The Harness Blues

CBJNAD

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hi! Wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any ideas.

Whenever I put a harness on Izzy she goes into a depressive state like no other. She will only walk along the wall for a few steps, collapses like a load of bricks and refuses to move. If i pick her up she will go right back down and refuses to go outside. Treats will not motivate her.

If i take it off she springs back to life and resumes causing terror around the house. Its not tight or hurting her in anyway. Im trying to use a harness because she is very stubborn to walk and I dont want her to pull or hurt her neck. Ive left it on a few days hoping it would get better but it doesnt.

any ideas would be great! Thanks!

izzy3.jpg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can't say that I have run in to this before but with bullies being as stubborn as they can be at times I wouldn't be surprised. I am of no real help here as my baby loves her harness but someone should be along shortly that can help.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
When I first started walking Ace it took a few try's but I finally managed to get him going and keep him going. I would pick him up and set him back on his feet, offer treats, get all excited while encouraging to keep walking and so forth. After several attempts he picked up on it. Now all I have to do is put on his harness or training collar and he is ready to go. Your pup will get the hang of it. If after a few attempts she balks then maybe just call it quits for the time being and start again later. She will get the hang of no doubt. I think quite a few pups exhibit similar behavior at first but they get the idea eventually and then love it

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duchess was like this when she was younger- she still hates walks but has accepted them. So what I found was trying different treats - u huge hunk of hot dog, a big chunk of string cheese , beef liver, salmon etc, something you don't normally use. The next part is funny. Her harness is an easy walk that clips to the leash in front instead of on the shoulders- works great - I actually tied a huge pice of treat to the leash so that if she didn't walk I could slack up on the leash she would smell it and walk/ run to try to get it- I then would obviously slowly pull up slack- the old carrot in front of the donkey trick- it was funny watching her and guess what it worked! Good luck.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Fergus had a hard time leaving the front of the house. Dunno why :rolleyes: but once he gets going he is fine. As a pup so we didnt end up carrying him everywhere we got a red wagon once we got going he would ask to be taken out to explore IMG_0447.jpgIMG_0418.jpg he got lots of attention as the bulldog puppy in the wagon. Now he enjoys his walk and with a little coaxing to leave the house he no longer needs the wagon.

Izzy sure is cute :heart:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley despised his harness. He would do the same thing...flop down and not move. I tried everything...I was losing my mind. Wend to a collar...he walks great and will go anywhere. He'll walk miles...just not with that harness!:no:

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Tried a couple of harnesses on a few of our bullies and none of them liked them at all either. All have regular collars and have no issues walking with them.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I'm no help, my 3 love their harness but wanted to say that picture is too cute!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't use harnesses either - martingale collars -- but if you are determined to use a harness, try taking your pup somewhere he/she's never been. The excitement of sniffing out new smells might just overpower the desire to act depressed with the harness on. Maybe! Worth a try anyway.

I use martingale collars because when I redirect them from a behavior (short jerk on the leash) the chain portion of the collar makes a noise. Also, because they are a lot more roomy than a standard collar, I figure more comfortable on their big huge necks. The Ruff Wear brand that I buy offers fun patterns and colors too. Gotta be fashionable, right?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Find a food/treat that she just will not resist.... chicken, bacon, hot dog, liverwurst...s something high value to her and ONLY use it to get her to walk on harness.

OP
CBJNAD

CBJNAD

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank you all so much! I will try these suggestions out. She walks fine with a collar.....when she wants to!!
Im just worried about her neck when she pulls and tries to go somewhere that im not trying to go....like the middle of traffic for instance :)

thanks again!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hi! Wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any ideas.

Whenever I put a harness on Izzy she goes into a depressive state like no other. She will only walk along the wall for a few steps, collapses like a load of bricks and refuses to move. If i pick her up she will go right back down and refuses to go outside. Treats will not motivate her.

If i take it off she springs back to life and resumes causing terror around the house. Its not tight or hurting her in anyway. Im trying to use a harness because she is very stubborn to walk and I dont want her to pull or hurt her neck. Ive left it on a few days hoping it would get better but it doesnt.

any ideas would be great! Thanks!

View attachment 51744

If I put any thing around Remi, like a harness, a fleece winter jacket, it has the same affect as a thunder shirt. The thunder shirt is like a swaddling device and if I put it on him, he basically shuts down and doesn't want to do anything but lay down. I wonder if this could be happening here?

Have you tried just putting her in the car and going to a park? Does her demeanor change? Remi hates getting into his harness, but after a few minutes, he's fine. There is that initial moment of deadpan silence where he won't even move though. But his excitement snaps him out of whatever zone he goes in. You could try a step in harness if she won't budge though. I think it feels a little more natural for them.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Find a food/treat that she just will not resist.... chicken, bacon, hot dog, liverwurst...s something high value to her and ONLY use it to get her to walk on harness.

I agree w this. No go is king to be completely agreeable o a pillar or harness at first. You want them to associate the harness w something good so get something she really likes and give it to her...show her the harness, give her treat, let her smell the harness, give treat, etc...it will take a but but she will get it and the harness won't be her nemesis anymore.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel gets so excited when we get out her harness, but after we out it on her she sometimes refuses to walk. She has associated it with her car rides!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.