Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No more dog park for Luca

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    I know what you mean, Sandra! Mabel has tried to take pieces out of other dogs at the vet's office, too. She was really into a wagging tail that was attached to a dog someone was holding. I just can't trust her.
    my worry is someone making a big deal out of it and me having to put her down which aint gonna happen. or one or both dogs being seriously hurt and i just cant take the chance. im sure part of it is probably me and my fear now. now i go into the vets and check it out-the office is small- and then bring her in after. when we go to petco i just tell them to stay away as she is not friendly.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Sorry that you had to get upset, when you so enjoy the dog park. I have never been to a dog park, as I have a lot of property and I have never seen a dog park, except on TV.
    I agree with the idea of taking him to the park and leaving him on the leash. Having horses, there is a thing called a lunge line-and I believe they may have something similar for
    dog training. It is a lead about 20 ft. long. perhaps you could take him back to the park w a regular leash-so he won't be isolated at home. Then, maybe try using the long line-so that if he gets too rowdy, you can pull him back quickly. My dogs play quite rough with each other and get along well, but if one hurts the other-like a pinching bite(they have never seriously hurt one another) they will get angry and I have to say-take it easy, no fighting! I feel that the less he sees other dogs, the worse things will get. Just my opinion. You know they're like @^$holes everyone's got one
    It's a strange mentality but people who bring there dogs in the park on a leash always get attacked. That's why there is a seperate enclosure where you take the leash off before entering. It's unfortunate. He loves the park so much

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have a dog park here but its so far from my house it makes no sense to go to it I'd have to load Sheldon in the SUV drive all the way across town to the dog park and its not even really a dog park its a few area's fenced off into sections one has a picnic table in it. I'm sorry your having such trouble with Luca, I'd try the muzzle idea that way you have the confidence he isn't going to tear a head off or anything yet have fun until he learns what is acceptable socially.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well..I hate dog parks. It's unfortunate, really, but there are always out of control dogs, because of their owners. Have you thought of a more controlled Enviroment? My sister, who is a professional tainer, just opened a location that has a great indoor play yard ..supervised. It is open to the public, but most are members and get members only time nd the dogs really get to know each other. Sadly, it's 2 hours away, so we don't get to use it.. just on special trips..but there are places like hers all over the country. They even have Wednesday night Social Evening..with beer and pizza for the humans, while the doggies get to play! You might check to see if there is anything around..

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kross225 View Post
    It's a strange mentality but people who bring there dogs in the park on a leash always get attacked. That's why there is a seperate enclosure where you take the leash off before entering. It's unfortunate. He loves the park so much
    From what I learned from dog trainers never take your dog into a dog park on a leash it can lead to fights because they are more prone to want to "protect" you. Also they can feel overwhelmed if mulipule dogs are trying to greet them and they cannot move or manuver away if on a leash.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Mike, I agree that you're being hard on yourself. If you were a true "jerk" you wouldn't be feeling this bad! I avoid dog parks myself only b/c my experiences there haven't been very positive ones either. You could try taking Luca to a daycamp where there are people there to watch him interact w/the other dogs. I take mine to Petsmart doggie daycamp often. The training is a good idea too. Good luck!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kross225 View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself man. This is all about him growing up, growing pains. Some English have that bad a$$ attitude and should they're the KINGS of the Dog world!! He's a playful tike and he's a baby and if he wants to grow up to be King of that park so be it.....don't stop taking him because a hand full of bad apples got weird. He'll learn that he cant do what you don't want him to do. He isn't even a year old yet. That escape act he pulled the other day is the same thing, he's a baby, he'll learn.

You said about playing rough with him could possibly be making him that way. I play like that with Buster all the time, my wife gives me MASSIVE grief about it mostly because he has injured me pretty bad but I think it releases the energy that would otherwise be used up by doing bad stuff. Like chewing shoes or digging random holes in the yard or in the rug or ESCAPING the home while you're in shower.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

I just went to see the trainer who handled him at his puppy classes and made arrangements for private lessons at my home. She said she has a dog that she will bring to help with proper socialization. It's big $ but who gives a s***, right? Hopefully I can readjust his behavior before he gets too old to learn.

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

I have nothing to offer except support. I won't take Dudley to the dog park -- he's tall and weighs 80 pounds...I'm always afraid he will get into it with another dog, or one will go after him...and he's a lot of dog for me to try and separate! He's usually pretty good with other dogs on his leash at the regular park, but I just don't think I would trust him...or other dogs! I love him...but I'm afraid...

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What happen to cause the 'get into it'?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I read this post and immediately thought of my own little tank. Brutus, he can get very rough in play, and even when their are bigger dogs he immediately puffs up his chest, perks his head right up and gets into this tough guy stance. Brutus has never been a fighter though, but his play is very rough at time. Sometimes to the point of grabbing a back leg in his mouth. Over time i have worked to correct this. And as soon as I see him go for the legs, I leash him again and play time is done. No need for him to be biting! His bite is very, very strong. This used to be a big thing with the bigger dogs. But now, his roughness in play is different. instead of taking out the legs, now he will run up to the dog, and throw his front paws into their side, he then pushes off of them as he pushes them and swings his butt around to them. Kind of hard to explain, but it still manages to piss off some dogs. He is about 64 lbs, and a little over a year and a half. His ribs are easily felt, and his waist is very apparent and the vets have said he is right where he should be for his size. I have come to the conclusion that some bullies just don't realize their strength or size. Big things come in little packages especially with these guys! He also tried to throw himself on top of other dogs, like he's trying to pin them. Once at petco, we ran into another bully and he was exactly the same, they were both throwing their weight around into each other but at the same time you could see it was all in good fun. Sorry, a little distracted from the post.

But like i said, what worked for me was realizing what was the beginning of the behavior I was trying to correct, or stop it before it was allowed to happen. I don't remember what it was, but their was a point when I could tell he was going to lunge for a leg, and when i saw it I grabbed his collar, leashed him, and we went on our way, dragging Brutus away haha.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads