Question about switching flavors of same food..

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I feed Gertie and Ida Nature's Variety Prairie Chicken and Brown Rice. In the hope of avoiding allergies later on, I'm trying to give them variety now. I've noticed several members mentioning that they buy a different flavor of the same brand of food. I haven't done this yet. I can get lamb, beef, venison or salmon. Is this really a no problem, just switch to the new flavor type thing? I don't want to do something that will cause them problems, but if switching flavors is good for them and can be done without a gradual transition I'll get a differnt flavor next time. Does anyone else feed this brand?, and if so, do you get different flavors? Or, if you do this with some other brand, please tell me how this works out for you.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I just started Beefy on By Nature and will be swtiching flavors once a month for a variety. I switch Gerogia's flavor everymonth or every other month. She has never had any tummy problems though....I'm still waiting to see how Beefy does.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent tried switching flavors yet but will this next time. I am feeding the fromm foods but I am sure if you keep it within the same family of foods it will be fine since most the ingredients are very similar already.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
You can switch flavors, all the ingredients are the same, just different types, like Salmon, chicken, lamb, but ALL other ingredients are the exact same. I started Vegas on the Salmon, he did fantastic, next bag bought chicken, Not so good, this bag went back to Salmon, he loves it better and is doing better.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I got a different flavor. Even tho all other ingredients are the same, it seems like there's quite a difference between chicken and a fish or a deer. But okay, I'll try it!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I use Nature's Variety Instinct formulas and I have tried all of the varieties so far, without a problem. I try to give half and half for a day or two, just in case, but I haven't experienced any other problems other than buying a bag of bad food that gave both my doggies a sour stomach.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.