Word to the Wise: Don't throw out your dog food bag!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wanted to pass along this little tidbit of advice to those of us (well, all of us) who are spending a lot of money on high quality food: don't throw the bag out right away in case there is a problem!

I just bought an expensive bag of Nature's Variety Instinct and dumped it into my dog food container and threw the bag in the garbage. I fed the dogs once or twice out of the bag when I noticed Baby T's stools were a little soft and then he started vomiting. Not long after, I noticed Linus drooling a lot, which is his telltale sign of an upset tummy. The only thing they had in common was that food so I looked at it and found a couple REALLY disgusting looking bugs in there! Since the original bag was buried in my garbage can, I put the rest in a garbage bag and took it back to the store just to see if there was anything they could do but, without the bag, I was out of luck...and out of another $60.

So, just something to think about since the food is very expensive and, despite many of these companies best efforts, things DO get into the food.

Linus and Baby T are doing okay since I only think they ate two servings each of the offending food but I'm hoping to see an improvement in Baby T's stools tomorrow or we'll be doing the bland diet!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Really bad cell phone pic of Baby T convalescing on the couch...for evidence! :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The same happened to me many months ago, but I did not find bugs, but the food smelled sour. Now I always inspect the bag for any pinholes before I purchase it. That is probably the only downside to good kibble- it's not full of all those preservatives like the bad stuff.

You should contact natures variety, and tell them just in case there have been other coplaints from that batch of food.... Just a thought.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
The same happened to me many months ago, but I did not find bugs, but the food smelled sour. Now I always inspect the bag for any pinholes before I purchase it. That is probably the only downside to good kibble- it's not full of all those preservatives like the bad stuff.

You should contact natures variety, and tell them just in case there have been other coplaints from that batch of food.... Just a thought.

Good idea, I will definitely do that...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Wow this is exactly the brand I buy for Vegas, he is on his third bag. I will have to be very careful to look for pinholes and smell, he does the best on the Salmon and it stinks, but thanks for putting this out there, I will definately be on the look-out for now on. Thank You.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] Good thread .. we do exactly the same because the big bags of Fromm do not re-seal too well. So we dump ours in an airtight huge food container too!!! In future I will keep the bag for a week or so!!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It was definitely the food! I washed up all the bins and dishes and mats and started them on a small portion of a new bag last night and both are feeling much, much better and have producing solid poops again ... and thankfully vomiting on their dog beds, as was the case yesterday. My entire first floor is wood or tile...why do they ALWAYS target the stuff that I have to put in the washing machine?!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
wow thanks for the advice never thought to keep the bag either

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I learned that the hard way also!! We had a bag of Blue with little tiny bugs...i threw the bag away so i was out of luck. Now i get my sons magnifying glass and check out the food plus I keep the bags for atleast a week or two incase something happens...I hope Baby T and Truman feel better soon:heart:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When we got Gracie we were told by the breeder to get a certain food. We also got a bin for it so we threw the bag away. When we found that the food was one star we got the Princess on something else. It's a good thing that Koi dont mind a little dog food mixed into their diet. lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Good tip! I too put my dog food in one of those pet food storage containers and then throw away the bag. Now I'll make sure to hold on to the bag for a little bit!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Speaking of food bugs, my friend bought a bag of Blue and it has all those tiny little white bugs.....so nasty. Thankfully she did have the food still in the bag and they were right at the top when she opened it.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I do that too, come home and put it in an airtight container and throw out the bag. I will save the bags in the future too. I would have dug that bag out of the trash, put the food in a trash bag and taken them both back. Maybe you would have had better luck. I can't believe you spent that much and the store wouldn't do anything for you. That's just not right. So glad to hear the boys weren't harmed badly by the buggy food. That could have been much more serious.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Poor babies. I hope they are feeling better. I put my bag in the container with the food when I had 2 different foods, now that they are on one I will remember to keep the bag because I was going to start dumping it all in the bin. Thanks for the tip.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online