Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This article made me so mad I had to share

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Default This article made me so mad I had to share

Has anybody read this article that this lady posted in Slate? Here is the link:http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...t_a_puppy.html

Basic premise is once you have skin kids you will totally neglect and hate your dog. I was so mad when I read this that I had to share with somebody. Seriously?!?! As a relatively newlywed (2 years this October) and hopefully trying for skin kids soon I was appalled that people think like this. It makes me so mad! I am pretty sure I will have enough love in me to give to both my skin kid(s) and my puppy. I have watched my sister have 3 kids and 2 dogs and she has continued to give equal love and never neglect any of her kids. Obviously some people aren't meant to have dogs or kids.

What do you think about the article?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This article made me so mad I had to share

I will get infuriated too if I read so I will pass, but I will tell you.... those that are in rescue will confirm, many of the pups that end up in shelters, rescue, on Craigslist are because 'new baby, don't have time' or 'dog does not like the baby'..... it is so angering at the lack of common sense done in preparing for the new addtion... if you feel/think this way then do not get pets if you plan to have children - that simple (IMO)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

That woman is a soul less moron that isn't even a good mother to her own children.

I feel sorry for the dog and the kids.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Wow just wow, that is really disturbing. That lady obviously doesn't know anyone like us on EBN because there are many people here that have dogs and children and manage to care for them all and love them all very much.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

This article is awful Makes me so mad how selfish people can be. I know people just like that person in the article and I feel so bad for the for her 3 dogs after she had her baby. She once told me she would be so happy once they died. When the baby came home they became backyard dogs. From being pampered and spoiled to ignored and forgotten. She never abused them but just ignored them.

I cant have children due to medical reasons but I would like to think if I did have skin babies I would never do that to my fur babies to me they would be equal.

People who do trial runs with dogs to see if they could raise kids are the just like this person who wrote this article

Real Name
    Debbie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rube
    Likes (Received)

The only thing I see as correct with this article is that This woman should never have a dog

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What a moron. Granted my animals came after my kids were born but they were still very small when we got them. At our high point we had 4 large dogs, 3 cats, 2 turtles, 20 frogs and about 500 fish in my 300 gallon tank and never had the issues this person talks about and all of them got attention every day. Sadly we have lost several of our furry kids over the years, and we are down to 2 dogs and 4 cats that all get crazy amounts of love and attention every day and I wouldn't have it any other way. Do they get on our nerves from time to time. Sure they do but we still love them just as much none the less.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Wow, that's all I can say is Wow. To think there are actually people out there like that, is disgusting. I can never figure out how you can get a puppy, love and bond with that puppy, go through all the training, and money for all their first puppy stuff at the vets, and then as soon as they grow and get bigger, they are forgotten, sent outside to the backyard, or doghouse, and ignored. Our pets are not a novelty, that you out grow, or forget about? When you get a dog, they should be treated like a member of your family, they deserve our love, care, and attention, just like any other member of our family, and when they are sick or hurt, they deserve the same care that we would give our own family, such as vet visits, medicine, surgeries they may need, and love. If people aren't willing to give this care to an animal that is totally dependent on us, (and unlike children who grow up and eventually become independant, dogs are not ever able to take care of themselves, they are dependant on us for their total care), then they shouldn't get a dog in the first place.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Oh my God! That poor dog! An object for her amusement until she decided to spit out some kids. I love the comments section..people are deservedly letting her have it! Velvel should be taken away from her to a home where shell be loved again...poor dog..just walking her is a problem for this woman..and the kid cant even wipe his own a** at 4 years old.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

against my better judgment...I read this article. I personally prefer dogs over kids(I don't have any). Shame on this woman.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Let me say up front, I don't have children. However, I know lots and lots of people who had dogs first and children second and they never treated their dogs the way this creature does!! How do you love a dog devotedly (I would suggest she really did not) and then stop?! Really? Geez, did she stop loving the oldest child when she had the second one, because I would contend that her problem is that she can't do more than one thing at a time. I know raising children is really tough -- I have friends, they have kids and it's hard...but all of them also have dogs...they don't get ignored or neglected. Someone should go rescue VelVel and get this woman a nanny!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't read the article, but I know SO many people like her... We had our fur babies first, we started out w/cats and then moved up to dogs once we started owning houses. Once we had our kids everyone adjusted fine, but it does take an effort on your part. As a general rule I normally don't like people that don't like animals... plain & simple!!! To me it's a character flaw... LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads