Thinking about crating.. Is it cruel?!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I just want to add words of support for crating: they are anything but cruel! Are you upset by sleeping in your comfy bedroom? Nope! And neither is a bully when they settle into a place they think of as safe, comfortable, and a place of relaxation. I have crated all three of my bullies and would do so for all future dogs without hesitation. Not only that, when they have to be crated in a vet situation, it will not cause them a lot of stress because they are used to being comfortable in crate!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It is not cruel and once they get used to it they actually like them. It's their little home. Ours will even go in their crates sometimes on their own when they want some peace and quiet. We crate ours when we are not home. It is actually safer for them to be crated. It keeps them from getting into things they should not and even keeps them from chewing an electrical card. The wire crates are better for bullies, as they have better air circulation then the plastic crates so they will not get hot in them.

Exactly how it is here. They LOVE their houses!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
IMG_1656.jpg

Picture is worth a 1,000 Words, The door is wide open, and this is Rocky inside his crate. Rambo does the same thing with his crate during the day. They both use their crates much like Linus did his blanket, it's a security thing for them. Now you must be asking, is this something you have to start in puppyhood. Answer, Rocky was 9 months old when I got him, he had never seen a crate before, and you see him in his crate with the door open, by the way he's 16 months now. The secret I used, was to allow him to explore it on his own for a few days, then using it to crate him a few hours while I ran errands, then I worked him into it for his own security. Both of my boys are very well behaved, with one exception, when I have company, they get so excited, they team up on who ever comes in, So I ask friends to call before arriving so that I may crate them both before they come in, after settling down, I can then uncrate them and allow them roam again. Hope this answers your question with a picture statement. :yes:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
View attachment 50967

Picture is worth a 1,000 Words, The door is wide open, and this is Rocky inside his crate. Rambo does the same thing with his crate during the day. They both use their crates much like Linus did his blanket, it's a security thing for them. Now you must be asking, is this something you have to start in puppyhood. Answer, Rocky was 9 months old when I got him, he had never seen a crate before, and you see him in his crate with the door open, by the way he's 16 months now. The secret I used, was to allow him to explore it on his own for a few days, then using it to crate him a few hours while I ran errands, then I worked him into it for his own security. Both of my boys are very well behaved, with one exception, when I have company, they get so excited, they team up on who ever comes in, So I ask friends to call before arriving so that I may crate them both before they come in, after settling down, I can then uncrate them and allow them roam again. Hope this answers your question with a picture statement. :yes:

I agree, I introduced to the crate with making it the fun and interesting place with a treat as well but didn't lock Ace in all at once. When he got used to it and liked it then I would leave him in it unlocked and let him come and go and then inside with it closed for short periods at first then longer. He seems to like his and will even try to get in Gabe's the maltese's crate when he can and he fills it up wall to wall. I have also noticed when I am off and they are free to roam that they still tend to sleep about as much time as they would spend otherwise in their crates when we are away at work. In fact Ace if he stays up late at night with me on the weekends he gets all irritable like a child does when they don't won't to go to bed but are really sleepy. So I take him to his crate and in less than a few minutes he is snoring away.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
It's not cruel if its not for extended periods of time. We used to keep Luca in his crate while we were at work. My girlfriend would come home from lunch to let him out for a bit midday. Also we would put up a doggy fence around the crate so he could come out and stretch his legs a bit.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Alright. A friend gave me his dogs old crate. Maggie made herself right at home with no problem. But is it big enough? She seems to like it but I don't want her stuck somewhere too small for too long and I never crated my old dogs so idk how big it should be.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375848181.646946.jpg

She looks mad but she's just sleepy haha

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I used to think it was cruel and never crated meeko but now I wish I did - he doesnt chew things he never has but more to have his own space and somewhere to put him when hes acting up
Also.. i really really dont mean this harsh but .. is it crueller to crate her or leave her choke to death on an obstruction blocking her throat.praying it never happens but if it did u would never forgive yourself

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
No crate training is not cruel, at least you know she is safe while you are not there and has not eaten anything and choked and no one there to help Maggie and you come home and find her dead. For her sake and your own peace of mind I would get the crate off your friend and start training Maggie with it.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
No crate training is not cruel, at least you know she is safe while you are not there and has not eaten anything and choked and no one there to help Maggie and you come home and find her dead. For her sake and your own peace of mind I would get the crate off your friend and start training Maggie with it.

I already have. I'm just wondering if its a good size. She seems comfortable but I just want to make sure. She can get up and turn around in it. I'll have to get a water bowl for it since hers is HUGE.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I already have. I'm just wondering if its a good size. She seems comfortable but I just want to make sure. She can get up and turn around in it. I'll have to get a water bowl for it since hers is HUGE.

I'm not sure what size you need as I have a babies playpen that I use for Ftse and he loves it and I used to put him in a bare garage when I was at work but now I work at home he doesn't need to go in there but when he wants to go to bed he sits at the pen for me to let him in I think he enjoys his time by himself, maybe if I not big enough you may need to get a bigger one I use a fountain water bowl in his pen Water Bowl 001.jpg this way he can move around and doesn't spill the water or walk in it.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It looks like she thinks it is big enough. I've seen many cases where when offered a big space and a small space the dogs will pick the small one. They seem to like the more den like feel of being in a small space.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.