Runny Nose and Breathing issues

B

Baxter Tiberius

Hi all -

I noticed Baxter was snoring 10x louder than normal the last couple days. I chalked it up to him "growing up fast" as a puppy.
Tonight I came into the room and he was breathing really loud.
His nose is really wet and runny and every inhale i can hear "snot" in it ...
Something is obviously not right for him.

He's been on antibiotics for about 4 days now, which I absolutely hate, but he was sent to me with a staph infection on his skin, which was spreading.
I know antibiotics can really do a number on people, and im sure baby puppies too.
I have been giving him probiotics though, so I am pretty sure this isn't a lack of good "flora".

I would go the allergy route, but I've never heard of runny nose and watery eyes in dogs with allergies.
Plus, nothing has changed in his environment that would cause this.
Except the damn antibiotics.

Any input you can give?

Kevin

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Has he been in contact with any other dogs? It sounds like kennel cough to me. Even sniffing in areas where other dogs are can yield a bout of kennel cough.

You might say "well, I've had him vaccinated for that!" but, as I learned with my bully, kennel cough vaccines are like flu vaccines - they only prevent certain strains but not others.

That said, the treatment for kennel cough would be a round of antibiotics so I would take your Baxter to the vet - heavy congestion and bulldogs is not something you want to mess around with.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It very well could be kennel cough.... But as I am not a vet I cannot say for sure. Have you tried giving him a squirt of lemon juice to see if the phlegm breaks up?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dog was vaccinated for kennel cough, and she still got it after staying in boarding at the vets while we were on a vaca. Big PITA... we had to send our other dog to a friends house because it's highly contagious!!! I would take him to the vets to get a diagnosis... Hope he feels better soon, poor baby!!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
As Jill stated above I would have him checked for kennel cough! It could get serious if not treated! I am sorry you are going through this and I hope you get answers as to what is causing it

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Can't add any better advice than you've already been given, but I'll pray Baxter gets better real soon. :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.