Ideal time to get Izzy a big brother or sister....

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Since I got back in the forum I noticed a lot of members that only had 1 bully before now with 2 bullies in their pictures :w00t:....
In my head, it just seems that bulldogs are meant to have or be among other bullies since they are so social!

Izzy is a little over 1 year old now.... is there a certain age that is ideal to introduce her to a possible lil brother or sister? Her breeder keeps telling me that with a second puppy it will be easier since the puppy will follow the big dog... so I am just wondering.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think the closer in age they are, the better. So now would be best! No pressure though. haha.

We got Punks when he was 4, when Stiggy was 1 and a half. They're not that close in age, but they do wrestle everyday.

And Punks joining the family didn't disturb the routine much. I actually feel less guilty leaving them at home alone because they keep each other company. And it's less tiring because we used to always had to keep Stiggy occupied when he was an only bully. The only difference is the the vetting costs. Punks came with loose knees, so we look after them regularly with supplements and laser therapy. And when they both need to be seen by the dog-tor, that's another pretty penny! But they're oh so worth it! No regret. Nuh-uh! :no:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Personally I think closer in age would be best as they would also learn form one another. at least I think they would. We are actually thinking about getting a sister for Harlea as my wife has fallen in love with one here in the last few days. I am not sure if my sanity could handle 2 pups at once though so we might wait until next year as the wife wants another pup and I want to go the rescue route.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I would love another one, but I don't think Mr. Dudley would like it at all!:ohmy:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Even tho Shy isnt a bulldog -we added Lily to our family when Shy was 15 months old , we had few foster dogs all different age and one thing i noticed -they all run out of patience when it came to living with puppy (Shy was 4 months then)having Shy and Lily with only a year or so difference makes them perfect partners ...and (my family doesn't know it yet) in a year or 2 we add another bulldog ;-)))

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Definitely as close as you can with the age. Daddy was just 2 when we got Linus and so he was still quite the puppy, they both just played for hours together!!! And still do!! :luv:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
We have been talking now for a few months on getting Loki a sibling to try and help with his anxiety problems. Bullies seem to do better with a friend :) Closer in age is better from everything that I have read.

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
I got the boys at the same time and they were about 2 weeks apart in age and from different litters. I was not sure about getting 2 boys but it worked out perfectly. It was good they could play together since I was only able to stay home with them for a short time. They are a little over 1 now and will be getting a sister in Feb or March 2014. I think three will be enough for me....maybe :D..lol

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I would make sure the first dog is completely trained and doesn't have any bad habits as the pup will pick up the same bad habits. I didn't want mine too close or too far apart. They are exactly 1 year apart- I mean by like 7 days! Good luck if ya get another one! Twice the headache but twice the fun. Duchess is 18 months and duke is 6 months.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We did not really think HRH would want or accept a sibling in her kingdom. When we go to doggy events just to get her some socialization she mostly just sticks close to us and watches, but never gets into playing with the other dogs. But when the opportunity to rescue Amelia presented itself we just went for it. HRH has adapted quite well, although at first it seemed like she was pleading for us to just take Amy back with the look in her eyes. Now they play every day at tugging and she even instigates it sometimes. We hope eventually Amy will help bring her out of her shell. She wouldn't want the little interloper to get something she didn't have after all. ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We got our two guys, a brother and sister at the same time, they are litter mates, and even though the training was a little tiring, it only lasts for a short time, and since you have one older one that's already trained it won't be that hard. The vet bills are a little more with two, but we have insurance for them so that helps with cost. I would love to add a French Bulldog to my clan, but I just got notice from my landlord that he wants the house back for his daughter to move in, so we have to move in 3 months, we are hoping to buy something instead of continuing to rent, so right now would definetly not be a good time to add a new puppy, plus we already have two dogs and if we end up having to rent again, it's hard to find a rental that accepts pets. I'm hoping to find a house to buy, then we can add another dog, and it will definetely be a Fenchie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Closer in age is better, but they can all adjust - it depends on how you introduce them into the household

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online