Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age?

kevi204

New member
Joined
Nov 6, 2012
Messages
97
Reaction score
2
Location
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age? Henry is almost 11 months and is great when there isn't a stranger (person or dog) around. If i take him out and he see's another person or dog he goes crazy just wanting to get close to them and play. He has been socialized quite a bit since he was a lil puppy but Now i'm really worried for his safety around other dogs. I mean i know bullies are kind of in your face type dogs when getting to know other dogs, but Henry just lunges as other dogs faces w/ excitement and w/o any fear.
-I know the answer is most likely "yes" but should i do more obedience training now?
-He went through puppy training but unfortunately there weren't any other dogs in his training group, just him. So he's obedient by himself but it's a whole nother story when around new people or dogs.
 
Do you have another dog at home? I've had at least 2 dogs at a time... I have only seen Winston around our other dog Roxie, and at the Pet Resort where he seemed very skittish with the other dogs. I know that my dogs seem to pack-up so to say so they learn their place (who's the alpha in the house).
 
Do you have another dog at home? I've had at least 2 dogs at a time... I have only seen Winston around our other dog Roxie, and at the Pet Resort where he seemed very skittish with the other dogs. I know that my dogs seem to pack-up so to say so they learn their place (who's the alpha in the house).

Yes, he's been around 2 other boston terriers for the past 3 months and there very respectfull to one another and play great together. Well of course i like to think i'm alpha, if i'm home he tends to follow me everywhere. But i'm sure i need to display more alpha behaviors myself with him. He's pretty obedient while in my world, but outside of the house is a different story.
 
Yes, he's been around 2 other boston terriers for the past 3 months and there very respectfull to one another and play great together. Well of course i like to think i'm alpha, if i'm home he tends to follow me everywhere. But i'm sure i need to display more alpha behaviors myself with him. He's pretty obedient while in my world, but outside of the house is a different story.
I haven't had Winston out as much as my other dogs, and I'm sure I will pay for that dearly... I would say knowing his temperament he will be submissive, but I guess you never really know. I would think that he's still young, it may be something he will learn w/age. My boxer is super friendly & loves to play w/everyone, but I have noticed that as she's gotten older she's definitely more wary. I've always been w/her around strange dogs so I don't know what she would do it I wasn't there...
 
My Frenchis is like this... Cheli just goes full throttle to any dog right in their face, which is not good. He is 2 yrs old and we struggle to get him not to do it. Best is to continue working with him and make him sit/stay until he settles. A second level training class would be good too as the next level after puppy is about leash control and distrations (usually)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top