Lifting leg to pee.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I'm curious hat age do males begin to lift their legs to pee? There is a couple males in my neighborhood and neither of them lift their legs to pee. Is that common due to their structure?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my male Bulldozer is 17 months old, and he still pees like a girl. Lol. He has never lifted his leg.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have heard that lifting to pee is a learned behavior... Winston is 7 mos & still squats, but he's only been around females.

My boxer is a female & she doesn't lift to pee, but she marks over other dogs urine like a male! She has a buddy Charlie who's a lab & she started copying his behavior. It's so funny...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca is 11 months old and is a squatter. In spite o the fact that he isn't built like a typical bulldog (very lean and lanky) I believe that he will continue to squat forever. Also, he doesn't care to mark his territory. He'll pee in the same spot everyday as opposed to a male of any other breed who spreads it around the neighborhood.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 4.5 years old and has never, ever lifted his leg. I ask my vet when he was a pup and our vet told us he was just lazy. I tend to believe it is his structure, top heavy.

Rudi Lim

Jun 27, 2013
My 7 month old Frenchie squats as he pees. He did tried to lift up his leg once when he was around 6.5months but I pushed him down to the squatting position while he is peeing. I read somewhere that when a dog starts to lift his leg to pee is when he gets too dominant by marking territories. I am not sure of this theory, maybe someone could enlighten me. One of the many reasons for me wanting him to be a squatter is because it wouldn't be so messy while peeing. :p

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
I think it is a learned type of behavior some do some dont if they only have grass to go on with nothing to lift to then they squat :)

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunky just turned 1 and still squats, he lifted once or twice when he saw bigger boys do it, bu he's rather short I'm sure it was too much work... silly boy!!

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
I completely agree!!. It's not messy or disgusting!. I'm glad Taz squats, and as big as he is its nice!. I hope that doesn't change!.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
If Koozer goes in the grass, he squats. But, if he has a tree or something higher, he lifts his leg. It's hilarious because I did not know he could get his leg up that high...it's quite impressive really.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If Koozer goes in the grass, he squats. But, if he has a tree or something higher, he lifts his leg. It's hilarious because I did not know he could get his leg up that high...it's quite impressive really.

This is what I was going to say... Mine only lift their leg if they choose to pee on the tree or something, otherwise they will squat most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I'm curious hat age do males begin to lift their legs to pee? There is a couple males in my neighborhood and neither of them lift their legs to pee. Is that common due to their structure?

Mac will be 2 in Sept. and he does not lift his leg. I believe he may have tried it once or, at least that's what I think he was trying to do!:ROFL: That does not stop him from waiting for Cleo to potty and then going and squatting over her spot but he doesn't do it to other dogs, only her. He likes to sniff the tree in our yard to 'see' the other dogs but then goes potty somewhere else. That could also be because of his super submissive behavior, too?

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby started lifting his leg around 6 months. He will only lift it if he is peeing on something like a tree or a pole. If he finds a patch of grass he likes he squats. Tubby over extends his leg when he lifts and usually falls over LOL he has figured out however that if he lifts his leg to rest it on something and then he won't topple over :lmao:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki does both! At home he squats on walks or if we are near anything that is tall he will lift he just started doing it recently. They can get thier chunky little legs pretty high :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online