dependency ?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
So as Loki is on the mend! Thank god! But I have some concerns I know most of what he is going through now wobbly ness, sleepiness, sore legs and distance vision problems are from the seizures and high temps but hopefully will go away over the next few days but I am thinking more and more that his seizure have something to do with anxiety since he never has issues when were around. Is him coming to work with me and being with me non stop for the next 10 1/2 days going to make the problem worse? Granted there will be time apart a few moments here and there but nothing substantial. I really want to make sure we do this right and give this the best shot possible. The night that changed out dynamic forever we gave Loki the option first to make sure that our life was the life he wanted that hour after we arrived to the vet could have had 3 outcomes him choosing to live, us choosing for him to live and third option I won't mention. He chose us and wanting to be here with us I feel bad because 3 of the seizures are when I came home or when he saw me. I just and not sure that him constantly being with me is the beat idea but i am not ready to leave him yet. Help please I am going a little nuts here.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Sorry of this sounds a little crazy but I am just lost and sean is having concerns as well. We are going to wait till Loki is feeling better and just have another Vet provide a second opinion to try and get a better handle on things. we are also going to try using rescue remedy to see if that will help him too.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think if one of my boys had a seizure and is now recovering I'd want to be with him for these next few days since i'd likely be worried sick if he wasn't. I think it's great that Loki will be able to be with you for the 10 days or so b/c he probably needs the comfort and knowledge that his mom is close by to watch over him. To me, that would make him feel less anxious and more secure, and make his recovery go smoother.

I'm so glad he's doing better now too!!:hug:

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I am very thankful for the next 10 days but its the days that follow I worry about. After he had the first one we went almost a full 7 work days away from each other before the next. I am going to just try and not think about that yet and worry about the right now but it is really scary and hard to do.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I am very thankful for the next 10 days but its the days that follow I worry about. After he had the first one we went almost a full 7 work days away from each other before the next. I am going to just try and not think about that yet and worry about the right now but it is really scary and hard to do.

You can also try, over the next 10 days, leaving Loki for short periods of time...maybe building up to several hours, so that he gets more used to being left alone. When he's alone, turn a radio on to some soothing music or a talk radio program, or turn the TV on. But you're right, try to not worry about what may or may not happen after the 10 days are over...take it day by day and take this time to get Loki back to his old self again!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:goodpost: I was going to suggest the same.

I would also want to be with him to make sure he's okay. Maybe small breaks and radio will help adjust.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
You can also try, over the next 10 days, leaving Loki for short periods of time...maybe building up to several hours, so that he gets more used to being left alone. When he's alone, turn a radio on to some soothing music or a talk radio program, or turn the TV on. But you're right, try to not worry about what may or may not happen after the 10 days are over...take it day by day and take this time to get Loki back to his old self again!

I agree! If he realizes that you are always going to come home, he may be less fearful and anxious.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am not familiar with this at all as I myself have never had a dog with seizures. My nephew does however and his dog is controlled by medication. They had a rough time in the beginning while they were trying to find the right dose of meds. Maybe they can give loki something mild for anxiety when you have to be away from him? I think it is great that you can take him to work especially now. I'm glad to hear he is on the mend and on track to being his old self.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I talked with the vet this morning and we are going to try using rescue remedy on top of the phenobarbital I am also going to try and suck up my own anxieties about the situation and try leaving him in the house when I go out to the garden probably 30 mins alone but not until tomorrow I am not ready to push our luck yet. She is hoping that once the pheno is fully loaded into his system the "groggyness" will also help to calm him some as well.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I talked with the vet this morning and we are going to try using rescue remedy on top of the phenobarbital I am also going to try and suck up my own anxieties about the situation and try leaving him in the house when I go out to the garden probably 30 mins alone but not until tomorrow I am not ready to push our luck yet. She is hoping that once the pheno is fully loaded into his system the "groggyness" will also help to calm him some as well.

Sounds like a great plan. I pray this all works out and he will get back to normal now.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Having had two dogs with seizure disorders-one having to do with injury, I would say that you should take Loki with you. Then you can see if he has any more seizures, even though he is with you.Also it can help judge if the meds need adjusting-if he DOES have one while with you. It seems odd that anxiety could CAUSE seizures, but if he has a seizure disorder, it could exacerbate them. I am happy that he is doing better and pray that seizures (if happen again) will be mild, few and not very often. I know the stress of being afraid that it's going to happen again any minute. Some dogs can be helped during a seizure by placing ice packs on their back. Praying for you all and Loki.:pray2:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon

Is there a window that he can look out to see you outside? I know when I do yard work Bacon just sits in the window and watches what we are doing.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You've gotten some great advice... just wanted you to know that I'm still praying for you guys!!! Keep us posted... :pray:

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Is there a window that he can look out to see you outside? I know when I do yard work Bacon just sits in the window and watches what we are doing.
He does stare out the patio window where he can see some of what is happening and out there he can also look out the front window too. We do and have always left the radio on for him so it isn't so quite in the house alone where any little noise can startle him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.