Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I got the scare of my life today. I took Dozer out for a walk today, came back in, and then took Blossom out to do her duties. I was walking her up through the complex, towards the sidewalk, because I was going to take her across Creditview road, as the other side has a wooded park area, and a river, and I usually take them down there for a walk. As I was heading close to the Road which Is a really really busy street, Blossom started pulling, and she was running in circles, pulling on the leash, she slipped out of her new Kong collar, and bolted toward the street. I couldn't move, I just froze, and screamed her name, begging and wishing her to stop, or come back to me, but she darted across the street, over to the park and just sat on the grass. Miraculously there wasn't any cars when she bolted, so was not hit by a car. I don't know how we got so lucky, because that street is usually super busy, I think it was because the intersection which is down the road a bit, had a red light. I ran accross the street and she came to me, and I put her collar back on. We just got both Dozer and Blossom new Kong collars, and I keep having to tighten them, they keep moving and loosening. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kong collar? I'm so glad she didn't get hurt, but still shaky.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
The harness we have is made by kong. The collar we use to hold her tags and walk her mostly w is actually a Brett Michael. The leather is very soft so it goes through the clasp easily and doesn't mess about w her fur. I had to clasp it up for you to see otherwise it is too long for a pic..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 139

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
A bully's neck is often as big as his head so a collar can slip off relatively easy. Either use a harness for walking or a prong collar. The dog cannot slip out of either of these

Mullenbooger

Apr 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
A bully's neck is often as big as his head so a collar can slip off relatively easy. Either use a harness for walking or a prong collar. The dog cannot slip out of either of these

I agree I like harnesses better but never say never. My bully has pulled hard enough to somehow manage to pop out of her harness. Luckily she usually doesn't go anywhere ( as the point of her pulling is she doesn't want to walk anymore or she wants to go back home and sleep on the porch!)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Hi everyone, I got the scare of my life today. I took Dozer out for a walk today, came back in, and then took Blossom out to do her duties. I was walking her up through the complex, towards the sidewalk, because I was going to take her across Creditview road, as the other side has a wooded park area, and a river, and I usually take them down there for a walk. As I was heading close to the Road which Is a really really busy street, Blossom started pulling, and she was running in circles, pulling on the leash, she slipped out of her new Kong collar, and bolted toward the street. I couldn't move, I just froze, and screamed her name, begging and wishing her to stop, or come back to me, but she darted across the street, over to the park and just sat on the grass. Miraculously there wasn't any cars when she bolted, so was not hit by a car. I don't know how we got so lucky, because that street is usually super busy, I think it was because the intersection which is down the road a bit, had a red light. I ran accross the street and she came to me, and I put her collar back on. We just got both Dozer and Blossom new Kong collars, and I keep having to tighten them, they keep moving and loosening. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kong collar? I'm so glad she didn't get hurt, but still shaky.

Ms Blossom has some angels at Rainbow Bridge watching over her to make it across creditview road with no cars in sight! I'm very happy to hear no one was hurt. Lots of hugs coming your way for the scare

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
How scary. i am glad she was not hurt. We use a padded harness on Harlea. The step in kind and not the over the head ones as she can get out of those.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
OMG! I don't use the collar but OMG!!! I am so glad that she is ok! When we go out on walks we use a harness for Loki because he almost blows out his neck when we put it on because mid walk the collar seems 3 times bigger then when we put it on.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW... I'm so glad that Blossom wasn't hurt!!! Bella ran out of the house one time, and ran in the street right in front of a car (thankfully was stopped!!!)... I was screaming her name at the top of my lung, she didn't care one bit!!! I only use a harness, because several times Bella had slipped out of her collar. Scared me to death too :eek:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. Four-Paws-Pet-Comfort-Control-Harness-Red-Medium-045663591656.jpg

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
pPETS-14469080t300x300.jpg

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Poor you...so glad Blossom is fine. Dudley ran out the front door one night after my boyfriend. I yelled his name and his training kicked in and turned right around and came back into the house! I blessed his trainer so much that night for teaching me the "come" command! :whew:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... I was hyperventilating reading that.... thank goodness you are both OK. I had a collar like that before and I ended up tossing it, as it was not worth the constant concern of it coming off, which also sent me over to always using a harness

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. View attachment 51554

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
View attachment 51555

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.

I agree on the flat collar. I have one that I sometimes use in the house just to be able to grab if need be but never walk Ace with a flat collar for the reason you mentioned.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Oh my I would have had a heart attack we don't live on a busy street but Sheldon when he first learned he could open the screen door he would hit that screen door and bolt over to the neighbors German Shepherd, never went any further than that and now he doesn't get off the porch because he realizes he is out the door without his leash and he just stops...I use a harness with the two heavy D rings on the top and the adjustable neck and chest. I put it on him then adjusted it to him and now I don't worry.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank god she was ok. I walk Brutus with a harness only. Sometimes if he is fussy he will back up pulling and it looks like he could pull out of the harness. I usually freak out and just grab his entire body. I think my reaction scares him to death and he stops. I am sick just thinking about your experience.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.