Saving Ellie

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my bless you for saving her. im so glad she will have a wonderful home now. :)

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Sigh.... Last few days Ellie hasn't been eating her food very well. I make their food. Last night and today she just flat out refused to eat :( So today I went and bought an allergen free food. $75 for 17.5lbs. And she LOVES it. We shall see how she does with it. Luckily they were very nice and have me a rebate card to get $15 back. Right now in spend $200 a month making food and its going to be about $30 more a month for allergen free. But to me it's worth it to not have to make it all the time. I had already talked to my vet about transitioning Jagger to it. So, Ellie just kick started the process.

Last edited:
OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie and I watching our Razorbacks play
y5emu4ev.jpg

She loves to touch and have that physical contact
2uvutydy.jpg

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Ellie and I watching our Razorbacks play
y5emu4ev.jpg

She loves to touch and have that physical contact
2uvutydy.jpg

We have the game on too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sigh.... Last few days Ellie hasn't been eating her food very well. I make their food. Last night and today she just flat out refused to eat :( So today I went and bought an allergen free food. $75 for 17.5lbs. And she LOVES it. We shall see how she does with it. Luckily they were very nice and have me a rebate card to get $15 back. Right now in spend $200 a month making food and its going to be about $30 more a month for allergen free. But to me it's worth it to not have to make it all the time. I had already talked to my vet about transitioning Jagger to it. So, Ellie just kick started the process.

What food to you choose to go with?

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
My vet recommended Hills and I said no thank you I went to a place here locally that is vegetarian and got Natural Balance Vegetarian. Ellie loves it. I tried mixing it so not to change her too fast and she refused to eat. :(. So I gave in and just gave her the kibble only. She was so happy cleared to bowl and begged for more. And since this morning she has had the best poo since I've had her. She has gone poo twice since eating the food twice today and its better then when she was eating the homemade diet. I think I have found the best food for Ellie. I'm not for sure but I think she has some type of beef allergy. I have noticed her skin is red and dry on the back of her neck and she just started rubbing her face and rolling. Since I have given her the vegetarian kibble today her face is less red and she hasn't rubbed her face that I have seen.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's great news! I've heard of a couple people with bad allergies who tried a vegetarian formula and it really helped. Thank u for refusing hills from the vet! :bravo:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9016]JennyeStear[/MENTION] - :hug: Thank you for rescuing Ellie :) I've done some fostering and the thing that helped my home the most was setting very clear rules, boundaries and limitations at the very beginning ... it sounds harsh to do that I'm sure, but dogs feel much more confident and calm when they know exactly what is expected of them and when the know what is and isn't alright to do. Giving Ellie rules, boundaries and limitations and being very consistent with her will help her settle in faster and become balanced within your family.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=9016]JennyeStear[/MENTION] - :hug: Thank you for rescuing Ellie :) I've done some fostering and the thing that helped my home the most was setting very clear rules, boundaries and limitations at the very beginning ... it sounds harsh to do that I'm sure, but dogs feel much more confident and calm when they know exactly what is expected of them and when the know what is and isn't alright to do. Giving Ellie rules, boundaries and limitations and being very consistent with her will help her settle in faster and become balanced within your family.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet recommended Hills and I said no thank you I went to a place here locally that is vegetarian and got Natural Balance Vegetarian. Ellie loves it. I tried mixing it so not to change her too fast and she refused to eat. :(. So I gave in and just gave her the kibble only. She was so happy cleared to bowl and begged for more. And since this morning she has had the best poo since I've had her. She has gone poo twice since eating the food twice today and its better then when she was eating the homemade diet. I think I have found the best food for Ellie. I'm not for sure but I think she has some type of beef allergy. I have noticed her skin is red and dry on the back of her neck and she just started rubbing her face and rolling. Since I have given her the vegetarian kibble today her face is less red and she hasn't rubbed her face that I have seen.

FANTASTIC.....it is a trail and error process and can sometimes be a VERY long road. so hope this is her food, I had to do the full blood screen allergy test to get to the bottom of it. if you don't mind can you tell us the brand so others may be able to benefit from this food. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
The food is Natural Balance Vegetarian.

Ellie is coming to terms with her new rules. The no jumping is a very hard one for her. She never jumps on Cate who is small but she jumps at the older kids a lot. But we have put in place that if she jumps to grab her collar or harness tell her no and make her sit. No other talk or touch just to sit. Really in all this is the only thing she has that needs stern correction. She is a polite eater. Doesn't try to steal food, not a barker, and doesn't take Cate's toys. She is very nosey. She doesn't really get into things just has to investigate everything. She plays well with the kids when they use the no jumping rule. We are making her sit to get attention. It working to our advantage right now.

She still has social anxiety when we are out. Not with people but with other dogs. Really only other dogs that are unsure themselves. Having Jagger with her when we are out helps a lot.

Example in Petsmart getting new toys. Jagger finds a young lab to make friends with. The lab's people were very nice and we talked for a few minutes. Jagger and the lab ended up laying in the floor wrestling and loving on each other. Ellie stood by and watched but never growled. In the end she was attempting to be more involved and calmly meet the lab. Jagger would love to be the official door greeter at the vet's office and the pet store if he could :)

Ellie does crave physical contact. When you sit if she can't touch you she will root around on you until you lay a hand on her.

In all I think it's just going to take time and attention. We are able to give her both. The kids now realize Ellie is not "mean" and that she just needs attention and correction.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You can just see her transform in the pictures you've posted. She definitely looks happy in her new home!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am so very happy things are coming along. :) thats just the most wonderful news. i just want to give you a heads up that natural balance was purchased by del monte not to long ago. just a heads up to look for changes in the food or your bully on the food. hopefully all will stay well. :yes:

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
You have done a fantastic job with Ellie! She is so fortunate to have found her forever home with you and Jagger. You and your family are doing a great job with her! God bless you all!!

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Ellie making sure Cate has this sprinkler thing under control
ymunahat.jpg