DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Until I got Dudley, I felt the same way you do. But, I had to work and I was terrified something would happen to him...so he started in his crate when I got him at 8 weeks old! He was SO easy to potty train -- He hasn't had an accident since he was 12 weeks old (except once when he had a little tummy issue) -- he's 2 1/2 now. Now that I work at home, he has free roam, but where do I find him when I leave my upstairs office and come down? Yep, asleep in his crate! I leave the door open, his bed and blankie are in there...it's his spot. I don't crate him at night any more, but honestly...he often goes in there. In fact, where is he right now? Asleep in his crate!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I totally agree with David. You can also buy a really nice bed for like $30 at walmart that is 6" thick of memory foam for their extra comfort. (Might want to make sure your bully can handle bedding first before splurging on something nicer though)

I think it's crueler to let them roam free knowing all the dangers.

Read all the threads about crate training.

Remi (our bully) just walks right into his crate at bed time. I can tell he's like, "Okay. Let's go. I'm tired."

Agree, agree. When your home let them roam, but when your away crating is way safer

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It is not cruel and once they get used to it they actually like them. It's their little home. Ours will even go in their crates sometimes on their own when they want some peace and quiet. We crate ours when we are not home. It is actually safer for them to be crated. It keeps them from getting into things they should not and even keeps them from chewing an electrical card. The wire crates are better for bullies, as they have better air circulation then the plastic crates so they will not get hot in them.

David said everything I would have. Amelia is crated when we aren't home, when she needs a time out, and at night. HRH doesn't need to be, but she was 3 1/2 when we got her and has perfect house manners. She would have been crated if it was necessary.
Amy may earn freedom if she continues the way she is now. She shows very little indication of being a bad chewer. But she's only 5 months old, so the jury is still out. For now for her own safety she has her crate.

You may have some resistance from Maggie at first, but she will, like David said, get to the point that it is her "haven" and everyone will be happier.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Me too. Bea was my first "crate train". I feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner. They LOVE their crates!
@Vicaroo1000
I just LOVE your little bully area w/all your pictures... SO cute :D

I have crate trained all of my dogs, it's the best thing for their safety & your piece of mind!!! If we are gone for the day (and they are locked up!) we will take them for a walk, or play w/them outside to really wear them out... I have found that my doggies are less destructive when I exercise them on a regular basis. And let's face it, w/Bullies that may only be 15 minutes LOL Winston seems to like socks & shoes, luckily he hasn't swallowed anything yet... we try to keep all that stuff away from him! Good luck...

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
In my opinion if she ends up spending more time in the crate than out of it its cruel. If you crate her for the night...8 hours...crate her for the day when you're at work or at school...another 8 hours or more...then on some days when you go out with friends, even more...
Dogs and bullys get use to lot of things, they even get use to spending all their time in the crate and don't even want to come out.

NO offense here. I agree with you 100%. Crating is NOT just a tool for lazy humans! :yes:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree w the others as well. Dogs are den animals. They like to sleep and rest in den-like areas. it is an instinct of theirs. which is why you will see a dog sleeping under things like chairs, tables etc, When used the right way, a crate becomes a den for a dog. Obviously crating 24/7 is not correct either, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are wanting to do. I would def get a doggie bed but something durable if your bully likes to chew. We use the kong bedding. We crate trained Brie w potty training so she is used to going in for a few hours at a time for a nap. I do let her sleep in bed w me tho so crating her when I go out doesn't bother me. The other thing you can look into is a play pen. You can set it up in a room n give her a few durable toys, a bed even if you wanted and water - I'm assuming she is potty trained? How many hours at once are you talking about? If you do go w the crate, there are very simple steps you can take to make the crate feel like a good place to her.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w the others as well. Dogs are den animals. They like to sleep and rest in den-like areas. it is an instinct of theirs. which is why you will see a dog sleeping under things like chairs, tables etc, When used the right way, a crate becomes a den for a dog. Obviously crating 24/7 is not correct either, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are wanting to do. I would def get a doggie bed but something durable if your bully likes to chew. We use the kong bedding. We crate trained Brie w potty training so she is used to going in for a few hours at a time for a nap. I do let her sleep in bed w me tho so crating her when I go out doesn't bother me. The other thing you can look into is a play pen. You can set it up in a room n give her a few durable toys, a bed even if you wanted and water - I'm assuming she is potty trained? How many hours at once are you talking about? If you do go w the crate, there are very simple steps you can take to make the crate feel like a good place to her.
Do you like the Kong bed? Winston has chewed up 2 beds now, but only if they are in the crate w/him. I have dog beds that are around the house, and he doesn't destroy them...

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Shy used to be crated - only for few weeks -she loved it and often went into her crate for her nap times - i only stopped crating her when i was fostering a dog that chew everything (she managed to break the crate and start on my coffee table too ) since then i haven't bother to buy another crate as Shy was sleeping with us now i bought a dog gate so when we are out dogs are in the kitchen -with plenty of toys and kongs to keep them occupied .
I second everyone here it is not cruel to crate your dog (if she or he is not locked in it for most of the day ;-)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can detect some of you got offended. Sorry, not my intention.
My other pup is also a chewer and can't have free roam of the house like the other. When he was just a small pup he had his crate and X-pen around it. He stil can't be trusted, so when we're not home he stays in one room, where there's nothing he can hurt himself on and his toys are there, water and bones to chew on.
No offense taken at all as I agree with you. The longest Harlea is in her crate is at night. For naps it is usually an hour to hour and a half. For time outs it is 10 to 15 minutes just for her to calm down. When she goes to work with my wife out of the 6 or so house there she is only in her crate for rest periods between playing with the other puppies to give all the puppies a break. The rest of the time she is in and out on her own. People that just leave them in there 23 out of 24 hours shouldn't have them to begin with.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I take Maggie with me as much as I can when I go out. She goes with me on coffee runs, to the laundromat, to my studio, etc.... But I work about 3 or 4 long shifts a week (9 hours) and I hate leaving her alone but i gotta bring home the dog food. My boyfriend is usually home before I am so she's not alone the whole time. I wouldn't put her up at night cause she's usually sleeping with me. Yeah I feel bad but I gotta do it. She's not super active. We walk once a day but her favorite thing is to sleep. So I guess she doesn't hate me too much. Thanks for all the encouraging words.

P.s. the crate is metal and pretty big. So she will have plenty of room.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Do you like the Kong bed? Winston has chewed up 2 beds now, but only if they are in the crate w/him. I have dog beds that are around the house, and he doesn't destroy them...

Yes, we love it! brie doesn't chew it, it is relatively comfy and easy to clean In The wash. It wasn't too bad price use.lcant remember exact amount. Maybe 30 or so?

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, we love it! brie doesn't chew it, it is relatively comfy and easy to clean In The wash. It wasn't too bad price use.lcant remember exact amount. Maybe 30 or so?
I will check that out... I usually buy the beds from Sams (they run between $20 - $30) but I guess I need to upgrade to something more indestructible!!! LOL

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! As I can read, you have gotten good advice. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents! I have had many pups in my lifetime. I have always crate-trained. Some were grown dog rescues, who had such anxiety in the beginning, they had to be crated(when I wasn't there to watch them) as they would also swallow anything they got near.I had a large dog, who had been abused and he was a nervous wreck. He was crated when I left the house. After a month-he settled in, never chewed anything again-but always loved his crate.He had been passed around from home to home-no one ever gave him a chance to settle. He turned out to be a wonderful dog! NEVER use the crate as punishment(always was my theory) and I give them a couple of treats, when they go in(when I am leaving the house) It IS the safest thing you can do for your pup, when you have to leave! You will have to judge your own pup, to know if bedding can be put in-or if IT will be torn and swallowed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.