Potty Training Tips...

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It's been a frustrating couple of days, and was hoping to get some feedback after getting a much expected text from the fiancee that Daisy has once again gone 1 and 2 indoors in less than an hour of doing a significant amount of both outdoors, not to mention a big number 1 first thing after overnight crating.

The worst part is that I know most of this is my fault. My fiancee and I have certainly been sending mixed messages. She was able to be with her for the first 2 weeks of her arrival, so accidents were pretty minimal and expected. She had actually learned to bark or even walk over to the door already, and we were doing a great job at getting her our every 2-3 hours.

Then this past week happened. Fiancee wen't to visit family for a few days, and in lieu of all day in crate she was in her x pen which includes access to her crate. Of course I expected quite a mess for the 9 hours i am away, and she did not disappoint! :D Over the course of 3 days of this, she has made it a point to go pee in her crate! Not to mention going to town all over when we are home despite being taken out recently. She even went on the couch just watchin tv for a few moments afer just coming in!

Fiancee is back but again, she went to use the bathroom her self momentarily, and pee and poop awaited after taking her out an hour ago! She should be on a more reliable schudule from now on, but what concerns me is the peeing in her crate, and an almost "regression" in potty training! We still take her out after an accident so she gets it, but any other advice from you bully experts? It's been quite a bit since I've handled a puppy, our 10 year old Doxie, but that was back when I lived with my family! (Sorry for the long post! :tongue:)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well....you will have to start from scratch. But don't worry, she will respond. Sounds like she was well on her way before her people dropped the ball..:ROFL: I will give you a way that is very restrictive..for YOU and your fiancée. But it works. She needs to be leashed at all times in the house. Attached to a human, that will be watching her every move.
Basic Rules..
Out every hour to potty AND after eating and playing. Before going in the crate AND immediately after. Try taking her to the same area outside. They begin to know that's the place.

No Roaming Freely..

On a leash at all times. If the human needs a break, take her out to potty (the pup..lol) and immediately in the crate. When she comes out of the crate, immediately outside to potty, then back on the leash.

If you see any signals she might be thinking about going, a gentle tug on her leash..your NO word and take her out immediately!

High praise when she goes in correct place.
Keep crate area small, no bigger than needed for her to stand up and turn around.
Yes..it is a difficult thing..tethering yourself to a pup..but it works. You will be amazed at what you were missing.

OP
jm00ser

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Wow interesting idea Jake, never even thought of that. Would definitely give me some piece of mind as well while eating or sitting on the couch! Always get so worried about what is being chewed on as well. Hopefully we can get her programmed again!

Any tips for extended periods of time for when it has to happen? I think I want to get away from the xpen. Just straight up crate and leave a water source?

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I have seen many people on here use the leash method with success. I was tempted to try the method myself, but never had a real difficult problem with Tucker. I taught him early on to go by the door and wait to go outside. He quickly picked up on this. He still had accidents but they were entirely my fault not being quick enough to the door. As he got older these went away. While I did not leash him, I did restrict where he had access to. He was never left unattended and could never wonder to far from my side. If I knew I wasn't going to be able to watch him, he went to his crate. I recently moved a couple of weeks ago and seemed to have to start the whole process over again. Repeated the whole process and after a couple of days there haven't been any accidents.

Tucker hasn't been left for an extended period of time, yet. I start work full time this week and will be out from 7-3:30. He will be crated while I am gone and I expect he will have some accidents for a while. I think, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, you will have more success in reducing the number of accidents the more confined the space. If Daisy sleeps and stays in her crate she will be more likely to hold it, as long as she is able, because she won't want to go where she sleeps. Using the Xpen, she is able to designate different areas for sleeping and relieving herself.

Be patient, but persistent and she will eventually get it, and make sure you reward her when she goes outside, even overdo it for a while to show her she is doing something good.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Well....you will have to start from scratch. But don't worry, she will respond. Sounds like she was well on her way before her people dropped the ball..:ROFL: I will give you a way that is very restrictive..for YOU and your fiancée. But it works. She needs to be leashed at all times in the house. Attached to a human, that will be watching her every move.
Basic Rules..
Out every hour to potty AND after eating and playing. Before going in the crate AND immediately after. Try taking her to the same area outside. They begin to know that's the place.

No Roaming Freely..

On a leash at all times. If the human needs a break, take her out to potty (the pup..lol) and immediately in the crate. When she comes out of the crate, immediately outside to potty, then back on the leash.

If you see any signals she might be thinking about going, a gentle tug on her leash..your NO word and take her out immediately!

High praise when she goes in correct place.
Keep crate area small, no bigger than needed for her to stand up and turn around.
Yes..it is a difficult thing..tethering yourself to a pup..but it works. You will be amazed at what you were missing.

You are the puppy potty Whisperer :)

OP
jm00ser

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks all for the tips and listening! X-Pen will be eliminated, and have starting leash training today She has been rebelling as much as she can per a text I received this morning, but she'll get used to it! :D.

Hopefully we will have some progress in the next few months!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks all for the tips and listening! X-Pen will be eliminated, and have starting leash training today She has been rebelling as much as she can per a text I received this morning, but she'll get used to it! :D.

Hopefully we will have some progress in the next few months!

Oh yeah, no pen. I tried using a pen with one of my three bullies and he was the one that took FOREVER to finally become fully housebroken.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Both of my girls were in a pen until they were fully housebroke. Ruby is still in her pen when no one is home because she is a little ambitious and unpredictable. Amber has free roam only until she tears something up then she goes back in the pen for a little while until we think she has learned her lesson (usually a week or two, depending on the size of the infraction.....sofa cushion destruction would cost her a few weeks in the pen). I think around 6 or 7 months Amber was completely housebroken with no mistakes in the house. Good luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)

also maybe you could hire a dog walker to take her out if its going to be a long day, to break up the day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.