Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Collar slipped off

Hi everyone, I got the scare of my life today. I took Dozer out for a walk today, came back in, and then took Blossom out to do her duties. I was walking her up through the complex, towards the sidewalk, because I was going to take her across Creditview road, as the other side has a wooded park area, and a river, and I usually take them down there for a walk. As I was heading close to the Road which Is a really really busy street, Blossom started pulling, and she was running in circles, pulling on the leash, she slipped out of her new Kong collar, and bolted toward the street. I couldn't move, I just froze, and screamed her name, begging and wishing her to stop, or come back to me, but she darted across the street, over to the park and just sat on the grass. Miraculously there wasn't any cars when she bolted, so was not hit by a car. I don't know how we got so lucky, because that street is usually super busy, I think it was because the intersection which is down the road a bit, had a red light. I ran accross the street and she came to me, and I put her collar back on. We just got both Dozer and Blossom new Kong collars, and I keep having to tighten them, they keep moving and loosening. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kong collar? I'm so glad she didn't get hurt, but still shaky.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Collar slipped off

The harness we have is made by kong. The collar we use to hold her tags and walk her mostly w is actually a Brett Michael. The leather is very soft so it goes through the clasp easily and doesn't mess about w her fur. I had to clasp it up for you to see otherwise it is too long for a pic..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

omg how scary! Thank goodness she is ok. Sometimes I think our pups love to keep us on our toes and give us mini heart attacks. I havent had that issue but I we walk Fergus on a harness by Kong with no issue. This is the one we use http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11698352.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

A bully's neck is often as big as his head so a collar can slip off relatively easy. Either use a harness for walking or a prong collar. The dog cannot slip out of either of these

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    A bully's neck is often as big as his head so a collar can slip off relatively easy. Either use a harness for walking or a prong collar. The dog cannot slip out of either of these
    I agree I like harnesses better but never say never. My bully has pulled hard enough to somehow manage to pop out of her harness. Luckily she usually doesn't go anywhere ( as the point of her pulling is she doesn't want to walk anymore or she wants to go back home and sleep on the porch!)

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi everyone, I got the scare of my life today. I took Dozer out for a walk today, came back in, and then took Blossom out to do her duties. I was walking her up through the complex, towards the sidewalk, because I was going to take her across Creditview road, as the other side has a wooded park area, and a river, and I usually take them down there for a walk. As I was heading close to the Road which Is a really really busy street, Blossom started pulling, and she was running in circles, pulling on the leash, she slipped out of her new Kong collar, and bolted toward the street. I couldn't move, I just froze, and screamed her name, begging and wishing her to stop, or come back to me, but she darted across the street, over to the park and just sat on the grass. Miraculously there wasn't any cars when she bolted, so was not hit by a car. I don't know how we got so lucky, because that street is usually super busy, I think it was because the intersection which is down the road a bit, had a red light. I ran accross the street and she came to me, and I put her collar back on. We just got both Dozer and Blossom new Kong collars, and I keep having to tighten them, they keep moving and loosening. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kong collar? I'm so glad she didn't get hurt, but still shaky.
    Ms Blossom has some angels at Rainbow Bridge watching over her to make it across creditview road with no cars in sight! I'm very happy to hear no one was hurt. Lots of hugs coming your way for the scare

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How scary. i am glad she was not hurt. We use a padded harness on Harlea. The step in kind and not the over the head ones as she can get out of those.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

OMG! I don't use the collar but OMG!!! I am so glad that she is ok! When we go out on walks we use a harness for Loki because he almost blows out his neck when we put it on because mid walk the collar seems 3 times bigger then when we put it on.
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

WOW... I'm so glad that Blossom wasn't hurt!!! Bella ran out of the house one time, and ran in the street right in front of a car (thankfully was stopped!!!)... I was screaming her name at the top of my lung, she didn't care one bit!!! I only use a harness, because several times Bella had slipped out of her collar. Scared me to death too

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
    It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. -paws-pet-comfort-control-harness-red-medium-045663591656-jpg

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
    -ppets-14469080t300x300-jpg

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.
    Last edited by LariP; 08-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Poor you...so glad Blossom is fine. Dudley ran out the front door one night after my boyfriend. I yelled his name and his training kicked in and turned right around and came back into the house! I blessed his trainer so much that night for teaching me the "come" command!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

OMG... I was hyperventilating reading that.... thank goodness you are both OK. I had a collar like that before and I ended up tossing it, as it was not worth the constant concern of it coming off, which also sent me over to always using a harness
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads