Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about crating.. Is it cruel?!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thinking about crating.. Is it cruel?!

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Attachment 50967

Picture is worth a 1,000 Words, The door is wide open, and this is Rocky inside his crate. Rambo does the same thing with his crate during the day. They both use their crates much like Linus did his blanket, it's a security thing for them. Now you must be asking, is this something you have to start in puppyhood. Answer, Rocky was 9 months old when I got him, he had never seen a crate before, and you see him in his crate with the door open, by the way he's 16 months now. The secret I used, was to allow him to explore it on his own for a few days, then using it to crate him a few hours while I ran errands, then I worked him into it for his own security. Both of my boys are very well behaved, with one exception, when I have company, they get so excited, they team up on who ever comes in, So I ask friends to call before arriving so that I may crate them both before they come in, after settling down, I can then uncrate them and allow them roam again. Hope this answers your question with a picture statement.
    I agree, I introduced to the crate with making it the fun and interesting place with a treat as well but didn't lock Ace in all at once. When he got used to it and liked it then I would leave him in it unlocked and let him come and go and then inside with it closed for short periods at first then longer. He seems to like his and will even try to get in Gabe's the maltese's crate when he can and he fills it up wall to wall. I have also noticed when I am off and they are free to roam that they still tend to sleep about as much time as they would spend otherwise in their crates when we are away at work. In fact Ace if he stays up late at night with me on the weekends he gets all irritable like a child does when they don't won't to go to bed but are really sleepy. So I take him to his crate and in less than a few minutes he is snoring away.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

It's not cruel if its not for extended periods of time. We used to keep Luca in his crate while we were at work. My girlfriend would come home from lunch to let him out for a bit midday. Also we would put up a doggy fence around the crate so he could come out and stretch his legs a bit.

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Alright. A friend gave me his dogs old crate. Maggie made herself right at home with no problem. But is it big enough? She seems to like it but I don't want her stuck somewhere too small for too long and I never crated my old dogs so idk how big it should be.

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375848181-646946-jpg

She looks mad but she's just sleepy haha

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375852329-657389-jpg
    Here's one of her laying down.

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

I used to think it was cruel and never crated meeko but now I wish I did - he doesnt chew things he never has but more to have his own space and somewhere to put him when hes acting up
    Also.. i really really dont mean this harsh but .. is it crueller to crate her or leave her choke to death on an obstruction blocking her throat.praying it never happens but if it did u would never forgive yourself
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

No crate training is not cruel, at least you know she is safe while you are not there and has not eaten anything and choked and no one there to help Maggie and you come home and find her dead. For her sake and your own peace of mind I would get the crate off your friend and start training Maggie with it.

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    No crate training is not cruel, at least you know she is safe while you are not there and has not eaten anything and choked and no one there to help Maggie and you come home and find her dead. For her sake and your own peace of mind I would get the crate off your friend and start training Maggie with it.
    I already have. I'm just wondering if its a good size. She seems comfortable but I just want to make sure. She can get up and turn around in it. I'll have to get a water bowl for it since hers is HUGE.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alyssahope View Post
    I already have. I'm just wondering if its a good size. She seems comfortable but I just want to make sure. She can get up and turn around in it. I'll have to get a water bowl for it since hers is HUGE.
    I'm not sure what size you need as I have a babies playpen that I use for Ftse and he loves it and I used to put him in a bare garage when I was at work but now I work at home he doesn't need to go in there but when he wants to go to bed he sits at the pen for me to let him in I think he enjoys his time by himself, maybe if I not big enough you may need to get a bigger one I use a fountain water bowl in his pen -water-bowl-001-jpg this way he can move around and doesn't spill the water or walk in it.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like she thinks it is big enough. I've seen many cases where when offered a big space and a small space the dogs will pick the small one. They seem to like the more den like feel of being in a small space.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alyssahope View Post
    I'll have to get a water bowl for it since hers is HUGE.
    Don't use a water bowl in the crate unless you can get the ones that clip to the side otherwise you could have a huge mess. I believe @Casper has something like that. Instead of bowls we have a water bottle with a stainless steel spout on it similar to a hamsters water bottle and have it attached to the outside of the crate and Harlea uses it just fine and we have no mess from it at all.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Forde is 4 and i have crated him since day 1.....due to not wanting to be worried when i'm away.......i don't crate him at night but he is in my room on his bed, with my door closed and there is nothing ( knock on wood) that he can get that he shouldn't have.....he loves his crate....never use the crate for punishment ( imo ) always make it a good place.....and like others stated he will go in during the day and lie down, take a toy etc

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

It's hard to tell the crate's size. As long as she can get in, stand up, turn around and fully lay down in it it should be good. You not want it small but you don't want it huge either if you are going to crate grin her w it. If she can lay down fully comfortably then it will be a perfect den for her!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads