JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie's hair on the back of her neck is finally starting to grow in. But her skin just on her neck is still very pink. And the hair on her neck is. Not as thick as the rest of her body. Her skin is only pink on her neck. This is the area that was awful when I first got her. It was basically bare and covered in sores. She has an appointment in two weeks to check her weight and a final check on her wrinkles. On a good note her wrinkles have finally cleared up!!! No more yeast. She does have heavy tear staining. The vet said let her skin calm and that I can start on that next :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Ellie's hair on the back of her neck is finally starting to grow in. But her skin just on her neck is still very pink. And the hair on her neck is. Not as thick as the rest of her body. Her skin is only pink on her neck. This is the area that was awful when I first got her. It was basically bare and covered in sores. She has an appointment in two weeks to check her weight and a final check on her wrinkles. On a good note her wrinkles have finally cleared up!!! No more yeast. She does have heavy tear staining. The vet said let her skin calm and that I can start on that next :)

She looks so much happier and healthier!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I'm taking Ellie to the vet tomorrow to get some shots and get the skin on her neck scraped. I don't know if it from allergies or what the issue is. The skin is irritated and the hair is thin along the back of her neck. It may be something else but I want to make sure. Whatever it is obviously isn't contagious cause Jagger doesn't have it.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm taking Ellie to the vet tomorrow to get some shots and get the skin on her neck scraped. I don't know if it from allergies or what the issue is. The skin is irritated and the hair is thin along the back of her neck. It may be something else but I want to make sure. Whatever it is obviously isn't contagious cause Jagger doesn't have it.

She just looks so much happier and healthier! I'm sure the skin issue will get resolved it just may take time!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie had her vet visit. It all went well. Ellie does have a form of mange that is why the hair on her neck is thinned out. Vet said its not contagious. That she has most likely had it since I rescued her. That it just wasn't noticed because of all the other skin issues she had. That it is noticeable now only because she is healthy and the rest of her skin issues are resolved. He gave me Ivermectin to give her daily for one month and we go back for more skin scraping. Said she may have to have another round of the medicine but she is very healthy. Said the care she is getting now along with the medicine she will be fine. He does not want her to start taking a prescription allergy medicine until her other skin issues are resolved. Said once she is treated properly she may not need it. To just keep giving her the Benadryl.

He said that the mange is a minor issue that is easily treated and it's not all over her. That he was actually more concerned about her face ( yeast infested, bleeding wrinkles) , the huge, infected hot spots that were on her neck and the all over allergy sores. That he was pleasantly surprised at how her physical appearance has changed so much. She is a healthy 50lbs now, is less anxious and more sociable. That's it's amazing how much she has changed in the few months I have had her. Dr. Herrington said in the next 3 months we will have her skin issues resolved and she will be perfect :) This made me happy, knowing he is confident that she is fine and that I am doing what I should be to get her to a healthy point. He does recommend getting her fixed. He said with how she is built ( very WIDE chest and narrow hips) that if she did ever get pregnant she would be VERY uncomfortable and depending on how many puppies would not have enough room for them and would definitely have a c-section. So, he said once we have all the skin issues cleared that is next on the list.

Ellie liked the visit - we look my husband's lab along for his yearly shots. Those two were a handful, let me tell you. I think having him to distract her so much made her less anxious about being there. But was a little difficult since he is 65lbs and she is 50lbs. Good thing they are well behaved on leash. I was honestly afraid they would drag me around :)

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That is absolutely WONDERFUL news!!! So happy she is getting to where she needs to be! You can just SEE the love on her face!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Just got Ellie last night from a family that said " she was becoming too much trouble" :( I haven't even had her a full 24 hours yet. She is underweight and very anxious. She has patches of missing hair on the back of her neck and little sores all over her neck. She has yeast in her nose wrinkles and very pink skin right now. (I was on the nutrition forum and got some very good advice on how to help her with most of these issues). Through out the day I have been having issues with Ellie growling over simple things.... Jagger getting too close when she has a toy, when Jagger would get close to her face.... and so on.

I do realize she is new to our home and on edge and anxious about everything. But Jagger is by no means aggressive or dominant. He is a lover to everyone and everything.

Ellie had been pacing most of the day and just full of anxiety. So, I took her and Jagger on a doubles walk. It started out a little rough but ended up being great. Before we were half way done they were walking side by side and their steps were in sync. I had the biggest smile on my face. She's not aggressive she just isn't settled and comfortable yet.

As the walk went on when a neighborhood dog would startle her, she would immediately go to Jagger's side. The walk seemed to rid her of her anxious energy and she is now calmly sleeping in my bedroom.

I just had to get this out there, I was so worried that even though she needed my help that she would not be able to settle into our home. Taking our first walk together made it alright. I know they can be close and get along, she just need reassurance that we are her forever family.

I was not looking for another bulldog but she needed a home and I could not get her out of my mind and had to have her.
I'm not telling this story for a pat on the back, I just felt that I needed to tell the begining of Ellie's story. She is only one year old and I am her fourth home. Which will be her forever home.
View attachment 52595Ellie and her sad, concerned face
View attachment 52596Jagger being Jagger

Jennye, First of all Thank You for taking Ellie in..... I have to admit myself, I wasn't looking for a baby when I adopted Rocky, and very much the same story with Rambo. Sometimes the heart directs you to where you need to be in life, not only for you, but for others as well. (Ellie) I have mixed one child with another my whole life, as the need has arose. I find that keeping my babies very sociable is key. Jagger will always be Alpha Dog, (Pack Leader) Ellie will always look to him for protection, and comfort. My Rambo, the younger of my two by 6 months, blows Rocky away in weight, and all day long follows Rocky around, and literally when Rocky stops short, Rambo runs straight up his butt. When someone knocks on the door, any thing he's not sure of, he runs straight to Rocky for comfort and protection. If a pet is kept sociable, the chances of the fighting etc are nominal. When my daughter comes over with her Pitt Bull, the three of them run ramped all over the house playing. It's great what you did, and I wish others would see they are just like step brothers. I never had a doubt when getting Rambo, That Rocky would accept him as a step brother, it was never a thought. The two of them play together like real brothers, sleep next to each other, and are inseperatable. These second day they met, they were sleeping side by side, and my secret, I don't love one more than the other, I don't treat one any different than the other, and I let life flow between them, and me. Things will be a'ight, just enjoy and watch them together. :yes: Again, Thank You for taking Ellie in!! She needed you.....

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jennye, First of all Thank You for taking Ellie in..... I have to admit myself, I wasn't looking for a baby when I adopted Rocky, and very much the same story with Rambo. Sometimes the heart directs you to where you need to be in life, not only for you, but for others as well. (Ellie) I have mixed one child with another my whole life, as the need has arose. I find that keeping my babies very sociable is key. Jagger will always be Alpha Dog, (Pack Leader) Ellie will always look to him for protection, and comfort. My Rambo, the younger of my two by 6 months, blows Rocky away in weight, and all day long follows Rocky around, and literally when Rocky stops short, Rambo runs straight up his butt. When someone knocks on the door, any thing he's not sure of, he runs straight to Rocky for comfort and protection. If a pet is kept sociable, the chances of the fighting etc are nominal. When my daughter comes over with her Pitt Bull, the three of them run ramped all over the house playing. It's great what you did, and I wish others would see they are just like step brothers. I never had a doubt when getting Rambo, That Rocky would accept him as a step brother, it was never a thought. The two of them play together like real brothers, sleep next to each other, and are inseperatable. These second day they met, they were sleeping side by side, and my secret, I don't love one more than the other, I don't treat one any different than the other, and I let life flow between them, and me. Things will be a'ight, just enjoy and watch them together. :yes: Again, Thank You for taking Ellie in!! She needed you.....

I totally agree, that the heart directs you. The way you describe Rocky and Rambo is very much the same with Jagger and Ellie. Jagger is the K-9 leader. They are like peas in a pod now. They run into each other all the time, when we are out on our walks Ellie is always bumping into Jagger :) I love Ellie very much, she fits into our nutty little family very well. She is so happy to be here with us. When we call her and love on her, she does what my husband says is her happy dance lol She sits on her butt and her front feet looks like she is running we crack up every time she does it.

Even our vet said today he can see the difference in her and the love she has. Cate was at the vet with me sitting on the floor playing with the office cat. Another dog walked in and Ellie immediately went and stood in front of Cate. Never barked, growled or made an aggressive move. Was just very attentive to where that other dog was in proximity to Cate. We had her in the waiting area so he could see her interact with other unfamiliar people and pets. I am thankful for my vet. He is very involved and not only helps with their health but also behavior. I loved seeing Ellie "protect" Cate.

My babies are the same. As soon as a new four legged friend comes over it is playtime. Jagger is extremely social and loves everyone. Right now it is taking Ellie a little longer to warm up to situations. Jagger helps with this. HE will instigate a wrestling match in the middle of the pet store if he gets the opportunity.

I love hearing adoption and rescue stories, good and bad. It lets you see that there are many in need and many that find their fairy tale.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Very funny moment..... I was sitting in my home office editing pictures. Ellie came in laid at my feet. I put my feet on top of her she stayed for about 30 minutes. Then left. All the sudden I hear horrible snoring, I turned around she had gotten in the lab's kennel and was sleeping :). No clue why she was in there. But she was comfy just snoring away. I tried to get a pic but she woke up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very funny moment..... I was sitting in my home office editing pictures. Ellie came in laid at my feet. I put my feet on top of her she stayed for about 30 minutes. Then left. All the sudden I hear horrible snoring, I turned around she had gotten in the lab's kennel and was sleeping :). No clue why she was in there. But she was comfy just snoring away. I tried to get a pic but she woke up.

Gotta say.... She is nice and comfy in her home

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Found Ellie a cute, cold weather outfit today :)
e7enameg.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I totally agree, that the heart directs you. The way you describe Rocky and Rambo is very much the same with Jagger and Ellie. Jagger is the K-9 leader. They are like peas in a pod now. They run into each other all the time, when we are out on our walks Ellie is always bumping into Jagger :) I love Ellie very much, she fits into our nutty little family very well. She is so happy to be here with us. When we call her and love on her, she does what my husband says is her happy dance lol She sits on her butt and her front feet looks like she is running we crack up every time she does it.

Even our vet said today he can see the difference in her and the love she has. Cate was at the vet with me sitting on the floor playing with the office cat. Another dog walked in and Ellie immediately went and stood in front of Cate. Never barked, growled or made an aggressive move. Was just very attentive to where that other dog was in proximity to Cate. We had her in the waiting area so he could see her interact with other unfamiliar people and pets. I am thankful for my vet. He is very involved and not only helps with their health but also behavior. I loved seeing Ellie "protect" Cate.

My babies are the same. As soon as a new four legged friend comes over it is playtime. Jagger is extremely social and loves everyone. Right now it is taking Ellie a little longer to warm up to situations. Jagger helps with this. HE will instigate a wrestling match in the middle of the pet store if he gets the opportunity.

I love hearing adoption and rescue stories, good and bad. It lets you see that there are many in need and many that find their fairy tale.

I love this post, hearing how Ellie protected Cate and how she went
about it just touched me deeply.

I LOVE BULLIES.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
We were not looking for Ellie. But I was drawn to her for a reason I believe. She fits with us so well. And is even able to tolerate Jagger who is a pest. She is awesome with young children. Is great on her leash and loves her walks. She is a garden hose fanatic. She loves to be touched and just loved on. She has become extremely protective of Cate, especially if we are out and about. Not aggressive, just very aware. She is beginning to get to a point where she can meet 2 and 4 legged friends and not be so afraid.

I am obviously an animal lover, have been as long as I can remember. I feel if you get a animal whatever it may be. You make a commitment for the rest of their life to be their person and take care of them and if you can't take care of them, put them in a better situation. I think Ellie is starting to realize this.

She has found her forever family.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my gosh this made me tear up I don't know why but Ellie and Jagger are very dear to my heart! The way they are with Cate just warms my heart! So happy things are working out so well! Hugs from Sheldon and me!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.