Skin issue? Little bumps alone spine

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Hey everyone. So I've noticed the past few days Ramsay has had some dandruff. While I was brushing him this morning, to my horror a bunch of fur came out in a patch near his butt along his spine! There is still some fur there, but it is definitely a lot thinner than it should be. Like I can see his skin without parting any fur! There are a bunch of bumps (not red, more skin coloured) around that area too. I tried to take some pictures, but it's hard to see. I also noticed farther up his back, more near his shoulders, there are a bunch of scabs under his fur! Are these bug bites? Ramsay doesn't seem to be itchy along his back at all. Should I take him to the vet or see if his fur grows back... Looking for any help I can get! :*(:help1::help:

image-2.jpeg
sort of hard to see, but there are bumps
image-3.jpeg
a better view of the bumps near his butt. you can see how thin his fur is!
image-4.jpeg
one of the scabs near his shoulders.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would take him to the vet for a skin scrape.. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] - thoughts?

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Funny coincidence, my Murray just had the same thing. Started as a few bumps right on the top of his head, they would be raised red bumps, then would almost scab over and I was able to scratch them off. They would leave tiny bald spots where the bump was - but they never seemed to bother Murray at all. Then he got a patch of about 15 on his neck seemingly overnight, that spooked me to the vet (I originally though bug bites or something). The vet diagnosed as Folliculitis, basically just an infection of the hair follicles. She said its very common in Bulldogs and there was no reason for concern.

She prescribed Antibiotics for 14 days (100MG Simplicef) @ 1 pill a day and a medicated shampoo (Malaseb) which contains 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate and 2% Miconazole Nitrate for one bath a week for at least the next several weeks. She said I only have to bath the neck area where this type of infection is most likely to occur. She also mentioned in the summer months its a good idea to shampoo with Malaseb like once a month to prevent the infection from occurring or spreading.

Its been about 12 days now and no more acne (as my wife calls it)!

The hair will grow back over time - but he still has a little thinning in that area.

Hope that helps, I def recommend getting a vet's opinion on it though to be on the safe side.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Funny coincidence, my Murray just had the same thing. Started as a few bumps right on the top of his head, they would be raised red bumps, then would almost scab over and I was able to scratch them off. They would leave tiny bald spots where the bump was - but they never seemed to bother Murray at all. Then he got a patch of about 15 on his neck seemingly overnight, that spooked me to the vet (I originally though bug bites or something). The vet diagnosed as Folliculitis, basically just an infection of the hair follicles. She said its very common in Bulldogs and there was no reason for concern.

She prescribed Antibiotics for 14 days (100MG Simplicef) @ 1 pill a day and a medicated shampoo (Malaseb) which contains 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate and 2% Miconazole Nitrate for one bath a week for at least the next several weeks. She said I only have to bath the neck area where this type of infection is most likely to occur. She also mentioned in the summer months its a good idea to shampoo with Malaseb like once a month to prevent the infection from occurring or spreading.

Its been about 12 days now and no more acne (as my wife calls it)!

The hair will grow back over time - but he still has a little thinning in that area.

Hope that helps, I def recommend getting a vet's opinion on it though to be on the safe side.

You pretty much have this covered. I don't like putting my guy's and girls on the antibiotics because it weakens the immune system. I've been giving more regular baths and rinsing with one cup of white vinegar to one gal water. and then leave it one. Also been giving one vitamin c tab and one zinc tab a day. Keeps their immune system up. How is Ramsay doing today [MENTION=8840]mbd963[/MENTION]

OP
mbd963

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
[MENTION=8526]HeyBulldog[/MENTION] wow! that sounds almost like the exact thing that happened to Ramsay! The little scabs that would fall off and leave bald spots behind. We went to the vet on Saturday and she took some skin scrapes. Ruled out mites of any sort. She said it's most likely a yeast or bacterial infection that could be caused by his growing and hormone changes. He was given mal-a-ket antifungal and antibacterial shampoo and given some oils to help his skin moisten up (he was had very very dry skin, dandruff everywhere!) The shampoo has seemed to help. He's going to get another wash in it tomorrow. He hasn't seem bothered by it at all but I just felt bad having a bald bully!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online