My sick meatball...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh I am so sorry for Meatball's troubles!! Will pray hard for good results with the ultrasound! Keep us posted!! Good luck!

OP
A

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Meatball is hope. He was happy to see us. He been doing lots of sleeping so far. They said he ate a little in hospital. Just hope we get him back to normal soon. Anyone else have a bulldog have part of the small intestine removed?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so glad he's home...he will need lots of love and rest. He will be himself soon.

I don't know anyone who had any intestine removed..but let me tag a few people who might know. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:muah2:I'm so glad to be reading that Meatball is out of surgery, and is doing well. How scary? Hoping he has a quick and easy recovery, and is back to his old self real soon. I don't have any experience with removal of a piece of intestine in dogs, but I know lots of people have had this surgery, and they live fine with this. We have very long intestines, and so losing a piece doesn't usually cause any problems, I would think it would be the same for dogs. I'm sure he will be fine. He just needs time to heal and some TLC from Mommy. He's a lucky boy to have you. What did he actually swallow, what did they find in him? Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and Meatball. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better soon Buddy. Bulldozer and Blossom send you big slobbery licks and kisses.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh gosh I can't believe I missed this. Glad to hear that so far Meatball is good. How did Dr. G miss the bone in the first xray? Did you go to VCA (Alameda East) on Tower? I guess that's the bad thing about xrays sometimes they just don't pick up everything. Meatball's a lucky boy. Sorry about part of his intestine having to be removed. Linus, [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] bully, had part of his intestine cut not just recently. She may have some insight to part of it actually being removed. I hope he has a very healthy and speedy recovery. :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had a friend of ours who's little bully had an obstruction and our vet operated on her. We brought her to our house after the surgery and kept her for a week to make sure she was OK. Not sure if they cut out any intestine or not, but I do know cutting out a small piece will not hurt anything. Just keep him as calm as you can and feed small portions of food several times a day for about 10 days, or do what your vet tells you to do. That's what our vet said to do with the food. We fed her soft food for about a week and then slowly added the hard kibble. After the week was up and she was doing fine, and she went home to her momma and dad.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Very happy to read your good report on Meatball.

I would think he'll be fine with some intestine gone, from what I understand.

Thank GOD for you being on top of this and getting an ultrasound...great job!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Glad to hear things are looking up for Meatball . Get well soon buddy

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry to hear that Meatball had to have surgery, but hopefully he will feel better soon! Sending lots of prayers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
A

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Well it has been a week since meatball started to get sick today. I am just happy that he is out cold in bed recovering today. He started to eat a little food yesterday and did all the bathrooms outside. So at least everything is working in terms of the plumbing for the little guy.

I did take him to the VCA on Alameda. That is right next to our old condos. Yeah I just wish the first XRays found it at Dr. G. But like you said xrays can hide things pretty well. I should have been more on top of asking for ultra sound. I was 75% sure hr had eaten the bone because we could not find the other part any where. It was not until we did the ultrasound that we saw the second part of the toy in the small intestine. Later I will try to get some pictures of the two toys.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad he's doing better, we've had an obstruction too and they get so sick... Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So glad they found the bone piece and toy. Dozer swallowed a sock last winter, and we didn't know it, I just knew he had swallowed something, he had all the signs of an obstruction, diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling. He became really lethargic and listless, he was sleeping a lot, I took him to the vet, and we did an X-ray, it showed a dark shadow in his intestine that was about 4 inches long. She said that if the object was in the colon, he would probably be able to pass it, but if it was in the intestine, he would more than likely need surgery. It was mostly in the intestine, but a little was in the beginning of the colon. She put him on IV fluids, gave him a pain medication, because she said bullies don't show pain, and whatever he was feeling times it by 10, she said he was in pain. She gave him a strong laxative, and he spent the day in the office, I stayed beside him, and held the IV tube in his neck, I was so worried and he just laid there and looked at me with those sweet eyes. When the office was closing, she send us home with the X-rays, a list of the medications he had been given, and a few cans of high fibre food. She called the emergency hospital, and informed them that we would more than likely be bringing Dozer in for surgery. Four hours after we got home, I took him out for his duties, and he was circling around looking to go poop, he was straining and then he passed something. After being a CSI poop agent, I found my grandsons Old Navy sweat sock he had swallowed. He was back to himself immediately except for being a little tired from the ordeal and medications. The next day the vet called us to see how Dozer was doing and she was surprised we hadn't had to go for surgery and he was able to pass the sock. She asked us to bring it in, and she wanted to recheck him to make to make sure he was okay. Dozer swallows objects all the time, he's relentless, and quick, when we walk outside, he grabs rocks, sticks, pinecones, paper, I'm constantly taking things out of his mouth, and inside he will sneak anything, socks, paper towel, small toys, and he once swallowed a dish cloth, so far we've been really lucky that he's passed everything, either by throwing it up, or pooping it out. I'm so glad I bought vet insurance when I first bought them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.