Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Bubba have a UTI?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

Default Does Bubba have a UTI?

Ok..in the last week or so Bubba is doing something he has never done before. It started when I get home from work. He does his usual..grabs a toy and runs and jumps up on my bed..of course me following. He has leaked a little urine on the bed when doing this. (Even though he hasn't gone out to pee yet,, this has never happened before). Then, this morning I wake up to find that he peed the bed...yes..mine! Nice! Gonna take him to vets on Monday. Sounds like a urinary infection..don't ya think? I guess it could have been worse..I could have woken up with a horse's head in my bed! ha ha (what movie was that in? anyone know?)

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does Bubba have a UTI?

Godfather

Bubba could have a UTI, but it is best to get him checked to make sure it isn't something else too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama what else could it be?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaisapig View Post
    @2BullyMama what else could it be?
    Bladder control? if this is the only time he is doing it and not appearing to pee less but more often
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama. He's never been one to pee much and he isn't peeing more than usual outside (just in my bed! Lol). I took a urine sample to my vets a few minutes ago. It does have a strong odor and is pretty concentrated. He's 2 1/2 now. Could he develop bladder control issues out if the blue?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm. Sounds like a type of UTI to me. Let us know what te vet says.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

Well..Bubba does have a UTI with lots of crystals in it. He said I need to change off the Fromm to Hill's diet or royal canine. I looked at the ingredients in these foods...a bunch of crap ingredients. So...I went with his allergy results in hand and went to holistic pet store. I spent a good hour there!..trying to find a food grain free and without all the things he's allergic to (peas, salmon, soybean, salmon, brewers yeast). My God! what a pain! Going all raw is soo expensive! So..I found ONE food, a freeze dried raw food-just add water. It is called SOJO's. It doesn't have anything he is allergic to and looks awesome. We'll see. The store also said I need to find out what types of crystals he had ( there are 2 types) and I can add a supplement to his current food to change his levels to either more acidic or more akaline. Not sure which direction I will go. For now, I will gradually try this new food. Love Bubbs to death but Jesus..he's high maintenance! lol

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well..Bubba does have a UTI with lots of crystals in it. He said I need to change off the Fromm to Hill's diet or royal canine. I looked at the ingredients in these foods...a bunch of crap ingredients. So...I went with his allergy results in hand and went to holistic pet store. I spent a good hour there!..trying to find a food grain free and without all the things he's allergic to (peas, salmon, soybean, salmon, brewers yeast). My God! what a pain! Going all raw is soo expensive! So..I found ONE food, a freeze dried raw food-just add water. It is called SOJO's. It doesn't have anything he is allergic to and looks awesome. We'll see. The store also said I need to find out what types of crystals he had ( there are 2 types) and I can add a supplement to his current food to change his levels to either more acidic or more akaline. Not sure which direction I will go. For now, I will gradually try this new food. Love Bubbs to death but Jesus..he's high maintenance! lol

Let's get the experienced crew here...... Twice and Riisi
    e.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

You really need to find out what kind of crystals they are! Ones form in alkaline urine and others in acidic urine. If the crystals are formed because of infection (alkaline urine), you DON'T need to change his food. If he has UTI, but still the crystals are uric for example, you do need to do some changes, but still you don't need prescription food. The crystals must be tested. If your vet haven't tested them, then you need to change him/her first.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi Looking back on my notes from vet. They told me that he has too much amonium, magnesium, and phosporus...so after doing a little research that make them struvite crystals. What should my plan be for him and his diet? The holistic food store said I could by a product to add to his current food to bring down acidic values. Have you heard of this? Something is causing the UTI and I want to make sure I will be giving him the right stuff. @Twice any suggestions?

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@RiiSi Looking back on my notes from vet. They told me that he has too much amonium, magnesium, and phosporus...so after doing a little research that make them struvite crystals. What should my plan be for him and his diet? The holistic food store said I could by a product to add to his current food to bring down acidic values. Have you heard of this? Something is causing the UTI and I want to make sure I will be giving him the right stuff. @Twice any suggestions?

High levels of ammonia, magnesium and phosphorous? It sounds to me like his liver needs some help. Did the doctor also do a blood panel? I'm curious what his ALT and ALB are. ALT is a measurement of liver enzymes. ALB is the protein the liver makes. I'm hesitant to make any suggestions at all until we know that. Do you happen to have a copy of the test results the doctor ran?

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@Twice I couldn't get Bubba in on Saturday..way too busy..but they asked if I could bring a urine sample in..so I did. The vet tech told me the basics of the results.THey just told me I should change his diet to perscription diet for unrinary health. There has to be a reason causing this though. What do you suggest? I know you are very knowledgeable on all of this!I don't just want to treat the current UTI, I want to know what caused it! Could changing to raw be the key for him? He is currently on Fromm, chicken veg. I would never have guessed anything was wrong, except for his recent incontinence issues..otherwise..same energy,etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads