Swollen red sack after neuter

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I know this belongs in the health section but the general seems to have more traffic and I'm about to have a heart attack over here.

July 31 Tubby went in to get neutered. Everything went smoothly and he was healing nicely. Some time last week the sack that used to hold his family jewels appeared to be swelling. August 2 he went back to the vet for his after neuter check up and the vet measured it and told us to keep an eye on it. Well tonight we come home and the sack is redder then red and hot to the touch. Tubby has an appointment tomorrow at the vet's to get bathed and so forth. I guess the point of this rambling is to see if any one else has experience this with their bully.

Some info to add. When Tubby had his cherry eye done in March the gland has never really lost the redness to it. The ophthalmologist said he thinks Tubby may have an allergy to the stitches. So I'm wondering if he is having a reaction to the stitches. Tubby is his same old self. Hyper and loving. He had normal bowel movements.

photo (1).jpg

I just don't know what to do anymore. Tubby's dad hit the roof when he saw it because its just more money to be spent. Overall in the 7 months we've had him we're at about $10,000 for all of his various health issues. I just want to cry I feel like such a failure as a mom. I love Tubby to death but at what point is it too much???

@TexasCarol I beg you to send some prayers our way. We need all the help we can get at this point

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sorry as I am no help with the situation. You are a great bully momma for giving Tubby all the love and care he needs. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
TubbysMom you are an incredible Bully Mom. These things happen and they can't be avoided. If he ever has to have surgery again tell the surgeon about the eye and neuter surgeries. There are other suture materials that they can try. If Tubby is rubbing himself on the floor or feeling uncomfortable you can give him Benadryl or generic Benadryl 1mg per 1 pound of bulldog.

I am sending you a big hug and many, many prayers

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Take a deep breath. His skin may just be irritated from a bug bite or a summer allergy. When the vet said to keep an eye on it did he mention any possible reasons for it looking a bit abnormal? Might be worth cleaning the area for now and putting some triple antibiotic on it to see if it is perhaps an external irritation. You are a great mom and I am sorry you have had to spend so much in vets bills.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
TubbysMom you are an incredible Bully Mom. These things happen and they can't be avoided. If he ever has to have surgery again tell the surgeon about the eye and neuter surgeries. There are other suture materials that they can try. If Tubby is rubbing himself on the floor or feeling uncomfortable you can give him Benadryl or generic Benadryl 1mg per 1 pound of bulldog.

I am sending you a big hug and many, many prayers

I've been watching and when he sits it looks like he's almost sitting on it. He doesn't sit on his bum he sits off to the side. Our place for the most part is carpet so I wonder if its irritated from that?

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Take a deep breath. His skin may just be irritated from a bug bite or a summer allergy. When the vet said to keep an eye on it did he mention any possible reasons for it looking a bit abnormal? Might be worth cleaning the area for now and putting some triple antibiotic on it to see if it is perhaps an external irritation. You are a great mom and I am sorry you have had to spend so much in vets bills.

The week before his neuter he developed a bacterial infection in between his eyes and on top of his head. He's been on antibiotics for it and its cleared up. The vet said as long as there's no bumps in the area they were okay to go ahead with the neuter. They did a skin scraping and the vet said they couldn't tell what it was or where it came from but it was for sure bacterial.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki had hernia surgery when he was a little guy still and he had an allergic reaction yo the internal stitches and it sounds like maybe Tubby is having the same problem. Our given options were antibiotics and letting them come out naturally which was gross as hell! Or having it reopened and closed using different closures. We chose plan a and he didn't even know what was up occasionally a small puss bubble would show up and a dark black stitch would poke out and we would have to pull it out slowly when it was ready. Hopefully that isn't Tub y's issue but it is possible. Keep us posted hugs and slobbery kisses coming your way!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're going through this with Tubby. I agree with all the comments above, don't beat yourself up, you are a great bully mama, doing your best to give Tubby the medical and surgical procedures he needs. Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault, we can't forsee what medical or health problems will arise when we buy our babies, we just do what is best for them. We buy them because we truly love the breed and we do this even knowing all the possible and common health issues bulldogs have. Sending love , hugs and prayers your way that the vet will find what is causing the inflammation, and Tubby heals.

6. Possible surgical and post-surgical complications of neutering.
6a. Pain after surgery (e.g. dog walking stiffly, not wanting to sit down and so on).
6b. Swollen, bruised, blood-filled scrotum after surgery.
6c. Wound break-down - break down of the skin stitches.
6d. Wound infection.
6e. Suture-site reactions - swollen, red skin around sutures or stitches.
6f. Penis and/or urethra laceration.
6g. Excessive wound hemorrhage (excessive bleeding during or after surgery).
6h. Failure to ligate (tie off) the testicular blood vessels adequately.
6i. Post-operative renal failure (kidney failure).
6j. Anaesthetic death.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Because of the previous stitch reaction I am guessing that it is probably the stitches again. The swelling is almost in a line. I would think if it was irritated by the carpet that the red area would be more widespread. Putting pressure on it may help stop any irritation he may be feeling. Your vet did the correct thing in measuring the red spot before so he will know exactly how much it has changed. I am glad to know he is his normal self. Tomorrow's timing is perfect since you already have an appointment at the vet you will be able to show it to them and hopefully get some answers.

At this point you have spent so much on Tubby that you will have to keep him or send him to me. You have fixed the problems now you can enjoy him. He is a precious soul. You are doing everything right. :heart:

Let us know how tomorrow goes. Sending more prayers.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
The week before his neuter he developed a bacterial infection in between his eyes and on top of his head. He's been on antibiotics for it and its cleared up. The vet said as long as there's no bumps in the area they were okay to go ahead with the neuter. They did a skin scraping and the vet said they couldn't tell what it was or where it came from but it was for sure bacterial.

ok so odds are it is a bacterial infection. Our skin and the world in general is teeming with bacteria just looking for an opportune moment. His system was already somewhat compromised and then the neuter, although done in a sterile environment, you can still pick up lots of bacteria. Did they give him any antibiotics with his neuter? I would definitely clean the area and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@TubbysMom...you got more prayers coming your way, Stephanie.

I'm so sorry that these problems (and others) have caused these worries
and problems...you are just worn out and we all would be!

I think he may be allergic to theses sutures material, they have other material
to use then. Apply some antibiotic ointment to it, give him 2 Benedryl and it's
good he's eating/pooing/drinking well.

I will send other suggestions to improve his immune system & clear that bacterial
stuff from his skin, I keep losing my posts all night (losing Internet off n on).

Going to be praying right now...sending YOU...love, courage, strength & comfort.

YOU are a great mom...don't listen or give in to negativity, you've almost won the
fight...keep the faith, fight the good fight & claim your victory. It's going to be alright!

GOD bless all.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Oh no... Sending :hug:and :pray: Tubby gets well soon. You are a wonderful bully mama.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
[MENTION=7831]TubbysMom[/MENTION] dont panic.. the exact same thing happened to Meeko when he had his surgery im just searching if I still have pics. I rushed him straight back to the vets panicking thinking what the hell have I done. I cant remember the technical term for it but its where theyr still young pups and its hard for them to stay still it causes stress to the wound. And if tubbs is anythin like Meeko who refused to lay down quiet and wanted to act normal then im positive thats the answer.. and it will get a bit worse before it gets better. But please dont panic!! Calm down I know how worrying it is

20130207_083829.jpg first it swell huuuuge and bruised a bit... then the next day I woke up to this and literally cries for him and rang the vets demanding an appointment within the hour lol
20130208_073746.jpg

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
We had Bazza done June, and I do remember there was a time we looked and it looked alittle swollen and very red, we were alittle concerned:down:, but we just kept on eye on it, then it cleared up, so praying :pray:same with your Tubby, and take it easy on yourself you are obviously a very loving and caring mum !!!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry... I have nothing to add, looks like you got some great advice. Just please know that you are NOT alone, that we are here to help & support you anyway we can! Keep us posted... :hug2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.