Chew toys and Food..which is best!!?!

DixieKooper09

Aug 8, 2013
Oceanside, California, United States ( Native Sout
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Kooper
I have heard many people tell me that certian chew toys arent good for bulldogs, same with food. I know you want to get food that has first ingredient as protein. I was at petco just last night switching my bullys food to blue buffalo and noticed that BB caries 3 different brands of grain-free food! i didnt know which to go with cause i didnt know the difference so i just went with blue wilderness because it has the highest crude protein content.

Now on to chew toys and such. ive heard that antlers are the best thing for bullys to chew on but they are 10 bucks for a little one!!..any suggestions?!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
There are a lot of 5 and 6 start foods out ther you could feed your bully. I along with many other use either Fromm's Gold or 4 Star grain free lines. You may have to expierment with different brands and protines to find what works for your bully. As for chew toys there are a lot of thosehtoo. Anything you get should be designed for powerful chewers as our babies can and will destroy lesser imitations quickly sometimes with illness and choking as the end result. Do not give your bully rawhides or bully sticks as they are choking hazards. Kongs, Nylabones and Antlers are the best. Antlers are more expensive but they do last a long time so to me they are worth the cost but I would never buy a small one as it could become a choking hazard.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Marine91 gave you some great advise. I would also add a raw frozen (do not cook) femur bone/ soup bone. No smaller then 3 inches long. They will chew on it forever and once they get the marrow out you can stuff with treats (peanut butter, banana) and freeze IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0678.jpg and use again.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Nylabone and kong have good stuff as well. Food wise really is up to you. I use Fromm but I've heard good things about BB. Just make sure the protein content isn't too high.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
There are a lot of 5 and 6 start foods out ther you could feed your bully. I along with many other use either Fromm's Gold or 4 Star grain free lines. You may have to expierment with different brands and protines to find what works for your bully. As for chew toys there are a lot of thosehtoo. Anything you get should be designed for powerful chewers as our babies can and will destroy lesser imitations quickly sometimes with illness and choking as the end result. Do not give your bully rawhides or bully sticks as they are choking hazards. Kongs, Nylabones and Antlers are the best. Antlers are more expensive but they do last a long time so to me they are worth the cost but I would never buy a small one as it could become a choking hazard.
Where do you get the deer antlers? I ordered some on PetFlow, but I need to return them, they are way too small...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I actually get my own deer and elk via hunting each year. :) However there are sites other than Petflow that sell them by the pound in a wide variety of sizes. I am actually trying to find a piece of flat paddle from a moose antler myself. Google bring up a ton of sites that can't be posted here.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I actually get my own deer and elk via hunting each year. :) However there are sites other than Petflow that sell them by the pound in a wide variety of sizes. I am actually trying to find a piece of flat paddle from a moose antler myself. Google bring up a ton of sites that can't be posted here.
Well SHOOT... My hubby is a hunter, but obviously won't be going this year. I guess I will hit the internet, THANKS!!! LOL

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Any time. If I find any good deals I will PM you.

That would be AWESOME... Thanks ;) Hey I hope you & your family have a wonderful weekend!!!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Where do you get the deer antlers? I ordered some on PetFlow, but I need to return them, they are way too small...
I get mine from amazon. I get the big ones, they are a bit pricey but they last forever!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Can you expand on this please? Just wanting to learn, thanks.

While protein in their food is normally absorbed as energy if there is too much it can cause excess to be processed through the kidneys and if your bully has kidney issues this can be a very bad thing.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I know that protein is super important for dogs, I've heard that all the scares about high protein such as kidney issues are not necessarily try, however from what I've learned be use bullies are not extremely active they should have a crude protein % below 30. Puppies around 28% is good. If your bully is more active then a highest protein % isn't an issue. But, with that said, I'm no expert ...I'm sure someone else can chime in and add to or correct this info

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.