Colar or Harness ? Which do you use for your Bully

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
All of my bullies use a harness. They have their fancy collars to wear, but I will not attach a leash to them. I had a friend who's bully had to have surgery to repair a damaged trachea due to pulling on his collar.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We use both on Vegas and Orion. If we are on a walk, Orion is in a harness. She is a puller! We also put her in a harness around the house....cause she likes to jump on Vegas and when I have to pull her off Vegas...! Vegas doesn't pull on walks. He saunters. But when he puts on the brakes..his collar will and has come off him. So, I've got into the habit of putting them in harnesses. Vegas and Orion's seat belts are harness style, so if we are going into a pet store and Vegas has a collar on, I will use his seatbelt to secure him.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
All my dogs have colars.. They all walk great with them. I thought about harnesses for the two bullies but have not got them as we dont venture too far from home with them..

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I bet your dog really pulls on the harness then. it is our job to teach them that they must not pull, try the easy walk harness @ premirepetsupliesINC. it attaches at the front of the chest. and as for the fancy collars--
PLEASE EVERYONE--don't use the clip type. in an emergency,(and there will be one-- one day) they will pop that clasp as if it were not there. a 1 inch roll slip collar will not allow them to escape, and is large enough to not cut into the throat. if your dog pulls on the leash,STOP and turn the other direction, and do it until they get the drift. it doesn't take long. its like making a horse walk backwards if they are in a big hurry to get home.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I prefer the harness just because I am too afraid to tighten the collar enough, and they can easily slip out of it because I don't obviously put it around tight enough! LOL

We are the same ... Maggie has a collar that she wears all the time, but when we first started to walk her she would pull and end up almost choking herself to death. So we got the harness and it works perfectly!!

Haven't got a harness for Daddy yet as we don't know how big he's going to be, and the couple of walks he's been on the collar has been fine because he's far too interested in biting the leash than pulling on it! :crazy:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I use a harness mainly just in case Stig pulls. As with some people, we're scared that he may escape or get hurt whenever we use a collar.

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
Rocky doesn't wear collar at all when we're inside the house. I used to put him on harness but when he decided to be stubborn (once in a blue moon), he just put all his weight on his paws & I can't really pull him to walk. That's why we use collar. Loose enough for him to breathe & escape out of it if he wants too lol (which he never tried).

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
do you work, and is he at home alone while you do ??? what happens if the house catches on fire, and the fireman do get to the animals and free them to the open,they will run away, and have no ID,I have seen this happen many times as an animal control person. if the dogs would have had ID at all times. even though they were running free they could be Identified. firemen have other things to do than hold the pets in a fire, this is just a please think of all the emergency situations possible, because they happen every day. also, an ordinary clip collar no matter how tight you have it , a dog can and will pull out of it in a panic, or the clip will pop open. while away from home pleas consider a slip collar or a martingale.that they will never pull out of .

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
I'm full-time housewife / bully-mom :)...I stayed at home most of the times & if I go out, I usually bring him along with me. Speaking of fire, if that ever happens (which I hope NOT/knocking on wood), it won't matter if he's wearing a collar with tag. Why? Like I've always say, bulldog is not common here. Everytime I took him for a walk, people sees him as a tasty treat because rocky is meaty compare than stray dogs they've seen & eaten. That's another part that I avoid when I'm walking him out when it's dark. Usually have my husband or someone else to accompany me. So you see, if he gets lost, we won't have a chance to find him because of this matter. That's why I'd tried my best to be careful.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm full-time housewife / bully-mom :)...I stayed at home most of the times & if I go out, I usually bring him along with me. Speaking of fire, if that ever happens (which I hope NOT/knocking on wood), it won't matter if he's wearing a collar with tag. Why? Like I've always say, bulldog is not common here. Everytime I took him for a walk, people sees him as a tasty treat because rocky is meaty compare than stray dogs they've seen & eaten. That's another part that I avoid when I'm walking him out when it's dark. Usually have my husband or someone else to accompany me. So you see, if he gets lost, we won't have a chance to find him because of this matter. That's why I'd tried my best to be careful.

They would eat your bullie ..........:eek:
I'm not sure that I would EVER leave the house!!! :guns:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What Lindathedogsmaid mentioned about emergencies is the exact reason I ALWAYS keep a collar with ID on my dogs while I'm not home. Heaven forbid something happens like a fire but if it does I want whoever the emergency responders are to be able contact me ASAP, be able to simply look at their collar and have my phone number. I also have a small sign on my front door and back door saying something like I have _ # of dogs _ # of cats in case of an emergency please save them. As soon as I get home I do take Samson's collar off because I don't like the imprint the collar leaves on his coat. My beagle NEVER has her collar off unless it's bedtime and she is in her kennel. Those beagles are infamous escape artists/roamers and I am so scared of what would happen in general if she got out let alone with her collar/ID. Just what I do because I am a worry wort and my dogs mean the world to me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.