EB Tails

nwisener

Aug 15, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I am looking at a puppy and I noticed the tail stands up and never lays down. I was told by the breeder it is called a gay tail. Can someone explain to me if that could cause a problem with the puppy? The puppy is beautiful and I really want her but I just want to make sure the tail will not cause the puppy any problems in the future.

Thank You

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
sorry but i know nothing about this.....someone will be along soon that will be able to give you some answers

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
From what I've read gay tails don't seem to pose a health issue. It's more of a showing issue. So if you were looking for a show dog the gay tail is a no go but if she's just gonna be a fur baby a gay tail is not a problem.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I prefer straight tails as its less of an issue with tailpockets easier to clean etc. But as Steph said.. it depends if you want the EB as a pet or as a show dog. Their tails can come in all different shapes and sizes

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
A "gay" tail would only be an issue if you planned on showing her. They are considered faults by show standard.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I prefer straight tails as its less of an issue with tailpockets easier to clean etc. But as Steph said.. it depends if you want the EB as a pet or as a show dog. Their tails can come in all different shapes and sizes

Gay tails do look like a breeze for cleaning. No chossing doggies around with a wet wipe :no:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
As others have said "gay" tails are not acceptable for showing, but on the flip side they are easier to clean as there is little to no tail pocket to collect hair and stuff.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Much easier to clean, both of mine have deep tail pockets and its a chore keeping up with them. When Sarge needs his cleaned he will get in his chair and bark. small pocket less chance of infection.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never heard of it so i tagged a few members that might have some insight... they will be along shortly

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
From what I've read gay tails don't seem to pose a health issue. It's more of a showing issue. So if you were looking for a show dog the gay tail is a no go but if she's just gonna be a fur baby a gay tail is not a problem.

right on :peace2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I myself love gay tails! Okay.... so they are not show quality tails, but I know gay tails are happy tails! Less chance of a tail pocket and if you do get one it will stay cleaner. So to me as an EB owner- I would say it's a huge plus! Many times they also wag their tail instead of wag their whole butts, super cute!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.