When I first started going to the dog park I saw those brain dead owners with out of control dogs and aggressive dogs. And all day yesterday that's what I felt like. I was waiting for knock on the door from the cops or a clerk from a lawyers office, wondering if the other owner took my license plate number to sue us later for vet bills. That level of anxiety makes it impossible for me to wrap my head around going back to that park or any other park for that matter. It sux

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

Please get him some more training, he's too young to not. He should be able to learn and adjust. In the future, I'd leave out details of the event, just for liability reasons.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daphnee View Post
    Please get him some more training, he's too young to not. He should be able to learn and adjust. In the future, I'd leave out details of the event, just for liability reasons.
    I hear ya. If the injuries were serious of even visible it never would have made it to the forum

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Mike, I agree that you're being hard on yourself. If you were a true "jerk" you wouldn't be feeling this bad! I avoid dog parks myself only b/c my experiences there haven't been very positive ones either. You could try taking Luca to a daycamp where there are people there to watch him interact w/the other dogs. I take mine to Petsmart doggie daycamp often. The training is a good idea too. Good luck!
    The trainer we have coming over to the house also does an adult class at a local store (can't mention name, trainers aren't supposed to work on the side) so Luca can have well supervised socialization time there.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kross225 View Post
    The trainer we have coming over to the house also does an adult class at a local store (can't mention name, trainers aren't supposed to work on the side) so Luca can have well supervised socialization time there.
    I think you're right. Trainer is best for Luca.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I hate dog parks. It's unfortunate, really, but there are always out of control dogs, because of their owners. Have you thought of a more controlled Enviroment? My sister, who is a professional tainer, just opened a location that has a great indoor play yard ..supervised. It is open to the public, but most are members and get members only time nd the dogs really get to know each other. Sadly, it's 2 hours away, so we don't get to use it.. just on special trips..but there are places like hers all over the country. They even have Wednesday night Social Evening..with beer and pizza for the humans, while the doggies get to play! You might check to see if there is anything around..
    Wow, California has everything. Would love something like that around here.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnA View Post
    Wow, California has everything. Would love something like that around here.
    Lol! Well..we indeed DO have EVERYTHING! Not all so wonderful..lol....but..I do believe they are in other states too. It's not a franchise, but many have the name "Dogspot". It really is a great place.

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

I used to take jameson and when i had titan to the dog park u til some guy yelled at me one day. The dogs were all in a group playing and titan had just finished going around marking the fence and saw the play. He proceeded to run full force to the pile....dove over and into the middle of he pile. He is tall and lanky. Well the other dogs didnt like that but titan thought it was the best. I was then berated by some guy who told me i should never bring my dogs to the park they were aggressive and a shouldnt be allowed out. I was lime what???? My dogs have never snapped growled or been mean. They were trying to play. I was i. Tears and everyone there was like what???? We left and i have never been back. I take jameson to camp bowwow for playtime. They keep them by size and have a monitor with the groups at a times. He loves it

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nyerathrt View Post
    I used to take jameson and when i had titan to the dog park u til some guy yelled at me one day. The dogs were all in a group playing and titan had just finished going around marking the fence and saw the play. He proceeded to run full force to the pile....dove over and into the middle of he pile. He is tall and lanky. Well the other dogs didnt like that but titan thought it was the best. I was then berated by some guy who told me i should never bring my dogs to the park they were aggressive and a shouldnt be allowed out. I was lime what???? My dogs have never snapped growled or been mean. They were trying to play. I was i. Tears and everyone there was like what???? We left and i have never been back. I take jameson to camp bowwow for playtime. They keep them by size and have a monitor with the groups at a times. He loves it
    A friend of mine goes to camp bowwow every day. I've heard a lot of great things about that place

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Hey Big Mike were both LI'ers ....Chum can play with Luca anytime!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads