sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Today was a pretty tough day.

As many of you know, I lost my older bulldog Linus on Wednesday. Today, I had originally scheduled a vet appointment for both Linus and Truman for their semi-annual physical - but only Truman made the trip this time.

For the semi-annual check up, I usually drop the dogs off in the morning and they run their tests, give any needed booster shots, give them a physical and call me when they are all finished. I was dreading dropping off Truman because I didn't want to be without him for any part of the day, and I knew the vet staff, used to seeing my bullies together, would ask about Linus.

And they did. And I was okay. I told a few of the vet techs who asked about Linus, and had been informed about his death by the emergency clinic where we brought him to have him cremated, about the circumstances of his death. They expressed their condolences and I thanked them, then waited patiently in the exam room for someone to take Truman back.

What happened next was one of most generous shows of compassion by a vet I have ever experienced.

It is Sunday, so Dr. Wright was the only vet on-staff and undoubtedly busy since many like take advantage of weekend hours. Despite this, Dr. Wright came in to exam room (we usually don't see him during the semi-annual check ups), took my hand, and said how sorry he was about Linus. He then proceeded to spend about 15 minutes of his time talking to me about Linus, about Linus' death, about all of the doubts that swirl in your mind after you lose someone you love - did I do enough? Was he in pain? Was he afraid?

Dr. Wright, compassionately and honestly, answered all of my questions and offered his expert insights on Linus, on his life, and on his death. With great certainty, he assured me that Linus died as he lived - in atmosphere of comfort and love. He talked to me about Truman and how he was handling Linus' passing, as he pet Truman -who at this point, was rolling around the floor with glee because of all the attention. I commented to him about how Truman, despite spending time with Linus' body, didn't really react to his death at all. Dr. Wright assured me that Truman was well aware of his old friend's decline - probably before I even was - and had accepted Linus' death as the natural conclusion to his diminishing state.

He closed our time in the exam room by giving me a hug and telling me I had given Linus a life that any dog could only wish for and that he would take the best care of Truman that he could - and if I needed anything, just call.

Of course, by that point, I was in full blown tears. Not only was I extremely comforted by Dr. Wright's words and insights but the fact that our vet, who doesn't own his own practice (we go to a Banfield Pet Hospital), took time out of what I am sure was a super busy and demanding day to express compassion, concern, and care at the passing of one of his patients, was so amazing to me.

I figured most of the time we speak of vets, we complain so it would be good to share a story about a vet going above and beyond his duty to comfort a grieving pet owner for no other reason than that he cared.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh Jill...I'm so glad your vet took the time to just be there. There are many stages and depths to your grief..just know, you are and were the best mom to Linus and Truman too. I know how much it helps to have that compassion. :hug:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I hope someone sees this and lets the Clinic and staff, that what they did and how they do it, is MUCH appreciated. You are such an eloquent writer, that I felt I was there with you, on each of your posts, this one and when you posted previously about Linus's passing.

Good Vets, Techs, heck GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE is next to impossible to get nowadays. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost 3 of my beloved dogs(children) in this past year. I know the terrible loss you are going through. Each one takes a piece of your heart with them but gave you so much while they were here with you.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Now I'm in tears too. It's so touching to hear about this vet and how he took time with you to talk about Linus. Thank you for sharing that experience, Jill.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What an amazing vet, thank you for sharing this. It's amazing how far a bit of compassion can go, and he sounds like a truly caring man.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
What a compassionate wonderful vet. Thank you for sharing your story.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You are an amazing writer, Jill...I am grateful you've shared your thoughts
and feelings about Linus's death & afterwards. What a wonderful blessing
your vet is, you so richly deserved to hear his words of knowledge, experience
and comfort he gave you. I admire your courage & strength, what a hard trip
to make but thank god you did! Keeping you & yours in thought & prayer.
:hug:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Wow. That was wonderful that he took the time. That is a wonderful man.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I hope someone sees this and lets the Clinic and staff, that what they did and how they do it, is MUCH appreciated. You are such an eloquent writer, that I felt I was there with you, on each of your posts, this one and when you posted previously about Linus's passing.

Good Vets, Techs, heck GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE is next to impossible to get nowadays. :)

Great idea [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]! I am definitely going to send my experience to Banfield Corporate. Dr. Wright deserves some recognition.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
When I email a big corporation, I google things like CEO Banfield Corporate Corp, Customer Service, Accounting, etc etc etc, and WHOEVER's email I find, I add to the list, and I title it something to grab their attention 'My WONDERFUL Experience at Bainfield - Mytown USA' or 'A *BIG* thank you!

something Bright, Cheery, upbeat. you are taking the time to write about the experience, you really want them to OPEN the email to read it :) Also include the local store, inquire their District Mangers Name, Email address etc.

Isnt Bainfield inside of PetSmarts or PetCo ? Email them too :) :) make sure you leave an address how they can get up with you. (by the way, I do this alot, and they are so appreciative for some GOOD comments, I've received coupons etc just for taking the time to write !, this obviously isnt your motivation, you want to recognize the Vet and his Staff, if you got any of the Vet tech's names, make it personalized, I was greeted by Suzi, and Bill let me in the room. The Vet Techs probably dont hear 'Job Well done' very often.

You want my business? Give me Customer service, heck you can burn my dinner, if you atleast apologize, and make it right :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you for your story. It is always nice to hear about compassionate people and from the sounds of it you have a very compassionate vet whish to me is a good thing as they are so hard to find.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for sharing this story... I agree w/everyone here, you should think of writing a book at some point!!! Prayers to you & your family...

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Thank you for sharing that Jill, what a very nice man to take the time and spend with you and talk about these things that would have been going through your head as sadly there are not enough Vets that take there time with us.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am so sorry about the loss of Linus. These little fur people sure take pieces of your heart with them when they go to the bridge. Your vet sounds wonderful. It is nice to know you have someone caring for your dogs who is so compassionate and empathetic.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.