CHEW BONES

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
What kinds of bones are ok to give Rebel? we gave him a bone i believe it was half of a ham bone we bought from D&B , it was pretty big, but he started grinding down one side of it and crumbling it and then he would kinda cough and choke a little bit so i took it away, is it normal for it to crumble like that, it scared me because he was swallowing it and i dont know if it will hurt his stomach

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@REBELBABY I wouldnt give bones that are cooked they can break down and shards of bones can get stuck in your babies throat. The best types of bones to give is a raw femur bone 3" or bigger IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0679.jpgIMG_0677.jpg
You can ask your butcher to cut it down for you then freeze. This can keep them busy for a while working at getting the marrow out and gnawing on the bone (helps clean teeth). I also wouldnt buy the smoked bones for dogs at pet store too messy and again I dont trust they will not breakdown into shards. Also after they are finished getting the marrow you can stuff the bone with peanut butter, banana ect and freeze.

The only other bone I would let him eat is a nylabone.

Last edited:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
The only bone type things I give Raven are deer antlers or the heavy duty nylabones. The rest of the stuff can splinter and cause issues.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley LOVES his antlers and his Nylabone. He is particularly fond of the antlers that are strung on the rope -- his absolute favorite. They are expensive by they last for months and months...and keep him occupied!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Dudley LOVES his antlers and his Nylabone. He is particularly fond of the antlers that are strung on the rope -- his absolute favorite. They are expensive by they last for months and months...and keep him occupied!

I will pm you the place that I get mine from. I get huge ones and the pricing is great. Another member on here had shared it with me via PM. I ordered some solid foot long ones that are probably three inches in diameter and paid way cheaper than what what they were asking for split ones that were probably a third of the size locally. Check your pm for the website.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I am scared of split antlers but I am in love with whole antlers.

We love beef femur bones raw from the butcher the dogs eat the marrow out and we restuff and freeze. Which is a trick I learned here on EBN. Here is a picture from 2BullyMamma

bones.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The only thing we give our bullies to chew are Nylabones and Kong hard rubber toys, and that's it.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
The only bones Vegas gets it a big thick deer antler, he has had the same one for almost 2 years now. He also loves his Kong hard rubber toy.

Joelgreen11

Aug 1, 2013
Akron Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank loves deer antlers. There not cheap to buy but they do last along time. My hunter friends give me mine then I boil them and tank has at them

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I agree with everyone above... Nylabones, whole antlers, and the femur bones. The femur bones are also called "soup bones" and you can sometimes find them already frozen in the grocery stores. They are perfect! However, I would highly recommend giving it to your bullie outside, because the marrow does get messy. Afterwards, you can restuff them and refreeze them with goodies. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am scared of split antlers but I am in love with whole antlers.

We love beef femur bones raw from the butcher the dogs eat the marrow out and we restuff and freeze. Which is a trick I learned here on EBN. Here is a picture from 2BullyMamma

View attachment 50731

GREATEST thing EVER!! Keeps them busy, happy and then tired

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki used to get real bones and antlers but I worried he might break a tooth so we started giving him nylabone and he loves this and I feel like it cleans his teeth too :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online