brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. View attachment 51554

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
View attachment 51555

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.

The step in kind is what we use. It is great but you still have to be careful if they back up and pull.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a very similar incident. I arrived at the vet's office-got one dog and put her down out of the car. As I was turning to get the other dog,the leash went slack-I looked and Lizzie was gone! Somehow she got out of her halter and took off sniffing everywhere. That is also on a very busy road, and she would NOT listen at all. I closed the car door and went chasing after her, scared to death that she was going to run out in the road! The little brat wouldn't even respond to me! I finally managed to sneak up on her as she found something very interesting to sniff, and I grabbed her. Now I only use a STEP IN halter, by LUPINE. They are strong and don't stretch, and have a replacement guarantee(on the chewed). She had a halter on, but it was not a step in. That incident took years off my life!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks everyone. It was definitely a scary experience for me. I keep rethinking it in my mind and shudder to think what could have happened if there had been a bunch of cars, Creditview Road is a two lane Road, with traffic going in both directions, it is usually a very busy traffic road. It was just pure luck and miracle, and her bully angels looking over her that saved her for getting hit by a car. I was so shaky after that and never want to relive that again. I just bought the along collars last week, but I'm going to go look at harnesses this weekend, and switch them to harness when we go for walks. What type of harness does everyone use or recommend for bullies?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I highly recommend the step in like I pictured above. It looks huge on that stuffed dog, but they are fully adjustable to the dog. We even "fitted" HRH for her first one right in the store with the help of an associate. She wears a large, but it's got a lot of room to adjust for a bigger dog than her.
They have them very reasonably priced at Petsmart and they work very well. We have to be careful with HRH because she's so skittish a loud sudden noise will send her scurrying. That's why she bolted out of the other one. We got one for Amelia recently It's a size Large also and right now it's even a little big on her but the medium size wasn't going to fit her long, but it still holds her little wiggle butt very securely.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
OMG How scary Monica. Glad Dozer wasn't hit by a car. That could have ended so bad, she's a lucky girl. She must have wanted to go back to that park bad. Definitely get a harness. They're better for a couple reasons over a collar, there's no pulling on the neck and they're harder for them to get out of. Note that I said harder and not impossible. Wilson was being a pill one day at Petsmart and he pulled he opposite direction that I wanted to go and he came out of his harness. I didn't have it ultra tight but he came out. Get harnesses and be done with it. The step in's are nice harnesses. I have them. I do find the normal harness easier to put on and Emma and Wilson prefer them over the step in. Not sure why but they just do to like that step in, never have.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone here... I only use the step in harness for my bully & boxer! They can NOT escape these...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks guys, I'm going out to Petsmart this weekend to look for a harness for them, so this hopefully never happens again, I shudder to think what could have happened. She definetly had a guardian angel and God watching over her.
Which brand or make of harnessesdo you guys use or recommend ?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks guys, I'm going out to Petsmart this weekend to look for a harness for them, so this hopefully never happens again, I shudder to think what could have happened. She definetly had a guardian angel and God watching over her.
Which brand or make of harnessesdo you guys use or recommend ?

I just use the Petsmart brand. I actually like the clasps on them better than the other brands.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh I am so glad Blossom is alright and how scary for you. I don't like collars for this reason and others but I use this harness
th
on Ftse and had no trouble with it coming off< I used a easy walk harness on him and it fell of him while walking along the road so that went straight back to the shop and I put him back into this one it is an EzyDog.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Oh I am so glad Blossom is alright and how scary for you. I don't like collars for this reason and others but I use this harness
th
on Ftse and had no trouble with it coming off< I used a easy walk harness on him and it fell of him while walking along the road so that went straight back to the shop and I put him back into this one it is an EzyDog.

This is the identical harness I use with Ace. Adjusted properly I have had no problem with him being able to back up out of it. It might be possible but would be very difficult.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.