Leg popped out of socket?!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Okay so Im playing with Baxter - extremely careful of his leg situation (some of you may remember the video I showed from the breeder).

He's totally fine now walking-wise, etc. All is well.

But im playing with him, and - very gently - he got into a strange position as I rolled him over, and his leg literally popped out of place, and I immediately repositioned it, and heard it pop again back!

He didn't even wince. But I swear it seemed like his leg got dislocated for a second there, and I was totally and completely freaked out. Have any of you seen / heard anything like this??

I have seen X Rays of EB puppies and noticed that the socket isn't always even fully "Locked in" like our legs are to our hips.

But that was just plain strange / scary. I stood him up carefully to see if he'd fall over and all was perfectly well. But geez.. how fragile !!! Scared the crap out of me.

Kevin

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
OMG scary let me tag a few people to read your thread [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] Glad Baxter is walking ok

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh Geez that would totally freak me out. Sorry I'm of no help, as I have never heard of that happening. Just wanted to say hoping and praying its nothing serious. Sending hugs and prayers. Hopefully someone with experience will come along soon. Keep,us posted.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is not normal unfortunately. :( I would have X-rays done on his hips to make sure there is no underlying reason this happened.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Yah their pain tolerance is amazing. Fergus is constantly running into things. His brakes don't work too well :blink:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
OMG scary let me tag a few people to read your thread @desertskybulldogs @Texas Carol @Davidh @Sherry Glad Baxter is walking ok

Kevin, I'd be freaked too, I got tagged (thank you, Ashley) but sorry to say, no experience in this dept.

I'd have your vet definitely look at him. Will keep Baxter & y'all in prayer,please let us know vet's opinion.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow... I have seen that in humans but never a pup unless there was an underlying problem. I hope you are able to get the situation sorted out for Baxter.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I'm no help w this one. I've never experienced it. I would def call the vet tho, if nothing else but for peace of mind. Really glad he is ok now tho!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I Googled "dislocated leg in Puppy" there's a ton of stuff, some sites say it's not uncommon , and some tell you how it can be fixed.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Okay so Im playing with Baxter - extremely careful of his leg situation (some of you may remember the video I showed from the breeder).

He's totally fine now walking-wise, etc. All is well.

But im playing with him, and - very gently - he got into a strange position as I rolled him over, and his leg literally popped out of place, and I immediately repositioned it, and heard it pop again back!

He didn't even wince. But I swear it seemed like his leg got dislocated for a second there, and I was totally and completely freaked out. Have any of you seen / heard anything like this??

I have seen X Rays of EB puppies and noticed that the socket isn't always even fully "Locked in" like our legs are to our hips.

But that was just plain strange / scary. I stood him up carefully to see if he'd fall over and all was perfectly well. But geez.. how fragile !!! Scared the crap out of me.

Kevin

After that video the breeder sent- the first thing I would have gotten done was X-rays- I hope everything works out.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Don't think that is normal at all. I would run to the vet. It would have been the first thing I did upon picking up the pup in light of the video. Not sure what type of guarantee you got or if there were any stipulations about taking the pup to the vet within x amount of hours of receipt. Hope everything works out at the vets.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

He's been running and playing no problem ever since so I wasnt stressing over it anymore, but I will call the vet.
I was told regarding hip dysplasia and other issues, X rays are fairly useless at his age.
Not sure the specific reason why, but my friend who is a vet confirmed the same.
Guess what they see at this age isn't fully developed yet, and they have to wait to see how things go.
I will have the vet look at him on Friday. Thats his next appointment.
I have noticed since I got him that he tends to run .... how do I say this .... diagonally?
Do any of your bullys do that?
If you're facing him straight-on, and he runs to you, I can see his back end is slightly to the side of his front end.
Very slight. Might be a bully running thing?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online