Help!

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
What does it mean when you dog sounds like she has asthma or can't breath and they do that weird asthma/choking sound over and over and over and over again?!? Spunky had the cold and her message haven't helped a bit but now she's doing that weird sound and woke us up about 6 times in the night doing it...I feel horrible and idk what to do....she's been to the doc for dog flu, medicated and got better all but her nose and cold, which she's been on new meds for almost a week but have not helped....now she's doing that sound and idk what to do, upset with her doc, and don't want permanent damage done!! Do you know what I'm talking about? Do you know why they do that??

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Are you referring to a reverse sneeze? If so it sounds alot worse than it is. If that in fact is happening its usually caused by an allergen or irritant and can be relieved by simply plugging her nose with your fingers, this will force her to swallow and should stop it right away.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Yes! Reverse sneeze explains it better...she is sneezing a lot.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sounds like reverse sneezing. If she is real phlegmy give her a squirt of lemon juice as well once the reverse sneezing stops.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
It wont resolve the issue but to help stop each episode when Spunky starts to reverse sneeze put ur 2 fingers over her nostrils covering them properly and she will regain steady breathing a lot easier and quicker. I hope she gets better soon. Meeko sends his love xxx

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Sorry we aren't much more help
Hopefully somebody will be along soon to help more.
I know when Meeko done it for a few days before he had a chewy stuck and after he vomitted he stopped. My sisters dog reverse sneezed after getting into a fight and had a wound up his nose.
Maybe its the phlegm irritating his nose - like we sneeze with a cold? Just a guess. Id definitely give your vet a ring for advice though of shes had a cold and its not clearing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed -- reverse sneezing

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
This is why I love this forum! I've never even heard of reverse sneezing. You people are wonderful. I hope Spunky is feeling better SOON!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
This is why I love this forum! I've never even heard of reverse sneezing. You people are wonderful. I hope Spunky is feeling better SOON!
i had never heard of it before my Boxer Remi came along. The first time he did it we rushed him to the vet and after the vet explained what had happened we felt better yet a bit stupid and had to laugh at ourselves.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thank you everyone!!! We love this forum and everyone's advice...I called the vet and they approved Benadryl, hopefully that solves our spunkys problems!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376611367.052428.jpg

Here's spunky relaxing with us :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online