This article made me so mad I had to share

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Has anybody read this article that this lady posted in Slate? Here is the link:http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._you_re_having_a_baby_do_not_get_a_puppy.html

Basic premise is once you have skin kids you will totally neglect and hate your dog. I was so mad when I read this that I had to share with somebody. Seriously?!?! As a relatively newlywed (2 years this October) and hopefully trying for skin kids soon I was appalled that people think like this. It makes me so mad! I am pretty sure I will have enough love in me to give to both my skin kid(s) and my puppy. I have watched my sister have 3 kids and 2 dogs and she has continued to give equal love and never neglect any of her kids. Obviously some people aren't meant to have dogs or kids.

What do you think about the article?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will get infuriated too if I read so I will pass, but I will tell you.... those that are in rescue will confirm, many of the pups that end up in shelters, rescue, on Craigslist are because 'new baby, don't have time' or 'dog does not like the baby'..... it is so angering at the lack of common sense done in preparing for the new addtion... if you feel/think this way then do not get pets if you plan to have children - that simple (IMO)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
That woman is a soul less moron that isn't even a good mother to her own children.

I feel sorry for the dog and the kids.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow just wow, that is really disturbing. That lady obviously doesn't know anyone like us on EBN because there are many people here that have dogs and children and manage to care for them all and love them all very much.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
This article is awful :bitching: Makes me so mad how selfish people can be. I know people just like that person in the article and I feel so bad for the for her 3 dogs after she had her baby. She once told me she would be so happy once they died. When the baby came home they became backyard dogs. From being pampered and spoiled to ignored and forgotten. She never abused them but just ignored them.

I cant have children due to medical reasons but I would like to think if I did have skin babies I would never do that to my fur babies to me they would be equal.

People who do trial runs with dogs to see if they could raise kids are the just like this person who wrote this article :nope:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
What a moron. Granted my animals came after my kids were born but they were still very small when we got them. At our high point we had 4 large dogs, 3 cats, 2 turtles, 20 frogs and about 500 fish in my 300 gallon tank and never had the issues this person talks about and all of them got attention every day. Sadly we have lost several of our furry kids over the years, and we are down to 2 dogs and 4 cats that all get crazy amounts of love and attention every day and I wouldn't have it any other way. Do they get on our nerves from time to time. Sure they do but we still love them just as much none the less.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow, that's all I can say is Wow. To think there are actually people out there like that, is disgusting. I can never figure out how you can get a puppy, love and bond with that puppy, go through all the training, and money for all their first puppy stuff at the vets, and then as soon as they grow and get bigger, they are forgotten, sent outside to the backyard, or doghouse, and ignored. Our pets are not a novelty, that you out grow, or forget about? When you get a dog, they should be treated like a member of your family, they deserve our love, care, and attention, just like any other member of our family, and when they are sick or hurt, they deserve the same care that we would give our own family, such as vet visits, medicine, surgeries they may need, and love. If people aren't willing to give this care to an animal that is totally dependent on us, (and unlike children who grow up and eventually become independant, dogs are not ever able to take care of themselves, they are dependant on us for their total care), then they shouldn't get a dog in the first place.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Oh my God! That poor dog! An object for her amusement until she decided to spit out some kids. I love the comments section..people are deservedly letting her have it! Velvel should be taken away from her to a home where shell be loved again...poor dog..just walking her is a problem for this woman..and the kid cant even wipe his own a** at 4 years old.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
against my better judgment...I read this article. I personally prefer dogs over kids(I don't have any). Shame on this woman.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Let me say up front, I don't have children. However, I know lots and lots of people who had dogs first and children second and they never treated their dogs the way this creature does!! How do you love a dog devotedly (I would suggest she really did not) and then stop?! Really? Geez, did she stop loving the oldest child when she had the second one, because I would contend that her problem is that she can't do more than one thing at a time. I know raising children is really tough -- I have friends, they have kids and it's hard...but all of them also have dogs...they don't get ignored or neglected. Someone should go rescue VelVel and get this woman a nanny!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I didn't read the article, but I know SO many people like her... We had our fur babies first, we started out w/cats and then moved up to dogs once we started owning houses. Once we had our kids everyone adjusted fine, but it does take an effort on your part. As a general rule I normally don't like people that don't like animals... plain & simple!!! To me it's a character flaw... LOL

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Seriously ..it absolutely astounds me that people act like this. I actually have a friend who re-housed her two goldens after she had her two babies. I was completely shocked. I didn't think any of my friends would be like that. I mean I guess I am glad she found good loving homes for them instead of dumping them at a shelter but I think responsible people need to think long and hard about their lifestyle and what their future plans are when they get a dog. My husband and I absolutely love English Bulldogs and also realized the breed would work good for our lifestyle. We couldn't deal with a high energy dog that needed lots of exercise but we wanted a dog that would be good with children.

Seamus loves babies and kids. He is so gentle with them and loves being around them. He will be the best big brother our future kids will have and will always be considered part of the family. I can't imagine treating him any differently once we have children. I feel so sad when I read about neglected dogs. I would love to adopt all of them but my husband would kill me lol

Bbbimaj

Jul 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Hello!!
i see you are in DC. Where is your vet for your your bully?

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hello!!
i see you are in DC. Where is your vet for your your bully?

Hi! Yep we live right near Union Station but are thinking of moving out to the burbs in the next year or two so we can get a house. We go to Cherrydale Vet in Arlington. Dr. Sunny House (yes that is her name) is known for seeing bulldogs and has been great with Mr. Seamus. It is a bit more expensive than other vets in the area but totally worth it to have a vet who sees bulldogs regularly. Seamus got neutered there and she was amazing. My husband and I felt that it was worth the price to have peace of mind that Seamus would be put under okay for the surgery by a vet who had so much experience with bulldogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.