Rumble is recovering!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble was neutered on Friday and absent a small problem with penicillin(the vet believes he is allergic) everything went well. I did not pick him up as I had meetings at work, but my husband took this picture of him. Rumble did not look happy. 20130816_142849.jpg
Luckily, we gave him some medicine for the reaction and all has gone well. The vet said not to walk him (we are up to about a mile walk per day) for the first 24-48 hours afterwards and to try to keep him calm. Saturday he slept most of the day but yesterday he was starting to act more like himself. My question is, when is it ok to start walking him again and what about going to training classes? We are supposed to have training tonight and I cannot get a hold of my trainer to get their opinion. I do not want to let Rumble have too much activity but I have a feeling he will try and run around at home if we do not go to training. If I do walk him, should I start out with a shorter distance?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Rumble was neutered on Friday and absent a small problem with penicillin(the vet believes he is allergic) everything went well. I did not pick him up as I had meetings at work, but my husband took this picture of him. Rumble did not look happy. View attachment 53001
Luckily, we gave him some medicine for the reaction and all has gone well. The vet said not to walk him (we are up to about a mile walk per day) for the first 24-48 hours afterwards and to try to keep him calm. Saturday he slept most of the day but yesterday he was starting to act more like himself. My question is, when is it ok to start walking him again and what about going to training classes? We are supposed to have training tonight and I cannot get a hold of my trainer to get their opinion. I do not want to let Rumble have too much activity but I have a feeling he will try and run around at home if we do not go to training. If I do walk him, should I start out with a shorter distance?

We kept Brutus quiet for a couple of days after neutering him. He was only out of his kennel to eat and do outside business. My vet did not even want Brutus to go to the bathroom outside but he never had pee pee pads in the house and I did not want to him to start going in the house. Brutus also was in obedience school at the time but we skipped his next class as it was only a few days after surgery and I did not want him to lay on the floor somewhere where other dogs were until his stitches were more healed. I think I would call the vet and ask when they think he can start more distance walks before I took him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Rumble, he looks so sad. :( I would wait until you feel that he is back to normal before I did anything with him. I so hope he will feel better soon.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We were able to walk Bacon again within a few days, the big things that we really tried to prevent were running, going up and down the stairs, and jumping up on furniture. We made it close to two weeks without allowing him to do much of either and he was fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, when we had Dozer neutered, the vet recommended we keep him quiet for a week post surgery, no running, or jumping. We only took him out to do his duties, and for the first two days kept him crated because we have his sister as well and they would have played too rough. It is hard to keep them quiet, but necessary so they don't hurt the surgical site, or pop any stitches. I wouldn't take him on any long walks, just short breaks outside for duties, when I had Dozer out of the crate, and he was lying with us on the couch, we put his leash on him, so he wouldn't jump down off the couch or run around. I also wouldn't take him to his training class, because he will get excited with other dogs around, and may try to run and jump, plus he might pick up germs from other dogs, and then you risk getting an infection. Hope Rumble feels better soon, he'll be back to his old self before you know it.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Rumble looks so sad...hope he's feeling much better. Dudley's trainer made us wait two weeks before we resumed classes and homework! She said it would be just too much for him. He really bounced back quickly though...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please give poor Rumble kisses from me & Cami.

I would skip going anywhere and no walks for at least a week, maybe two.

Even if he does feel better, he could get infected...do not chance it, IMHO.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I know its a sad picture but the look on his face is like "Daddy I am going to poop in your car on the way home for doing this to me & tell Mommy her shoes are not safe!!!"

For Tubby's neuter they said to keep him calm and no playing or long walks for the first 5 days.
He was allowed to walk but just long enough to do his busines then it was back inside. It's so hard to try to keep them calm and no playing because there pups

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Glad to hear that Rumble is recovering. Keep us updated on how he is doing.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know its a sad picture but the look on his face is like "Daddy I am going to poop in your car on the way home for doing this to me & tell Mommy her shoes are not safe!!!"

For Tubby's neuter they said to keep him calm and no playing or long walks for the first 5 days.
He was allowed to walk but just long enough to do his busines then it was back inside. It's so hard to try to keep them calm and no playing because there pups

When I first saw the picture it broke my heart...then I looked again and I thought exactly what you said and that payback was going to be trouble. Luckily, he has been pretty good and except for one accident Friday night in his kennel we have not had any problems.

I am trying to keep him calm but that is easier said than done. Although we have noticed that in the mornings he tends to be sleepier this week than in the past. We will see how long that lasts before he is wide awake wanting to play at 6 A.M. every day.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please give poor Rumble kisses from me & Cami.

I would skip going anywhere and no walks for at least a week, maybe two.

Even if he does feel better, he could get infected...do not chance it, IMHO.

Rumble says thank you for the kisses! He loves kisses...both receiving and giving. Well probably more giving than receiving! He is just such a lover some times. We are trying to keep him calm but he is just such a handful. We had never met the vet before his neuter and when Zach went to pick Rumble up they said Rumble acted like he was on crack when I brought him in that morning! :w00t: Both Zach and I said "nope....that is just Rumble!" I always laugh when the local rescue uses an advertisement that says to adopt a couch potato. I think I may sue them for false advertising! :p

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
When I first saw the picture it broke my heart...then I looked again and I thought exactly what you said and that payback was going to be trouble. Luckily, he has been pretty good and except for one accident Friday night in his kennel we have not had any problems.

I am trying to keep him calm but that is easier said than done. Although we have noticed that in the mornings he tends to be sleepier this week than in the past. We will see how long that lasts before he is wide awake wanting to play at 6 A.M. every day.

When we took Tubby back for his recheck I was tempted to lie and say he was in pain to get some meds to calm him down!!! It's probably the hardest job ever to keep them calm! Hang in there it will be over soon :hug:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad to hear Rumble is doing better... that picture is a heartbreaker!!! LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.