Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, does your bully like to go for walks, or are they lazy floppers like my Dozer? I have two EB siblings, a male and a female, they are 17 months old and their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. Blossom ha so much energy, she is constantly in play mode, and when we go for walks, she would walk for hours if I would let her, we go down to the river and trail behind my house in the mornings before it gets hot, or in the evenings, and she will run and run and run. Dozer on the other hand is very laid back and a lazy guy. He hates to walk, when we go out for their duties, he goes reluctantly, he will go pee and poop, and then looks toward the house, and pulls to go back home. When we try to go for longer walks, he will walk for maybe 5 minutes, 10 if we are lucky, and then he flops on the ground and totally refuses to walk any further. He lays on the ground and stretches out all his paws, or lies on his back looking for belly rubs, but will not stand up, and will not walk. We can't take both of them together for a walk, because of this, we end up either having to pick up his bum and try and get him to walk back home, or we have to carry him home, which was okay when he was a puppy, but now he's 45 lbs, my big lug lol. A couple of times we had to stay at the park or up the road while hubby went home and got the car to drive the puppies back home. Now we usually drive to the park and then let them have their run, where Blossom will run forever, and Dozer tires more easily, and starts to pant after about 15 minutes and will just flop on the grass and he's done. Does this mean he could have a weaker heart than his sister, or is it just personality and he's just more laid back and lazy? They went to the vet the day we brought them home, and got a clean bill of health with no heart murmurs, and they go for all their regular vet checkups and all their puppy appointments, for vaccinations and stuff, and the vet always says they're healthy. Does anyone else have a bully who hates to walk or refuses to walk?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duchess hates walks- she's sees me getting leash and she will run into her crate- duke on the other hand he sees his leash and goes bananas and will run up to me and sit so I can put his harness on.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I honestly think some bullies just don't want to go for a walk. I just watched an episode of Dogs 101 from 2011 and our beloved bullies we crowned the Worlds Laziest Dog for many reasons including not really wanting to go for walks. Harpea on the other hand is an angel as she loves to go for walks and right away picked up walking side by side and just lumbering along woth us. Now when we hit PetSmart it is no holds barred when we hit the squeaky toy isle as she had to check them all out.

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker hasn't quite decided if he likes walks or not. I just moved from Ohio, where we lived in the country with no need to really go on walks, to SC in an apartment complex where he has to be walked if he wants any exercise. Getting started is his biggest struggle right now. He would much rather just sit in the patch of grass outside the apartment then begin his walk. After some persuading in the form of treats I am able to get him started then the walk is really enjoyable for him. He loves the attention he gets from other people.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Unfortunately the humid summers we get here mean we don't even attempt walks.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have hot humid days here in Canada as well, but I'm lucky enough to live near a trail and a river, but we only go with them early in the morning, or after dinner in the evenings, and even then they only run for 15 or 20 minutes, or less if I see they are panting, we always have water with us, and the rest of the day they are inside the air conditioning, and only go out in the backyard for their duties.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus will walk but when he decides he is done, he flops down on someone's lawn like he lives there and will not move

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
April loves walks - just jingle her collar and the BOOTIE SHAKING IM GOING SOMEWHERE DANCE BEGINS !!!!!!!! -We went to town this morning and walked around at the farmers market , walked around while my wife went thru the car wash ,walked around the grocery store lot while she got grocery"s -stuck head out the back back window for her treat at the bank {they know her by name and all the tellers who are not busy rush to the window to say hello } We stop to eat lunch at Sonic because they have tables outside where she can enjoy sitting with us ------ DID I MENTION SHE LOVES TO GO TO TOWN !!!!!! LOL :whew: 2012-10-21_12-43-28_898.jpg:whew:--- Now after HER very long trip {it is all about her you know} she is back in her palace taking a very lady like NAP :p

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Not here, the more Brie gets out n walks the happier she is! She is only 8 mos old tho, so who knows how she will be at 17 mos!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunky loves a long walk! We sometimes go for up to 6 mile hikes! If I keep going he keeps going, especially if there is a swim at the end!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Cami is a flopper BEFORE the walk begins. Potty training was made even harder
because she HATES even going outside! It is hysterical, once I'd say 'the cue'...
'wanna go potty outside?' she'd immediately drop on her side pawing in the air w/a
look of terror on her face~like a beating was coming! As time went on I resorted to
dragging her butt out the door where she would sit w/a disgusted look on her face,
refusing to go, I'd stay out as long as possible then decide maybe she just didn't need
to go~NOPE~once inside she'd poo & pee~not on my abundant tile floors but my only rug
in the house, my beautiful oriental living room rug~Grrrr!

Almost 5 months later, we are happy! Cami even signals by going to the door & also new...
BARKS! She immediately trots into the yard, does her business then runs, with ears flopping
:heart:
to the door to go back in. She has walked a couple times down our street & back & in PetsMart.
I've taken about 3-4 lbs off her, maybe that's helped but Cami is really a big boned, big girl at
65 lbs. She does bark too to demand butt scratches, a bite of my food or to get some love.
Cami is finally showing her true self which is a bit of a diva, a sweet & loving diva and a tad bossy.

It's all good!!!

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman flops on the grass every 15 feet. He looks like a nut. If there s something going on outside he might stay standing up, but flopping is the norm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks and my frenchie Cheli... are walkers

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
We don't even attempt this; we have a big backyard and that is good enough for Amber and Ruby. They romp around and play until they are tired and then they will lay down in the grass. We occassionally take them to the park but it is rare and then we are chasing the ball but we drive the car to the park. Its too hot in Arizona to take any chances on the bullies.

Most Reactions