Immodium

B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter is only 8 weeks old and I've only had im 3 days. The darn breeder told me to give him a full Immodium tablet because his poo was runny. I even made sure to ask "Are you sure, the whole tablet?" He said yes.

It was way, way, way too much for him, and has caused him major constipation. Now I am sitting here watching him struggle every 30 seconds to poo. Nothing is coming out. After a half hour of this nonsense (we've all been there) you just know how miserable he is. He tries, struggles, groans, gives up. Goes and lays down. Jumps up again, tries, struggles groans...

Im really fed up with the input from this breeder. He has done more things to cause my puppy discomfort than I am willing to put up with.

Rant over.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Oh your poor baby. I believe you can give him Ducolax to counter react the Imodium or you can wait it out. If he cant poop in the morning either call or take him to the vet and ask if it is ok to give him Ducolax

Ducolax For constipation 5 - 20mg tablet or 1/2 to 2 pediatric suppositories (10mg) Oral Once a day

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Try givin ur poor boy canned pumpkin (not the one for pies the natural one). Its an amazing trick and works both ways it helps with both constipation and diarrhea. Hope your little pup is well soon xx

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
P.s you might want to look into the reason he has runny poop in the first place rather than the stupid breeder just ignoring it and giving tablets to prevent it! Maybe its to do with the food he is on? The majority of people on here like to use fromm .. I dont know much about foods but im sure somebody will be along soon to help! Also.. Is he up to date with all shots and wormers etc?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so sorry you and your little guy are having to go through this, I totally agree with Tasha (Meekosmummy). Pumpkin works wonders for both diarrhea and constipation, and I also like it for the fact it's a natural alternative to pills. I always try to use a natural supplement or therapy before trying a pill. I also agree with her regarding the food. Which food do you have Baxter on? His long has he had runny pools for? A lt of bulldogs have problems or sensitivities with chicken, and grains, and a lt of people including me feed their dogs Fromms Beef Frittata. I switched to this after changing my guys food 4 times due to My female Blossom having allergies to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. They have been on this food for 11 months and both my guys do really well on it. You can read about the dog food ratings on the home page, and also if you have any questions regarding food ask Cowsmom, she is very knowledgable in nutrition, food, and home cooking for bulldogs. Good luck Hun, and I hope Baxter feels better soon. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way. Please keep us posted on how Baxter is doing.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yes...if the breeder told you to give a puppy immodium I'm wondering what food they suggested. The first line of defense on the road to good health is picking a good food for your baby. Please check out the food ratings listed on the home page.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
The runny poo may be from over feeding also. Pumpkin will certainly help tho. What food are you feeding him and how much?

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
I've been feeding Taz twice a day 4 cups of dog food. He's 8 months old and weighs about 60 pounds. Lately he has had soft and or runny poos, perhaps I'm overfeeding him?. And as for the pumpkin it did help him a couple of times!. Thanks for the advice!.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
If he doesn't want to eat the pumpkin you can try some buttermilk it helps with constipation and has the added benefit of probiotics. Once when Ace was constipated and straining I gave the pumpkin but he wouldn't eat it, haven't tried any in a while and he may would take it now but anyway I gave him some buttermilk [don't overdue it] and he loves it. It helps with slow bowels or constipation

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Awww poor baby..lots of good advice here, I sure hope that poop comes out n things get on track for you both! Def look into a good food, a little bit - tsp or so of plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt could help soften poo as well.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Hi all - yes it was from overfeeding.

The breeder told me to feed him 250 grams a day of the Royal Canin Starter (Mommy/puppy) mix.

Its an amazing food, but his 250g recommendation was insanely off. I finally had the brains to look at the back of the bag instead, and it recommends 50g a day for 8 weeks old / 7lbs.

I have also started him on Kefir milk (better than yogurt as it actually helps colonize the intestines with beneficial probiotics). He laps it up with it in his water.

The breeder suggested Olive Oil in his food for his skin and coat. This sounds like good advice so I add a dab to his food now.

Its funny how all these recommendations are the exact same recommendations for human beings with intestinal and digestive diseases. I actually have been on the same regimen (paleo, organic, olive oil, probiotics) myself for my own issues. Its nice to be doing the same healthy beneficial diets together.

Im asking you guys for input from now on. :)

Kevin

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.