Gator drinks too fast....how do I stop him from......

MzGrnMnM

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
Gator has a habit of drinking like its the last time he's going to get any water. With that, he then proceeds to thow up. Then eats it!!!
Anyone else have this issue and if so, any ideas on how to stop this?!?!.:anyone:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston can drink fast, but I got one of those Drinkwell fountains... it has slowed him down & keeps his neck folds from getting soaked. Only other suggestion I would have is limit how much water you put in the bowl...

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley doesn't drink water often during the day, but when he does, it's like he's a camel storing it up for a long trek across the desert. He only brings it back up if he's been playing too hard. I try not to let him drink water right after he's playing, but sometimes he gets away from me!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubbs is the same way. You'd think he's being sent to the chair lol
When we put the water down we make him wait to drink then when he is drinking we take it away from him or tell him Stop to take a little breather. Its helped out alot and he doesn't burp as much.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got good advice already. My guys don't seem to drink a lt of water either, so we put warm water in their kibble to make sure they get enough water during the day. If you find out how to slow own a bully you let us know. Lol

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I got Tilly the Neater Feeder in order to stop her from shoving her entire head into her food bowl (as she would spill and then refuse to eat the food off the floor :rolleyes:... and then spill water on it, creating a nice, thick paste).

It's elevated so that she has to reach into the bowls, and therefore it slows her drinking and eating down considerably, and she can't just go face-first. The elevation is more effective than the spill-catching part of the bowls!

Also, a friend of mine told me before that if Tilly eats or drinks too quickly, all you need to do is put a big toy ball in the bowl. They have to eat/drink around the ball, which slows it down considerably.

Good luck!

OP
MzGrnMnM

MzGrnMnM

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
Very cool, thank you all....I will let you all know how he responds...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I got Tilly the Neater Feeder in order to stop her from shoving her entire head into her food bowl (as she would spill and then refuse to eat the food off the floor :rolleyes:... and then spill water on it, creating a nice, thick paste).

It's elevated so that she has to reach into the bowls, and therefore it slows her drinking and eating down considerably, and she can't just go face-first. The elevation is more effective than the spill-catching part of the bowls!

Also, a friend of mine told me before that if Tilly eats or drinks too quickly, all you need to do is put a big toy ball in the bowl. They have to eat/drink around the ball, which slows it down considerably.

Good luck!
I got the Neater Feeder too for my dogs... Love it!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have one of those 360 Water fountains for the critters that pretty much keeps them from shoving their faces in the bowl and making a mess. Harlea will only drink out of the waterfall portion and not the bowl itself which helps her drink slowly or she drinks out of the bottle that is attached to her crate that is basically a large hamster water bottle with a stainless steel drinking tube.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does this if we aren't paying attention. I'm not real sure how we managed to get him to stop but now all we say is that's enough Sheldon and he will walk away from it. I also noticed he does this if his water is colder than room temperature. So I put filtered water in a bottle and keep it in the room close to his water bowl and fill his bowl as he drinks it down that way it isn't too cold.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.