Cherry eye surgery.... so sad.

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
I am so sad for our dog Otto. Yesterday he had cherry eye tacking surgery. I wish we'd never ever done it. It's a day later but I can't tell you how incredibly swollen and droopy his eyes are. I went back this am as soon as the opened and the doc that did it wasn't in but they gave him a shot for the pain and some drops for inflammation. The next time I'm scheduled is tomorrow at 5:15 and I don't want to wait (but it seems she's only in during the afternoon). I can't begin to describe how AWFUL and RED and so so so swollen they look. It's as if they are inside out. This mornings doc said they are extra swollen and he has congunctivitis. I seriously feel like I butchered my dog. The vet has done these often and she has a ton of bulldog patients... that I've seen in the waiting room. I am so sad and depressed. Anyone ever deal w/ this? :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh dear Alicia, my heart hurts for the pain & guilt you are feeling, so sad!

I have no experience w/this but others here do and will advise you.

Know I will begin praying for you and precious Otto, that he begins recovering
immediately and without complications.

Please be kind to your self, we are not the experts and so, can only do as they
advise what is best for our bullies. Sending hugs of comfort & strength...
:angelheart:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I had the same feelings. When we got Tubbs back from surgery I thought they did a hack job. It does get better I promise. No one warned me either that it looks like that so when I saw him I was ready to strangle the doctor with his leash!!!!

:hug2:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Keeping you and Otto in our thoughts and prayers while he recovers.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have no experience with this, but Dudley and I are sending you and Otto good thoughts and lots of hugs!:hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hug: many members have gone through this and they will be along to help you through..... it looks horrible, but will look great when it is done :hug:

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Oh dear Alicia, my heart hurts for the pain & guilt you are feeling, so sad!

I have no experience w/this but others here do and will advise you.

Know I will begin praying for you and precious Otto, that he begins recovering
immediately and without complications.

Please be kind to your self, we are not the experts and so, can only do as they
advise what is best for our bullies. Sending hugs of comfort & strength...
:angelheart:

Thank you so much Carol. Please direct your prayers only at Otto! He is in need of them. I'm just the jerk who got his eyes done thinking it would be better for him because he kept bumping his cherries on things and they were bleeding. Now, I'm not so sure at all.

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
I had the same feelings. When we got Tubbs back from surgery I thought they did a hack job. It does get better I promise. No one warned me either that it looks like that so when I saw him I was ready to strangle the doctor with his leash!!!!

:hug2:
Thanks so much for sharing Tubbs story. I hope Otto recovers like Tubbs did. It looks so incredibly inflamed and awful. Huge. Like the eye is inside out. Plus he's only a pup. Not sure if I should have waited longer. He kept bumping his cherries on things outside, when he was playing, etc. and they would bleed. They were big too and he just wasn't himself. Now he's really out of sorts!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
I have no experience with this, but Dudley and I are sending you and Otto good thoughts and lots of hugs!:hug:

I hope you never ever have to go through with it - for the sake of your bully & you! Thank you for the support.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We are praying!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:angelhug:Hi Alicia, like everyone on here has already said, don't be so hard on yourself, he obviously needed the surgery, and it does get better. Don't worry it always looks worse before it gets better, I had both of Blossoms' cherry eyes repaired at 7 months old when I had her spayed, and she had swelling form her surgery as well, and her eye were red and watery, we had pain meds for a week, and antibiotic eye drops for her eye as well, which we used for a few weeks post surgery. Ottos eyes will heal and they will be beautiful. It just takes time to heal, sending love hugs, and prayers to you and Otto, and Bulldozer and Blossom send big slobbery kisses to him as well. Don't worry everything will heal.

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
We have no experience with this either but thoughts and prayers sent from Missouri. Get well soon Otto.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Thanks so much for sharing Tubbs story. I hope Otto recovers like Tubbs did. It looks so incredibly inflamed and awful. Huge. Like the eye is inside out. Plus he's only a pup. Not sure if I should have waited longer. He kept bumping his cherries on things outside, when he was playing, etc. and they would bleed. They were big too and he just wasn't himself. Now he's really out of sorts!

Tubby's was done at 4 months. I hated putting him through the surgery but it broker my heart every time I looked at him. I just know Otto will make a full recovery. These bullies are incredibly resilient, must have something to do with their stubbornness

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online