Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Collar slipped off

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
    It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. Attachment 51554

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
    Attachment 51555

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.
    I agree on the flat collar. I have one that I sometimes use in the house just to be able to grab if need be but never walk Ace with a flat collar for the reason you mentioned.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh my I would have had a heart attack we don't live on a busy street but Sheldon when he first learned he could open the screen door he would hit that screen door and bolt over to the neighbors German Shepherd, never went any further than that and now he doesn't get off the porch because he realizes he is out the door without his leash and he just stops...I use a harness with the two heavy D rings on the top and the adjustable neck and chest. I put it on him then adjusted it to him and now I don't worry.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Thank god she was ok. I walk Brutus with a harness only. Sometimes if he is fussy he will back up pulling and it looks like he could pull out of the harness. I usually freak out and just grab his entire body. I think my reaction scares him to death and he stops. I am sick just thinking about your experience.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    I can relate to how scared you were. HRH pulled out of a harness shortly after we first got her.
    It was this type of harness that had a yoke that wasn't adjustable at the chest and the waist didn't tighten enough to hold her. Attachment 51554

We switched to this step in harness that seems much more secure.
    Attachment 51555

We don't ever use collars on the girls. We have heard way too many scary stories about them hurting bully's windpipes so we just won't risk it.
    The step in kind is what we use. It is great but you still have to be careful if they back up and pull.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I had a very similar incident. I arrived at the vet's office-got one dog and put her down out of the car. As I was turning to get the other dog,the leash went slack-I looked and Lizzie was gone! Somehow she got out of her halter and took off sniffing everywhere. That is also on a very busy road, and she would NOT listen at all. I closed the car door and went chasing after her, scared to death that she was going to run out in the road! The little brat wouldn't even respond to me! I finally managed to sneak up on her as she found something very interesting to sniff, and I grabbed her. Now I only use a STEP IN halter, by LUPINE. They are strong and don't stretch, and have a replacement guarantee(on the chewed). She had a halter on, but it was not a step in. That incident took years off my life!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. It was definitely a scary experience for me. I keep rethinking it in my mind and shudder to think what could have happened if there had been a bunch of cars, Creditview Road is a two lane Road, with traffic going in both directions, it is usually a very busy traffic road. It was just pure luck and miracle, and her bully angels looking over her that saved her for getting hit by a car. I was so shaky after that and never want to relive that again. I just bought the along collars last week, but I'm going to go look at harnesses this weekend, and switch them to harness when we go for walks. What type of harness does everyone use or recommend for bullies?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

I highly recommend the step in like I pictured above. It looks huge on that stuffed dog, but they are fully adjustable to the dog. We even "fitted" HRH for her first one right in the store with the help of an associate. She wears a large, but it's got a lot of room to adjust for a bigger dog than her.
    They have them very reasonably priced at Petsmart and they work very well. We have to be careful with HRH because she's so skittish a loud sudden noise will send her scurrying. That's why she bolted out of the other one. We got one for Amelia recently It's a size Large also and right now it's even a little big on her but the medium size wasn't going to fit her long, but it still holds her little wiggle butt very securely.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

OMG How scary Monica. Glad Dozer wasn't hit by a car. That could have ended so bad, she's a lucky girl. She must have wanted to go back to that park bad. Definitely get a harness. They're better for a couple reasons over a collar, there's no pulling on the neck and they're harder for them to get out of. Note that I said harder and not impossible. Wilson was being a pill one day at Petsmart and he pulled he opposite direction that I wanted to go and he came out of his harness. I didn't have it ultra tight but he came out. Get harnesses and be done with it. The step in's are nice harnesses. I have them. I do find the normal harness easier to put on and Emma and Wilson prefer them over the step in. Not sure why but they just do to like that step in, never have.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I agree w/everyone here... I only use the step in harness for my bully & boxer! They can NOT escape these...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys, I'm going out to Petsmart this weekend to look for a harness for them, so this hopefully never happens again, I shudder to think what could have happened. She definetly had a guardian angel and God watching over her.
    Which brand or make of harnessesdo you guys use or recommend ?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm going out to Petsmart this weekend to look for a harness for them, so this hopefully never happens again, I shudder to think what could have happened. She definetly had a guardian angel and God watching over her.
    Which brand or make of harnessesdo you guys use or recommend ?
    I just use the Petsmart brand. I actually like the clasps on them better than the other brands.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh I am so glad Blossom is alright and how scary for you. I don't like collars for this reason and others but I use this harness on Ftse and had no trouble with it coming off< I used a easy walk harness on him and it fell of him while walking along the road so that went straight back to the shop and I put him back into this one it is an EzyDog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads