Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about crating.. Is it cruel?!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thinking about crating.. Is it cruel?!

Shy used to be crated - only for few weeks -she loved it and often went into her crate for her nap times - i only stopped crating her when i was fostering a dog that chew everything (she managed to break the crate and start on my coffee table too ) since then i haven't bother to buy another crate as Shy was sleeping with us now i bought a dog gate so when we are out dogs are in the kitchen -with plenty of toys and kongs to keep them occupied .
    I second everyone here it is not cruel to crate your dog (if she or he is not locked in it for most of the day ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I can detect some of you got offended. Sorry, not my intention.
    My other pup is also a chewer and can't have free roam of the house like the other. When he was just a small pup he had his crate and X-pen around it. He stil can't be trusted, so when we're not home he stays in one room, where there's nothing he can hurt himself on and his toys are there, water and bones to chew on.
    No offense taken at all as I agree with you. The longest Harlea is in her crate is at night. For naps it is usually an hour to hour and a half. For time outs it is 10 to 15 minutes just for her to calm down. When she goes to work with my wife out of the 6 or so house there she is only in her crate for rest periods between playing with the other puppies to give all the puppies a break. The rest of the time she is in and out on her own. People that just leave them in there 23 out of 24 hours shouldn't have them to begin with.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

I take Maggie with me as much as I can when I go out. She goes with me on coffee runs, to the laundromat, to my studio, etc.... But I work about 3 or 4 long shifts a week (9 hours) and I hate leaving her alone but i gotta bring home the dog food. My boyfriend is usually home before I am so she's not alone the whole time. I wouldn't put her up at night cause she's usually sleeping with me. Yeah I feel bad but I gotta do it. She's not super active. We walk once a day but her favorite thing is to sleep. So I guess she doesn't hate me too much. Thanks for all the encouraging words.

P.s. the crate is metal and pretty big. So she will have plenty of room.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Do you like the Kong bed? Winston has chewed up 2 beds now, but only if they are in the crate w/him. I have dog beds that are around the house, and he doesn't destroy them...
    Yes, we love it! brie doesn't chew it, it is relatively comfy and easy to clean In The wash. It wasn't too bad price use.lcant remember exact amount. Maybe 30 or so?

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisabear123 View Post
    Yes, we love it! brie doesn't chew it, it is relatively comfy and easy to clean In The wash. It wasn't too bad price use.lcant remember exact amount. Maybe 30 or so?
    I will check that out... I usually buy the beds from Sams (they run between $20 - $30) but I guess I need to upgrade to something more indestructible!!! LOL

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Hello! As I can read, you have gotten good advice. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents! I have had many pups in my lifetime. I have always crate-trained. Some were grown dog rescues, who had such anxiety in the beginning, they had to be crated(when I wasn't there to watch them) as they would also swallow anything they got near.I had a large dog, who had been abused and he was a nervous wreck. He was crated when I left the house. After a month-he settled in, never chewed anything again-but always loved his crate.He had been passed around from home to home-no one ever gave him a chance to settle. He turned out to be a wonderful dog! NEVER use the crate as punishment(always was my theory) and I give them a couple of treats, when they go in(when I am leaving the house) It IS the safest thing you can do for your pup, when you have to leave! You will have to judge your own pup, to know if bedding can be put in-or if IT will be torn and swallowed.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Agree, agree. When your home let them roam, but when your away crating is way safer
    Love this. A rhyme on accident - or totally intentional??

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Love this. A rhyme on accident - or totally intentional??
    It was accidental but I noticed that too afterwards.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I just want to add words of support for crating: they are anything but cruel! Are you upset by sleeping in your comfy bedroom? Nope! And neither is a bully when they settle into a place they think of as safe, comfortable, and a place of relaxation. I have crated all three of my bullies and would do so for all future dogs without hesitation. Not only that, when they have to be crated in a vet situation, it will not cause them a lot of stress because they are used to being comfortable in crate!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    It is not cruel and once they get used to it they actually like them. It's their little home. Ours will even go in their crates sometimes on their own when they want some peace and quiet. We crate ours when we are not home. It is actually safer for them to be crated. It keeps them from getting into things they should not and even keeps them from chewing an electrical card. The wire crates are better for bullies, as they have better air circulation then the plastic crates so they will not get hot in them.
    Exactly how it is here. They LOVE their houses!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    People that just leave them in there 23 out of 24 hours shouldn't have them to begin with.

These ppl should be crated for 23-24 hours ... Ugh it is a den, not a jail

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

-img_1656-jpg

Picture is worth a 1,000 Words, The door is wide open, and this is Rocky inside his crate. Rambo does the same thing with his crate during the day. They both use their crates much like Linus did his blanket, it's a security thing for them. Now you must be asking, is this something you have to start in puppyhood. Answer, Rocky was 9 months old when I got him, he had never seen a crate before, and you see him in his crate with the door open, by the way he's 16 months now. The secret I used, was to allow him to explore it on his own for a few days, then using it to crate him a few hours while I ran errands, then I worked him into it for his own security. Both of my boys are very well behaved, with one exception, when I have company, they get so excited, they team up on who ever comes in, So I ask friends to call before arriving so that I may crate them both before they come in, after settling down, I can then uncrate them and allow them roam again. Hope this answers your question with a picture statement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads