Does Bubba have a UTI?

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Ok..in the last week or so Bubba is doing something he has never done before. It started when I get home from work. He does his usual..grabs a toy and runs and jumps up on my bed..of course me following. He has leaked a little urine on the bed when doing this. (Even though he hasn't gone out to pee yet,, this has never happened before). Then, this morning I wake up to find that he peed the bed...yes..mine! Nice! Gonna take him to vets on Monday. Sounds like a urinary infection..don't ya think? I guess it could have been worse..I could have woken up with a horse's head in my bed! ha ha (what movie was that in? anyone know?)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Godfather

Bubba could have a UTI, but it is best to get him checked to make sure it isn't something else too

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. He's never been one to pee much and he isn't peeing more than usual outside (just in my bed! Lol). I took a urine sample to my vets a few minutes ago. It does have a strong odor and is pretty concentrated. He's 2 1/2 now. Could he develop bladder control issues out if the blue?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm. Sounds like a type of UTI to me. Let us know what te vet says.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Well..Bubba does have a UTI with lots of crystals in it. He said I need to change off the Fromm to Hill's diet or royal canine. I looked at the ingredients in these foods...a bunch of crap ingredients. So...I went with his allergy results in hand and went to holistic pet store. I spent a good hour there!..trying to find a food grain free and without all the things he's allergic to (peas, salmon, soybean, salmon, brewers yeast). My God! what a pain! Going all raw is soo expensive! So..I found ONE food, a freeze dried raw food-just add water. It is called SOJO's. It doesn't have anything he is allergic to and looks awesome. We'll see. The store also said I need to find out what types of crystals he had ( there are 2 types) and I can add a supplement to his current food to change his levels to either more acidic or more akaline. Not sure which direction I will go. For now, I will gradually try this new food. Love Bubbs to death but Jesus..he's high maintenance! lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well..Bubba does have a UTI with lots of crystals in it. He said I need to change off the Fromm to Hill's diet or royal canine. I looked at the ingredients in these foods...a bunch of crap ingredients. So...I went with his allergy results in hand and went to holistic pet store. I spent a good hour there!..trying to find a food grain free and without all the things he's allergic to (peas, salmon, soybean, salmon, brewers yeast). My God! what a pain! Going all raw is soo expensive! So..I found ONE food, a freeze dried raw food-just add water. It is called SOJO's. It doesn't have anything he is allergic to and looks awesome. We'll see. The store also said I need to find out what types of crystals he had ( there are 2 types) and I can add a supplement to his current food to change his levels to either more acidic or more akaline. Not sure which direction I will go. For now, I will gradually try this new food. Love Bubbs to death but Jesus..he's high maintenance! lol

Let's get the experienced crew here...... Twice and Riisi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You really need to find out what kind of crystals they are! Ones form in alkaline urine and others in acidic urine. If the crystals are formed because of infection (alkaline urine), you DON'T need to change his food. If he has UTI, but still the crystals are uric for example, you do need to do some changes, but still you don't need prescription food. The crystals must be tested. If your vet haven't tested them, then you need to change him/her first.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Looking back on my notes from vet. They told me that he has too much amonium, magnesium, and phosporus...so after doing a little research that make them struvite crystals. What should my plan be for him and his diet? The holistic food store said I could by a product to add to his current food to bring down acidic values. Have you heard of this? Something is causing the UTI and I want to make sure I will be giving him the right stuff. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] any suggestions?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@RiiSi Looking back on my notes from vet. They told me that he has too much amonium, magnesium, and phosporus...so after doing a little research that make them struvite crystals. What should my plan be for him and his diet? The holistic food store said I could by a product to add to his current food to bring down acidic values. Have you heard of this? Something is causing the UTI and I want to make sure I will be giving him the right stuff. @Twice any suggestions?

High levels of ammonia, magnesium and phosphorous? It sounds to me like his liver needs some help. Did the doctor also do a blood panel? I'm curious what his ALT and ALB are. ALT is a measurement of liver enzymes. ALB is the protein the liver makes. I'm hesitant to make any suggestions at all until we know that. Do you happen to have a copy of the test results the doctor ran?

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I couldn't get Bubba in on Saturday..way too busy..but they asked if I could bring a urine sample in..so I did. The vet tech told me the basics of the results.THey just told me I should change his diet to perscription diet for unrinary health. There has to be a reason causing this though. What do you suggest? I know you are very knowledgeable on all of this!I don't just want to treat the current UTI, I want to know what caused it! Could changing to raw be the key for him? He is currently on Fromm, chicken veg. I would never have guessed anything was wrong, except for his recent incontinence issues..otherwise..same energy,etc

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] no blood panel..just urine test since they were too busy to see him. They only said I should change his food because of the high levels of acid in his urine...which, they said , would help.(perscirption foods they suggested seemed like a bunch of garbage in them); I now have also been giving him plant enzymes with canberry powder. Slowly changing him , slowly to 'sojo's' freeze dried raw food with beef. ( not sure about it but i don't have many options for grain free and not giving anything he's allergic too) They said some dogs don't process certain foods the right way and their system gets too acidic and produces these problems. Have you heard of the supplements at the holistic dog food that changes the acidic levels..added to their current food?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Switching to raw is a good option. You can't get any more 100% natural than that. It's easier to digest too so the body won't have to work so hard to process it and his liver won't have to deal with extra stuff.

I really would like to see test results tho. There was something in your update that didn't sit right with me and I couldn't figure it out until now. You said all you did was hand them a urine sample. Yet from that one sample he was able to determine high phosphorous and magnesium levels?

Before I suggest anything else we have to determine for sure which type of crystals they are, that is super important before deciding what to do.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you heard of the supplements at the holistic dog food that changes the acidic levels..added to their current food?

He was probably going to give you some sort of a potassium supplement. Potassium helps prevent the formation of uric acid. You don't have to buy it tho. Just give him foods high in it. Bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, sardines, sweet potato, tuna, salmon are all good choices very high in potassium. Try not to give him red meat or poultry of any kind. Vitamin C also dissolves uric acid.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online