Something else about Nature's Variety...

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Isn't this more expensive, high quality food supposed to result in less :poo:? I happened to see my St.Bernard and Gertie both in the yard this-morning, side-by-side taking a :poo:, and I swear!, Gertie went nearly as huge a pile as Arrow did! My husband has been mentioning how much Bully :poo: he cleans up in the yard. I had just figured it was because we have two Bullies, but now I see what he means. If anyone else feeds Nature's Variety, are you also noticing lots of :poo:, even tho this is a "better" brand of food?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
When I first switched Vegas over to Nature's Variety, I posted how large his :poo: was, but he has now been on it for almost 2 months, I am finding little tootsie roll types twice a day. How long have you been feeding this brand? It truly took Vegas about 6 weeks to have smaller :poo:, but then again, I was feeding him way to many carrots, yogurt, fruits and veggies, as I was afraid he was not getting enough because I fed him half of what he used to be on.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My question would be how much kibble are you feeding per day? Because poop is waste, so if there is much poop, that means they are not utulizing the poop, so maybe you are giving too much? Just a thought. I never had a poo problem with Nature's Variety, we tried the Salmon and Rabbit formulas.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm just starting the switch so I don't know but I think you are using the praire formula right [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION]? Which may make a difference because I think [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and I are all feeding instinct.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Yes, I'm feeding Prairie and they've been on this for about 3 months now. I feed twice a day, they each get a cup mixed with a tablespoon of cottage cheese, yogart, pumpkin or canned food (same brand). Sometimes they eat it all and sometimes they even leave a little, so I don't think I'm over-feeding them.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Hmmm, I just started Beefy on By Nature and his poo was ALOT at first but its calmed down. Still not of a good consistency yet but i am gonna give it the full 4-6weeks.Is their poo runny?or soft?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hmm, I am feeding Baby T and Linus the Nature's Variety Instinct formulas and Linus goes 1 or 2 times and Truman is down to 3 times a day. We feed them each one cup, twice a day with a little soft food in the morning of the same brand.

My guess would either be it is because it's the "prairie" variety, which is accounting for the difference in number of stools OR, depending on how much of the other stuff you're feeding them and if you give them treats, maybe reduce the food a little bit?

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Their poops aren't runny or soft, exactly. I guess their slightly softer than they could be, cause they aren't "tootsie roll" consistency.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be more because of the grains, which are pretty much 'fillers'. Here is the ingredients in the Salmon formulas from Instinct to Prarie formula. Rice, Oats, Barely are the 3 ingredients following the Salmon Meal in prairie, which means those are the most ingredients in the food next to Salmon Meal.

Instinct formula:

Salmon Meal, Herring Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil, Tapioca, Pea Starch, Pork Liver, Natural Pork Flavor, Coconut Oil, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Tomato Pomace, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Sea Salt, Dried Kelp, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract), Taurine, Carrots, Garlic, Apples, Pumpkin, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Cod.

Prairie formula:

Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Canola Oil, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract), Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Chicken Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Heart, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary, Sage, Clove.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva has been on 3 different foods since we got her and she has always pooped pretty much the same..3 times a day. She is on Fromm now and havent had any problems.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online