Thread: Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age?

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

Default Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age?

Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age? Henry is almost 11 months and is great when there isn't a stranger (person or dog) around. If i take him out and he see's another person or dog he goes crazy just wanting to get close to them and play. He has been socialized quite a bit since he was a lil puppy but Now i'm really worried for his safety around other dogs. I mean i know bullies are kind of in your face type dogs when getting to know other dogs, but Henry just lunges as other dogs faces w/ excitement and w/o any fear.
    -I know the answer is most likely "yes" but should i do more obedience training now?
    -He went through puppy training but unfortunately there weren't any other dogs in his training group, just him. So he's obedient by himself but it's a whole nother story when around new people or dogs.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age?

Do you have another dog at home? I've had at least 2 dogs at a time... I have only seen Winston around our other dog Roxie, and at the Pet Resort where he seemed very skittish with the other dogs. I know that my dogs seem to pack-up so to say so they learn their place (who's the alpha in the house).

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does excitement when around other people/dogs tend to lessen with age?

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Do you have another dog at home? I've had at least 2 dogs at a time... I have only seen Winston around our other dog Roxie, and at the Pet Resort where he seemed very skittish with the other dogs. I know that my dogs seem to pack-up so to say so they learn their place (who's the alpha in the house).
    Yes, he's been around 2 other boston terriers for the past 3 months and there very respectfull to one another and play great together. Well of course i like to think i'm alpha, if i'm home he tends to follow me everywhere. But i'm sure i need to display more alpha behaviors myself with him. He's pretty obedient while in my world, but outside of the house is a different story.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kevi204 View Post
    Yes, he's been around 2 other boston terriers for the past 3 months and there very respectfull to one another and play great together. Well of course i like to think i'm alpha, if i'm home he tends to follow me everywhere. But i'm sure i need to display more alpha behaviors myself with him. He's pretty obedient while in my world, but outside of the house is a different story.
    I haven't had Winston out as much as my other dogs, and I'm sure I will pay for that dearly... I would say knowing his temperament he will be submissive, but I guess you never really know. I would think that he's still young, it may be something he will learn w/age. My boxer is super friendly & loves to play w/everyone, but I have noticed that as she's gotten older she's definitely more wary. I've always been w/her around strange dogs so I don't know what she would do it I wasn't there...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

My Frenchis is like this... Cheli just goes full throttle to any dog right in their face, which is not good. He is 2 yrs old and we struggle to get him not to do it. Best is to continue working with him and make him sit/stay until he settles. A second level training class would be good too as the next level after puppy is about leash control and distrations (usually)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads