Bulldogs and Babies: Formulating a Long-Term Plan

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
**Let me start by saying I am 36 weeks pregnant, I just lost my older bulldog, and I know it is is NOT the time to get another dog to add to the family!**

That out of the way, I am hoping for some advice on developing a long-term plan to add another bully to our fold. Not only do I want another bulldog, I truly believe they do better in pairs and want Truman to have a brother to chum around with as he has never been alone.

But the timing with a baby due is so, so complicated. I am due on September 6th and understand that I will need time to adjust to having a baby in the house, as we all will. But I also really do not want to wait TOO long before we add another bulldog to the family. Am I crazy to think it would be possible to have an infant and a new furbaby as well? This is an honest question as I am truly looking for experiences and opinions on the subject.

I have also thought about forgoing a puppy and trying to get an adult bulldog but they are more difficult to come by, particularly since I'd require a fairly well adjusted and social dog with a baby in the house.

I know there are a ton of variables here but anyone any insight or advice is appreciated...these thoughts have been rolling around in my head for the past couple days so I thought it's better to get them out than keep dwelling on what's become something of a fear of not being able to have two bullies in the future.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I'm a Grammie, currently puppy sitting a 11 week pup during the day. It's hard! Lol..but already better! Personally, I think once your skin baby is sleeping through the night..why not? There will be the usual puppy shark biting..but the bully should be well past that stage by the time your skin baby is moving on the ground.

I don't think your crazy at all, Jill. Far far fom it. Planning is good. But..sometimes life goes in a totally odd direction. You will make it work. :)

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
No no no [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ... lol!! My experience taught me that having a newborn and a puppy at the same time was the best idea ive ever had! I chose to get Meeko when Demari was 10 weeks old. Im not gonna lie to you its a bit of a challenge at first but toilet training meeko was sooo much easier. I was up all sorts of hours doing nightfeeds and each time I was up.. meeko went out to potty and as the baby slept longer through the night meeko went longer before his next potty and I hardly had any accidents and meeko was house trained in no time at all. Also through the day a small baby sleeps a lot - giving you the time to train the pup too. Whereas if ypu wait until the baby is older.. they only have limited nap time so less time to train pup and also when theyr crawlin/walking they start climbin all over the dog.. feeding them real food toys and anythin else lol. If the pup is a bit older before this happens and knows simple commands like no drop it sit etc its a lot easier for u lol.

Like I said at first it seems a lot and like ur a madwoman giving urself such a big challenge but I dont regret my decision. Meekos training was a breeze and he lets the skin baby do anything and everything to him. Theyr both now 1year old and He climbs over him takes his food ofd him his toys he pulls his tail he sits on his back and pretends to ride him and meeko just lays there and takes it. He goves meeko treats too anf points at him for him to sit. They are best of friends.
I often joke and say Meeko listens to Demari more than me but the older hes getting its more true!

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
**Let me start by saying I am 36 weeks pregnant, I just lost my older bulldog, and I know it is is NOT the time to get another dog to add to the family!**

That out of the way, I am hoping for some advice on developing a long-term plan to add another bully to our fold. Not only do I want another bulldog, I truly believe they do better in pairs and want Truman to have a brother to chum around with as he has never been alone.

But the timing with a baby due is so, so complicated. I am due on September 6th and understand that I will need time to adjust to having a baby in the house, as we all will. But I also really do not want to wait TOO long before we add another bulldog to the family. Am I crazy to think it would be possible to have an infant and a new furbaby as well? This is an honest question as I am truly looking for experiences and opinions on the subject.

I have also thought about forgoing a puppy and trying to get an adult bulldog but they are more difficult to come by, particularly since I'd require a fairly well adjusted and social dog with a baby in the house.

I know there are a ton of variables here but anyone any insight or advice is appreciated...these thoughts have been rolling around in my head for the past couple days so I thought it's better to get them out than keep dwelling on what's become something of a fear of not being able to have two bullies in the future.

I think if you are planning on having a new bully before your child is three, that a puppy is a better choice than a rescue. I have never said a puppy is better than a rescue before, rescue is my life. In my heart I would have an extremely difficult time trusting a rescue with a newborn. A puppy can grow and learn as a baby grows. With the proper guidance it can grow into an amazing relationship. A rescue even the best can come with to many variables that you don't have in puppy. Congratulations on the new baby and best wishes for a safe speedy delivery.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
2013-07-30 08.11.41.jpg20130730_081700.jpg20130726_165949.jpg20130726_165649.jpg20130719_121747.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a 22 mos old grandson that I watch several days a week, and we had 8 puppies this last Dec. Winston has been around Marcus from the get-go, and I have to agree w/everyone here that it seems it was just as easy (I say that lightly... LOL) to have puppy & a baby at the same time. Granted Marcus wasn't a newborn when Winston came in the picture, and I also agree @JAKEISGREAT I would wait till your baby is sleeping thru the night!!! For me that was the hardest part to adjusting to having a baby... I NEED my sleep!!! :babysleep: It is the sweetest thing to watch Winston when Marcus is here, he stays by his side the entire time... they are great buddies!!! And of course Winston knows that Marcus is going to drop a snack or too, that's a given... LOL Congratulations on your baby, and I'm so very sorry that you are dealing w/all of this right now regarding the loss of your baby Linus. I know that Bentley & Linus are watching over you guys... :hug:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great insights! I totally understand what you're saying [MENTION=8502]christyjulene[/MENTION] - with a baby it would probably more ideal to get a puppy and bring them up together. [MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] brought up a lot of the things I was thinking about in terms of "as long as I'm up anyway..." but I would need to understand that BOTH baby and puppy need lots of attention. Well, it's something to think about.

I know there are others who have had little ones and younger bullies, so I am hoping more people weigh in...ahem [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] :-)

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well Jill, I haven't had a puppy and baby together at he same time but I tend to agree with @meekosmommy. Newborns, unless colicky or something sleep a lot. Aside from you getting no sleep, you do get lots of breaks since they nap like 3x a day for a while. If you r considering a puppy then just go for it. You will adjust to what you need to do. If you want an older pup, I think I would wait till the baby is more about a year or so. I say just do it. ;)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Personally i think it might be a little bit hard to have a new baby and new fur baby -but it is manageable
Why im saying it is hard -i used to help now and again to do pictures of dogs needing homes for my local shelter and they always get puppies because people simply cant manage caring for puppies when they have a newborn in the house
It is definitely something you need to think about ,will puppy get as much care as he or she might need ,what if a emergency vet is needed and your baby is sick at the same time
I know people that done it ,but also a few that couldn't manage
I know loss of your dog is a heartbreaking thing -we lost our beloved boxer over a year ago and i felt empty -if it wasn't for my 5 year old crying all the time I think i would allow myself more time to greave -and adopt a dog at later date .As least i wanted to do is compare new dog to the one i lost xx
I hope that whatever decision you make it will be right for all of you xxx

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Ps when i my child was born my rescue dog was adopted few months before -she was 7 years old at the time -and all went fine ;-)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Personally, I LOVE senior bullies. They are soooo sweet. Might take some research to find one available that is well socialized and mellow but there are a lot out there that need a new family to share their love with.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't had a puppy aged bully with a baby, but I'm certain it may have actually been a little easier than having a full blown adult in some ways. I never had any real problems after I figured out how to introduce baby to bully (sniff diaper method) ....I really think it depends in your training prowess and patience level! And of course your realistic outlook on the possibilities, which you have and are considering.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online