Saving Ellie

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So many homes in such a short life! :( I'm so happy she is "home" now. What Karen said is so important. We have had many "off the street" rescues..(my hubby brought home many strays) and the best thing my vet told me was.."as they become comfortable, they will revert back to puppy behavior, or misbehavior. Be prepared..but rejoice! It's a sign they feel loved and are becoming whole." It never failed. Some bolted through the "behavior" stage..others lingered. But...they loved us deeply and forever. Truly gifts to our family.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
This is very good advice. We do have strict rules for our fur babies and they are very well behaved. I have had a rescue in the past but he was very young. I will keep in mind that this is the " honey moon" stage. I have noticed that she takes many cues from Jagger. Thank goodness he is well behaved. We did see some of her true colors come out when we let her in bed tonight for some snuggle time before she was put in her bed. She was very calm and snuggled with my husband, then excited and licked my entire face when I laid down. I have noticed she is very attentive to my voice and not my husbands. Her and Jagger loved slobbering all over my pillow:). I feel she's going to do well, I'm just going to have to be patient and let her settle. I'm sure she too will be in the bed with us before long :). My husband said he's going to put his own bed in the garage

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Well this morning about 4am Jagger woke me up. Which is not him at all - he will do anything to stay in bed. I get up to let him and Ellie out and Ellie had diarrhea in her bed. She didn't bark whine or anything so i didn't know and it didn't really smell. Jagger only woke me up cause he could smell it. Ellie was horrified she was going to get in trouble. I didn't say a word just let them both out, put her bed in the wash and gave her a comforter to sleep on and cleaned up the area. As I was cleaning she was obviously distressed, she didn't want to poop but couldn't help it. She would not come near where I was cleaning. When all was said and done I gave her a treat as I have been doing to get in her bed and stay and just went back to bed. I got up at 5:45 and took them out and she was happy as ever ran circles and ran at me like a linebacker :). I am sure the diarrhea was from stress, new environment and getting the yucky food out. She is on the bland diet right now.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Her luck has finally chanced! She deserves all the love you can give her.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
:nice: Thanks for posting Ellie's story! Keep us updated on her progress. Sounds like she's starting to feel at home already :)

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Thanks from the bottom of my heart for giving Ellie the forever family that she so much deserves. I can tell you from all the rescue experiences that I have, that every day is going to be more special with her, than the day before. The experience of seeing a rescue bully coming into their real personality as they get better from all their medical/mistreated/scared issues is completely priceless!!!

Last edited:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hugsssssssss.......Ellie looks like she is just saying....."love me" such a great person you are to give her what she needs!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thank you so much for rescuing her.... she is a sweetie.... it's in her eyes. Would like to give you both hugs.. lol :2thumbs:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I love this thread! You are amazing for rescuing her! And it's always stressful adding a new dog to the mix but with time and patience everything will work out! Keep the updates of Ellie coming! :)

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Stressful is right - insert long exhausted sigh - Ellie has never been given heart worm medication?!??? :( I go in the morning to get her tested. Also, to get her some prescription allergy meds for about a month so her skin can calm down. Her hair is so thin and looks pitiful. While trying to make sure Ellie is getting proper care Jagger's skin has flared up and I had to shave the back of his neck in fear he had a hot spot. Right now it's just irritated allergy skin.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Stressful is right - insert long exhausted sigh - Ellie has never been given heart worm medication?!??? :( I go in the morning to get her tested. Also, to get her some prescription allergy meds for about a month so her skin can calm down. Her hair is so thin and looks pitiful. While trying to make sure Ellie is getting proper care Jagger's skin has flared up and I had to shave the back of his neck in fear he had a hot spot. Right now it's just irritated allergy skin.

Stress is spread around the whole family...but it will soon be replaced..first by acceptance..then by love. Jagger cares for her already, he was trying to help when she messed her bed. He feels her stress, probably knows she was a lost soul...but no more! :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bless you Jen... you are on the right start for her and there will be some set backs, but keep on the pace you are with her and she will be happy and healthy bully girl in no time!

Please keep us posted and let us know if we can help... ask all the questions you need to or just need some moral support

:hug:

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger and Ellie are starting to become real brother and sister :D!!!! Have even started getting in trouble together..... They dug up 4 of the neighbors plants this morning :ashamed:
Ellie seems to be doing well and loving her new home made food diet. Her :poo: is still quite soft, but she isn't used to the food yet and has been under a lot of stress.

She is loving being on inside baby and just going outside for walk and potty breaks.
Jagger hates me right now for making him wear a neck wrap. He kept scratching and has a raw spot. His skin is irritated on the back of his neck. (I think allergies)

They both go to the vet in the morning. Ellie for heart worm testing, spray for her skin and ointment for her wrinkles. I'm taking Jagger along so they can check his skin and make sure it is just his allergies. Also, to support Ellie. Jagger loves our vet office. He begs for treats and greets everyone pets and people at the front door. Ellie tends to gravitate to him when she gets anxious. I want his skin looked at anyway.

ellie3.jpgEllie exploring
sadjagger.jpgJagger mad at me for making him wear the neck wrap.

Last edited:

Most Reactions