To fix or not to fix

Joelgreen11

Aug 1, 2013
Akron Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My 2 year old tank is not fixed. We were planning on breeding him and still might. If not we might get him fixed. He is not aggressive toward anyone or other dogs but he does tend to try to hump people sometime. I'm training him not to but My vet said if we do fix him theres a chance he will still hump. What do u all think????

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Please unless you are doing it for the betterment of the breed have your baby fixed.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I cant comment on getting fixed or not Ftse has not been done yet if he needs surgery one day then I will but otherwise no. as for the humping I got Pug fixed and boy he humped more after

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He may still hump even after being neutered. To neuter or not is strictly up to you, but it is better for him in the long run if you do, even though there are people who will disagree with that.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I haven't neutered chum for the sole reason Im afraid of him going under anesthesia for surgery..since his rabies shot caused so many complications I'm not doing anything to him anymore unless its absolutely necessary!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you do breed him its highly possible his humping behavior will get much, much worse.

Breeding your bully should not be taken lightly, and finding the right female who has great health and temperament may also be a challenge. You can't just find any female in the neighborhood... It's a long and very difficult process. Please read the breeding article to learn more about it.

Having him fixed may or may not improve his humping behavior but in many cases it does help after about a month afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I haven't neutered chum for the sole reason Im afraid of him going under anesthesia for surgery..since his rabies shot caused so many complications I'm not doing anything to him anymore unless its absolutely necessary!
I'm petrified to neuter Winston... we lost Bella during her spay, and I'm afraid I would have to be sedated to get thru another surgery :nope:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, neutering does not necessarily stop humping... but neutering has many health advatanges

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Welllll..... let me tell you, Mr. Vegas is 4.5 yrs old. He has been fixed for 4 years and HE STILL WILL OCCASIONALLY hump~!!! It was really, really bad when he was 1-3 yrs old, he has lessoned this behavior over the last year. When He was 2, I had a Christmas Eve Party and I had to spend the whole night with Vegas holding a leash because he wanted to "welcome" everybody HIS way. Having them fixed in certainly no guarantee that they will stop humping. I have proof~!!!! :cursing:

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I'm petrified to neuter Winston... we lost Bella during her spay, and I'm afraid I would have to be sedated to get thru another surgery :nope:

Omg I didnt realize that how you lost your baby! That is so scary. I worry about getting Daisy done. I know its good for them but I hate the idea of surgery. She was born with a hernia and the vet says its looking better so Im hoping we wont have to have surgery for that. :/

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow that must have been awful! Poor Bella! Ive heard quite a few stories like that before..Im playing it safe!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Wow that must have been awful! Poor Bella! Ive heard quite a few stories like that before..Im playing it safe!

We just decided today to have Rumble neutered. We knew it was something we wanted to do eventually and today he turned 10 months so we decided to schedule an appointment. I have heard so many horror stories that I am absolutely terrified. Poor Rumble Pig has no idea what is going to happen to him. I have a feeling he may no longer like car rides after his experience at the vet!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.