Wire Brushes - Bad?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

I always see people using these crazy wire brushes on animals and I cringe.

If you took one of those things to your skin, you would cause thousands of microabrasions, scratches, and cuts. I can't imagine that an animal's skin is any different. Even if they don't outright bleed, its got to be bad for a bulldogs skin. Especially when the hair is so short. Its like wire right on the skin. And also when you deal with inflamed skin on bulldogs due to diet and other inflammatory conditions that result in shedding / alopecia / allergic skin reactions ... it seems to me you wouldn't want to further agitate that skin by scraping it.

As a result, do you all recommend a different type of brush for a bulldog?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I always see people using these crazy wire brushes on animals and I cringe.

If you took one of those things to your skin, you would cause thousands of microabrasions, scratches, and cuts. I can't imagine that an animal's skin is any different. Even if they don't outright bleed, its got to be bad for a bulldogs skin. Especially when the hair is so short. Its like wire right on the skin. And also when you deal with inflamed skin on bulldogs due to diet and other inflammatory conditions that result in shedding / alopecia / allergic skin reactions ... it seems to me you wouldn't want to further agitate that skin by scraping it.

As a result, do you all recommend a different type of brush for a bulldog?

my vet said to use a rubber bristle brush.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually I just got a slicker brush at [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] gave the recommendation. It doesn't really get out too much hair but it brings the blood to the surface of the skin and promotes healing I think.

I used it on my bullies last bath. I was surprised at all the large flakes that came out that didn't with the other brushes I have. The skin under these flakes became very pink and looked way better within 24 hours. The pores were obviously clogged and it really helped bring air to their skin. Their coats even look more fabulous now I'm really pleased. They loved it when I brushed them with it too.

I use the kong zoom groom the remove the shedding hair, works awesome.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I use the zoom groom and furmerator. My boys seems to love it and I brush gently once a day.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think it may be good for a once in a blue brushing if done gently. It will help to kind of stimulate and exfoliate the skin. I have a rubber brush that I also use to take off the loose hair after her bath. I have been thinking of buying her a natural boars hair bristle brush.

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
I used the Furminator on our golden retriever, cocker spaniel, and long haired cat to thin out thick areas and to get rid of matts, but I'm not sure why you'd need to use one on a short haired dog like a bully. You have to be really careful when you use the Furminator - if you go over the same area repeatedly it can cause skin abrasions. The blades are really sharp. I use a rubber brush on my bully and boston terrier and it works great. Gets rid of the loose hairs and I think it massages the skin - they love it!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thanks everyone! I used the search tool here and found that zoom groom rubber brush. Already on its way to me :)

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
I use a rubber mitt with little rubber prongs on it. It is gently, removes loose hair, stimulates his skin and he seems to like it. I think it works for me and my bully.:-)

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Are wire brushes really bad?. I just bought one and Taz isn't used to it yet, but now I'm not sure if I want to use.
If I have the receipt I will try to bring back.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I used the Furminator on our golden retriever, cocker spaniel, and long haired cat to thin out thick areas and to get rid of matts, but I'm not sure why you'd need to use one on a short haired dog like a bully. You have to be really careful when you use the Furminator - if you go over the same area repeatedly it can cause skin abrasions. The blades are really sharp. I use a rubber brush on my bully and boston terrier and it works great. Gets rid of the loose hairs and I think it massages the skin - they love it!

I actually use the zoom groom to loosen up the loose hair and the furminator to pick up all the loose hair off my bully. I dont actually run it thru his fur like I do on my lab who has the double coat. Its crazy because I really think my bully sheds more then my lab :rolleyes:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Furminator was a god sent for my last dog (american bulldog-that we had to return back to the shelter after bad aggression issues) i haven't tried it on Lily yet but im going to soon

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We only use the Kong Zoom Groom, and they love it.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I use the kong zoom groom and a natural bristle brush on Brie. I don't think they wire brushes are necessarily bad, think you just have to be mindful of how you brush with them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online