Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
There is always differing opinions on this topic. I have a Colar for Maximus. But for my PUG, I use a Harness, which unfortunately, she can (and has) escaped out of.

But I read that for Brachycephalic breeds, you should use a Harness.
Yet, some of my Bulldog books state use a Colar and Leash.

What does everyone else use .... ?

Thanks.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We use a harness to walk and keep we usually hAve a collar with his tags on at house

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I use a collar and leash for both of mine HOWEVER when they were puppies, I used a harness to help train them and get used to being on a lead. I think the rationale for using a harness for dogs like bullies is so there won't be any strain around their neck to further inhibit their breathing, if they are a bad walker. But, in my experience, once they get used to being on a leash, I've never had problems walking them with a leash and collar that provided them plenty of slack around the neck because they are good walkers.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We use a harness for Gracie. this is the first dog I've ever had that I've used a harness and I prefer them over a collar now.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
At first I used a harness, but she hated that thing lol. Now I just use one of the slip leads and she does just fine on that because she's not a puller.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use a collar but I have decided this week to get him a harness, at 63lbs. he is starting to pull when we are at Petsmart or the Vet, Never on a walk, he's perfect on a collar, I think I would have better control with a harness in those situations

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I prefer the harness just because I am too afraid to tighten the collar enough, and they can easily slip out of it because I don't obviously put it around tight enough! LOL

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I prefer the harness just because I am too afraid to tighten the collar enough, and they can easily slip out of it because I don't obviously put it around tight enough! LOL

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], Oh I Agree Vegas's is VERY loose he really can slip out of it if he knew better, but then again he walks perfect and goes out to poo/pee fine. I think I need a harness when out in public for more control, he actually chokes himself at the vet office/Petsmart, and the LAST thing I want is him playing with a sick dog!!! He is simply getting an allergy shot and once an ear infection. I do not allow him to play/smell etc... you never know at the vet what is going on...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, once I discovered the harness there is no going back for me. :) Plus they all look so cute in the Dozer one I got. But I need 4 more, each a different pattern! :eek: But I am saving up to get those for Christmas. For me. Oooops I mean for them.... :p

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I have used both at different times for different reasons. a slip collar, is a must for escape proofing in public. and the rolled 1 inch Timberwolf brand can be worn loosely at all times.(be very careful with pups as they may not know to not jump off heights with one on and can chock,make sure they are sensible about those things before using one unattended) I hear a lot of folks say--he/she never ran off before!!
but one day they WILL in a panic situation !! and for harnesses, the rule of thumb is --they teach a dog to PULL !! only after learning how to walk politly on a leash should a dog be put into harness some of the time. and yes,,IF that harness isn't tight enough to only put 1 finger under and between it and the dog, is it tight enough!!!THE PROBLEM ANY DOG LOVER SEES is dogs wearing these 24/7 or when it is hot outside,--(we shouldn't have this breed out in that heat anyway)
the only halter that has worked --VERY WELL --for pulling dogs is the Easy Walk dog harness-(here is the link,and sizing is on the page,-the ring to connect the leash to is on the front of the chest, so when the dog pulls, it pulls the dog back towards you-<)https://www.premier.com/store/Products.aspx?cid=1&pid=6> and I believe is said $24.00. these work so well quickly. you will have to use your common sense to pick the collar time and type to use, this is what I have found to be the safest, and yes if you are walking by all means use a halter.But make sure it is adjusted right. have fun and be safe.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
you can always use an ordinary leash as well to be a slip lead, just put the metel snap through the hand loop and clip the snap clip to your waist, the dog cant get out, and you have a hands free leash.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva always has her collar on except at night when its bedtime we take it off. When we go somewhere where she is going to get very excited we put the harness on so she is not pulling on her neck and gagging but for normal walking just the collar.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
a harness, and he only wears it outside..no collar inside.. Chester tends to be overly dramatic when we put the collar on him.. he acts like Jesse James being hung and sent to the gallows! :guns:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy had a harness when we got him but he is such a mellow walker i find a loose fitting collar more appropriate for him. He is also VERY WIDE so its hard to adjust a harness to fit his girth.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Both Gertie and Ida have collars. They both walk on their leash without any problem, so they just always have the collars on. I need them to grab onto because Ida, especially, is stubborn. If I'm asking them to go outside and one doesn't want to mind, the collar is a good way to help get them out the door.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online