Questions about laying position

B

Baxter Tiberius

The outward bent "knees" they do in that position is the same position Baxters Orthopedic doctor moved his legs to show that it was dislocated. Back when he was a puppy. He bent the leg outward like that, and Baxter winced. During his obstruction surgery, the ER doc put his leg back in the socket. Honestly I have wondered why they lay like that given the hip dysplasia they tend to have. I think the answer is simply this: English Bulldogs have underformed hip joints which *enables* them to lay like this. Its similar to looking "double jointed". Whether it puts strain on the joint or not, I am not sure. But I understand where her thinking is coming from. Its not a natural direction for a dogs leg to bend. I think in the end, just make sure your pup is on a good Glucosamine supplement weekly, and any joint issues will be minimized. Was reading a study a few months ago and they said hip dysplasia in breeds prone to hip dysplasia can be minimized by nearly 65% by simply keeping their body weight down. Weight pressing on the joint is the #1 cause of hip dysplasia in old age.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
All three of mine have always laid that way "Super Bulldog". I think it relieves weight from their joints, and as previously stated, helps them keep cool. Bocephus is on his cooleroo right now in that position